Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/28/hunted-one-in-three-people-killed-by-us-police-were-fleeing-data-reveals
why were they fleeing??!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Pi wrote:
think positive wrote:
He was running from police, and had a gun in his car, wonder if he was known to them?
46 shots is a bit of, um Overkill, , but I’d like the full story.

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-shooting-of-jayland-walker-doesnt-feed-any-narrative/

This a bit more detail than the standard ABC / Guardian narrative.
a few things they missed:
Tasers ware used but failed
The ethnic identity was probably not clear until after the shooting.
why was he wearing a ski mask?
He appears to have discharged a firearm on the freeway during the chase; this changes the procedures that the police were authorized to follow.

Questions likely to be asked: where did the majority of the rounds hit? if they were going for the legs instead of centre body mass then that would explain why so many shots were fired. (Most US cops have Glock 22's with 15 round mags.)
Was it safe to discharge that many rounds in that location?
Other than the Taser what other non lethal options were available?.

Was it overkill? probably; but the considerations of the officers were for their safety, many having probably gone to funerals of officers shot by already injured suspects during arrests.

Whatever the outcome of the enquiry the Guardian is unlikely give all the details.
**** I would have shot him too!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Sorry, but I read that article and it seems pretty clear that they massively overreacted. Thinking that a suspect maybe used a gun at one point during the chase and that he might be reaching for a gun that he may or may not have does not justify a dozen officers treating him like a pin cushion the minute he exits the vehicle. Because guess what: they were wrong and killed someone when they didn't need to even use a weapon at all.

If they can't handle these situations without pulling their guns out at the first opportunity then they shouldn't be cops, end of story.

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/28/hunted-one-in-three-people-killed-by-us-police-were-fleeing-data-reveals
why were they fleeing??!

Why does it matter? Do you think any reason – like, that they committed a crime and didn't want to be arrested – could justify shooting them? The point is that a fleeing suspect is not generally a direct threat, and that obviously guns shouldn't be used in lieu of not being able to chase after them and tackle them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:27 pm

^ Yes - killing a suspect is not a law enforcement strategy. It's just murder.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:31 am

Why kill a suspect who is not a threat to your life? Especially one running away from you? Law enforcement knows that they will get the person sooner or later alive so why make an effort to kill hm? Doesn’t make any sense.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:16 pm

Boston police chasing a white suspect arrested a black man: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/04/boston-police-chasing-white-suspect-wrongly-arrested-black-man-lawsuit-says
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:26 pm

While part of me suspects that we only hear of some of these stories due to the race of the victim, it's a very good thing that we do – because it's an appalling thing to happen to anyone, and the media should be reporting such cases.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:42 am

So, here we are again, with a black man, Tyre Nichols, killed by 5 police officers in Memphis. Video / Body Cam footage is set to be released today.

The big difference is that all five officers are black. All have been stood down by the Memphis Police Department and were recently charged with murder.

Authorities are concerned about rioting post the release of the video. Will we see the same community outrage that we saw following George Floyd's murder?

Last edited by What'sinaname on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:00 am

David wrote:
Sorry, but I read that article and it seems pretty clear that they massively overreacted. Thinking that a suspect maybe used a gun at one point during the chase and that he might be reaching for a gun that he may or may not have does not justify a dozen officers treating him like a pin cushion the minute he exits the vehicle. Because guess what: they were wrong and killed someone when they didn't need to even use a weapon at all.

If they can't handle these situations without pulling their guns out at the first opportunity then they shouldn't be cops, end of story.

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
why were they fleeing??!

Why does it matter? Do you think any reason – like, that they committed a crime and didn't want to be arrested – could justify shooting them? The point is that a fleeing suspect is not generally a direct threat, and that obviously guns shouldn't be used in lieu of not being able to chase after them and tackle them.

Because if the suspect was running away from a school, a night club, a movie theatre, a los vegas hotel, with a sub machine gun then you stop them at any cost!

It’s a fair question!

Last edited by think positive on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:24 am

What'sinaname wrote:
So, here we are again, with a black man, Tyre Nichols, killed by 5 police officers in Memphis. Video / Body Cam footage is set to be released today.

The big difference is that all five officers are black. All have been stood down by the Memphis Police Department and were recently charged with murder.

Authorities are concerned about rioting post the release of the video. Will we see the same community outrage that we saw following George Floyd's murder?

My first thought, and I’m sure the first for others, thank god they aint white. It won’t stop the riots though, US citizens should stock up on food, and bulletproof shutters. God help them. As for the cops, Tennessee has paused the death penalty. Nothing like a little prison justice though.

The country is imploding, it’s accelerating, it makes me so sad for the amazing people I have met there on our 6 road trips.

They have to get this right.

And how dumb are they? They know they have body cams, 5 onto one for a skinny guy not on ice, not 1 of them thought it’s overkill? Not one decent human amongst them? How the **** did these cretins get to adulthood?

Edit, that’s a rather insensitive post I realise, to the victim, his family. No defence. The resulting potential riots are terrifying to imagine. I won’t say no suspect deserves to die like that because I’d make exceptions for the likes of Ted bundy. This guy apparently has no record, he’s just an everyday family man, I just can comprehend how this happens. Where the mentality comes from.

Last edited by think positive on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:26 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Yes - killing a suspect is not a law enforcement strategy. It's just murder.
unless it’s self defence
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 pm

STraight up murder for at least 2 or 3 and at least 2nd degree for the others, no bail, gen pop

And the whitecap too

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:07 pm

It seems close to a law of nature that an insufficiently regulated police force will eventually devolve into bands of violent gangsters terrorising the community. This is a much more pronounced problem in other countries (e.g. Russia), but obviously the US is some way down that road.

The answer isn’t necessarily to defund the police, but it’s definitely to radically shake them up and curtail their powers – and, in some cases, to completely disband some corrupt police forces and start again from scratch.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:56 pm

It appears some black lives matter more than others. It appears that this time we have a black life lost that can't be used to drive the hate / racism agenda that ANTIFA and other left-wing nutters want.

Doesn't stop some of them trying. I've got to give this nutjob credit for trying.

Quote:

"Black cops ain't black, they blue," the individual states. "A pig is a pig, whether they black, white, brown, Asian, or Haitian. A cop is a cop and they are upholding White supremacy"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tyre-nichols-video-release-ignites-protesters-who-stomp-police-car-urge-crowds-burn-it-down

As TP mentioned. Thank god the police officers weren't white otherwise we would have seen how much this black life mattered.

The answer isn't defunding the police. In fact, when you weigh it all up, US police deal with a lot of a crap, especially in blue states which seem intent on not prosecuting criminals - you only have to look at the number of recent California's officers shot and / or killed by criminals who should have been behind bars.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:13 pm

Few on either side of politics will find this convenient to take note of, but one of the factors in police brutality is the huge power imbalance they wield. That’s represented most starkly by stuff like this: a Capitol rioter getting a seven-year prison sentence for spraying a police officer (who later died from unrelated causes) with pepper spray.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/27/us/politics/brian-sicknick-julian-khater-george-tanios-jan-6.html

Pretty sickening when you consider how indiscriminately American police use ostensibly non-lethal weapons like pepper spray and tasers, let alone guns. There’s another story here about politicised sentencing, of course – it’s manifestly obvious to me that the Capitol protesters have had the book thrown at them and then some for, in some cases, not really all that much – but it also illustrates the vast gulf of power between cops and citizens that can so easily be exploited.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 36 of 37   

Jump to: