Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/01/los-angeles-sheriffs-department-reckoning-police-shootings
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 pm

Arrow

Last edited by think positive on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/01/los-angeles-sheriffs-department-reckoning-police-shootings

Wow, long culture let alone wrong culture

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 am

White man accused of murder of cop at a traffic stop. Put that in the thread about the unlawful killing of a black man by police and the protests across the US following that killing? Sure, why not. Why be even remotely relevant?

https://www.fox23.com/news/local/who-is-man-accused-shooting-two-tulsa-police-officers/6D2UFWOQ7FGIDA74UJLA3SF4PI/

Meanwhile, here’s some things about the police in Oklahoma that are relevant:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/11/oklahoma-cop-black-americans-ought-be-shot-more/5346864002/

http://oklahoman.com/special/article/4747453/deadly-force-a-decade-of-oklahoma-city-police-department-shootings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/11/derrick-scott-oklahoma-city-police/
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am

Arrow

Last edited by think positive on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm

That was a very very short "summer of love" Laughing

Seattle police move in to clear 'occupied' area after Mayor orders Black Lives Matter protesters to leave

The protesters had occupied several blocks around a park for about two weeks and police had abandoned a precinct station following standoffs and clashes with the protesters, who called for racial justice and an end to police brutality. The area was set up near downtown following the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer.

Police on Wednesday said they moved in to protect the public after Mayor Jenny Durkan issued the order for protesters to leave. Chief Best said in statement that she supports peaceful demonstrations but that "enough is enough."

"The CHOP has become lawless and brutal. Four shootings--two fatal-robberies, assaults, violence and countless property crimes have occurred in this several-block area," she said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/seattle-police-clear-area-of-black-lives-matter-protesters/12413764?fbclid=IwAR3we9wdrAuRLqKDjD-jsU65ocadCFWrv03V7ZQAm4JquHZdNki0wk99Ubs

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:33 pm

^ Most people left at the start of last week, after the putative “organisers” issued a statement that the occupation was over. I haven’t been following who has stayed on (there are always people at the margins who can’t recognise when they’ve had enough of a good thing - like when one’s relatives stay on just a bit too long and wear out their welcome after Christmas dinner - teargas and riot gear is an option I’ll actively contemplate next time) but I expect the administration got to the point where they felt it couldn’t be allowed to dribble along any further.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Arrow

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Most people left at the start of last week, after the putative “organisers” issued a statement that the occupation was over. I haven’t been following who has stayed on ......

Steele Sidebottom?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 pm

think positive wrote:
yes, correct,t hey started leaving at the start of last week when it was announced that The police were going to take back the police station, and they realised the game was up - maybe they were running low on ammo or good bad guys, or bad good guys as the case may be

"The CHOP has become lawless and brutal. Four shootings--two fatal-robberies, assaults, violence and countless property crimes have occurred in this several-block area," she said.

thats quite a score, and doesnt include at least 1 sexual assault i read about.

this no police thing is really working out for them. and now the people who actually live in that community can breathe a sigh of relief and start cleaning up the huge mess left behind.

There's another school of analysis that I've seen that indicates that those experiences are about what you expect to happen if you're out and about in Seattle over that length of time. I have no idea if that's right or not - but I do think that, when looking at the US, one needs to be cautious in concluding that everything about the gun and other violence statistics would have been different if all the protesters had gone home at the same time.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Arrow
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=JtPfoEvNJ74&fbclid=IwAR3geEPs7GNGaln-83DyHxR3GdnUp6OTN-4uU7i1blbaOUEsal5MtqckJSM
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 am

A cyber retrospective:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/cyberattacks-since-the-murder-of-george-floyd/

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Meanwhile, two white policemen shot a black man in the back from close range. Seven times. While his children watched. He will never walk again.

Naturally, the white-hot anger at this saw people pouring into the streets and the usual mayhem ensued.

One 17-year-old gun nut - a white teenager with a thing about police uniforms and high-powered weapons - went out with a rifle and murdered two people. Shot them dead.

Incredibly, Trump's cheer squad leader Tucker Carlson on Fox News - owned by the same man who owns the Herald-Sun - came out and defended this gun-nut murderer.

Black guy shot seven times in the back by white police = "thug".
White kid with rifle going out onto the street and shooting two black guys stone dead = "patriot".

Only in the USA.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I've seen the footage of the black guy getting shot a few times. OK the cops were called for a domestic issue, I don't know the details, I don't know if he was allowed to take his kids or not, but nothing about that scene could justify the way he was just grabbed and shot in the back multiple times at point blank range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 29 of 37   

Jump to: