Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of systematic racism in US “law enforcement”:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/27/california-racism-policing-robert-fuller-antelope-valley

Quote:
A 2013 US justice department investigation documented a series of white supremacist-related crimes that had haunted Antelope Valley in the 1990s and early 2000s. The First African Methodist Episcopal church in Palmdale was firebombed in 2010. Three white youths allegedly killed a Black man in 1997 to earn a white supremacist tattoo. Two Black men were stabbed by a white mayoral candidate’s son who had been reciting “white power” slogans, and homes were vandalized with racial slurs and a swastika.

But when asked about what they feared more in Antelope Valley, Black men overwhelmingly responded: the police.

“I don’t care about the KKK because I’m allowed to defend myself against the KKK,” said Arthur Calloway II, 39, a Lancaster resident and president of the Democratic Club of the High Desert. “But every day I have to leave the house, not knowing if I’m going to get pulled over that day and if that could end up in an escalated situation with me actually not coming home.”

At the tree where Robert Fuller’s body was found in the early hours of 10 June, supporters had placed a bright green sign, splattered with red paint, among the flowers and the candles: “Cops and Klan go hand in hand”. Just 30 years ago, a group of deputies described by a federal judge as a “neo-Nazi, white supremacist gang” had been rooted out through a lawsuit that cost the county $9m. Authorities are investigating whether similar other gang-like cliques of deputies, stationed primarily in black and Latino neighborhoods, persist today.

Combined with the stories of the Black community, the Los Angeles sheriff’s department’s reputation of racism has solid footing in the valley. While working for a car rental agency, Love, the community organizer, was pulled over so many times that he had to ask his manager to call the sheriff’s station.

“One time, I was driving into a community and deputies were coming out and passing me and immediately, they turned their lights on and turned around and pulled me over,” said T, a black Lancaster man who asked to only be identified by his first initial out of fear of retaliation. “They said there was a break-in in the neighborhood I was going into. If there was a break-in, why would I be going back into the neighborhood where I just broke into a home?”

In 2015, the US justice department settled a lawsuit against Lancaster, Palmdale and the Los Angeles sheriff’s department for targeting black people with discriminatory enforcement of the federal housing choice voucher program. The investigation that preceded the settlement found that deputies in Antelope Valley engaged in a pattern of misconduct that included pedestrian and vehicle stops in violation of the fourth amendment, “stops that appear motivated by racial bias”, unreasonable use of force and discrimination against residents on the basis of race. A review of use-of-force cases from 2010 to 2011 in which the only charge was obstruction-related – resisting arrest – found that 81% involved black or Latino subjects
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Extremist right wingers set on fire a biracial woman (Black & Jewish) who is a student paramedic and a emergency medical technician close to demonstrations supporting Black Lives Matter

https://m.jpost.com/international/hate-crime-investigation-opened-after-jewish-biracial-woman-set-on-fire-633044

Appalling

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Fake hate crimes are indeed appalling. I've also got a bridge to sell you.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/biracial-wisconsin-woman-set-on-fire-in-possible-hate-attack/
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm

you know, the amount of horrendous attacks daily, it wouldnt be hard to find 4 black guys attacking a white guy for no good reason, is that a hate crime? Of course it is, unprovoked attacks, and even provoked attacks are all hate crimes. you are really feeding of this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Go ahead, Knock yourself out listing them all.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 pm

I dont need to, everyone here, even you, knows its true.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=900174413789875
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 pm

I didn't realise fascists did satire. Good stuff.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Brave girl.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Would be interesting to know what would have happened if an AFL player had done the same the other weekend (of course it would have had somewhat different connotations as we don't have as much of a culture of patriotic gesture, but one still would like to think that there's a freedom to not participate in a political gesture that one doesn't believe in). Remember when Dustin Martin got in hot water for doing the prisoner-solidarity gesture (which was not an act of anti-racism per se, but far from unrelated)? I hated the way that was treated, but would be almost equally perturbed by it becoming mandatory!

Either way, it does strike me that either standing or kneeling (both passive symbolic acts) can equally get you in hot water if the majority aren't doing it – and that, in so many areas of our society, the act of conforming is treated with much more value than the meaning of a given gesture itself.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 pm

^ Well, when Colin Kaepernick started the kneeling, he was hounded out of the NFL, with what passes for the President of the United States leading the charge.

As for the photo, we have no idea whether this person is standing “for the anthem”, because she is the target in a game of “Spot the Racist” or because she has recently recovered from knee surgery and doesn’t want to bend.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm

I just find the whole "take a knee" thing does my head in after how George Floyd died.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm

It predates that by many years.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Well, when Colin Kaepernick started the kneeling, he was hounded out of the NFL, with what passes for the President of the United States leading the charge.

^ Absolutely. On a somewhat more benign note, I recall Robert Murphy being sanctioned by the AFL for writing "no war" on his arm for a team photo back in 2003. Statements of dissent are seemingly only ever permitted when a sporting code has decided it fits their brand, in which case woe betide anyone who doesn't want to jump on board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 27 of 37   

Jump to: