Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Well, for one thing, I think everyone understands that this isn't about just one guy, but rather symptomatic of something that African-Americans have been enduring forever, basically. So a murder as brazen as this caught on video is like a lit match being dropped into a powder keg.

As for why it's big news overseas, that one's even easier to explain. America dominates the world politically and culturally, so anything that happens there reverberates to a much greater extent than anything happening anywhere else. I mean, case in point, we have a 170-page thread here on this Australian bulletin board discussing the American president; in contrast, how many people here could even name, say, the president of Mexico or tell you three things about India's prime minister? As a Wim Wenders film put it all the way back in 1975, "The Yanks have colonised our subconscious."

You're right, but it's all so tiresome. Chinese putting people in concentration camps for their religion, Islamic Theocracies throw gays off buildings and murder their daughters for having boyfriends, North African Arabs selling black slaves in open air markets, Hong Kong fights for democracy and independence but we get wall to wall news coverage and black squares on social media and every corporation virtue signalling about a scumbag dying in a city that most people couldn't place on a map in Midwestern USA.

I think I'm ready to pull up a rocking chair and tell the kids to get off my dang lawn. Well, maybe after laughing at angry libs when Trump wins again Laughing

I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, although I have no evidence whether this guys was a scumbag or not.

fact is, if this guys was shot while in the middle of a drug fuelled rampage we'd never have heard of him. It's the seemingly innocuous nature of his alleged crime and subsequent arrest followed with the bizarre nature of his death that has lit the powderkeg in the USA.

It's very likely that the reasons black people get a rawer deal with Police than white people has bugger all to do with institutionalised racism but far more practical considerations, however for the people who feel hard done by (and likely are)this was dropping a lit zippo on a fuse.

The other stuff, you're right. But you pick on China, you're called racist, you point out faults with Muslims, you're an Islamaphobic white supremecist.

It's a pity we can't look at issues for what they are without the ideological overlay. Scumbag or not, George did not deserve to die that day and the way it was done sent a massive signal.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The idea that the Left is calling on militias to save them from tyranny is a figment of your overactive imagination.

We both know that what the Left needs is Tommy Robinson to arrive as The Avenging (If Slightly Tarnished) Angel to citizen-arrest the VW combi the 2 guys from Antifa are driving around the US.

You think? LOS ANGELES — Three far-right extremists arrested by an anti-terror unit at Las Vegas protests over the killing of an African American man by police were charged Wednesday with inciting violence, officials said.

The men allegedly belong to the “Boogaloo” movement, which has adopted Hawaiian shirts as a uniform and which promotes “a coming civil war and/or collapse of society,” said a Nevada federal prosecutor

https://www.timesofisrael.com/far-right-extremists-held-on-terror-charges-for-inciting-violence-at-us-protests/

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Thinking my “What pisses you off?" thread renaming may have been somewhat ill-advised. Shocked
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 am

Any group adopting Hawaiian shirts as a uniform needs help on the PR front. Do they wear Crocs and knee-high beige socks to round off this menacing look?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:40 am

David wrote:
Thinking my “What pisses you off?" thread renaming may have been somewhat ill-advised. Shocked

Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 am

pietillidie wrote:
Any group adopting Hawaiian shirts as a uniform needs help on the PR front. Do they wear Crocs and knee-high beige socks to round off this menacing look?

Has the swastika been replaced?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:40 am

watt price tully wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Has the swastika been replaced?

Not entirely - but they probably think they need to wear something that doesn’t identify them quite so directly with Trump policy.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 am

Full stealth mode for Trumpian far righters would have to involve Covid-19 masks in Hawaiian print and a 'liberal' coating of sun screen. An Elizabeth Warren 'I have a plan for that' T-Shirt would be overkill and likely to invite suspicion.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:50 pm

Needs to include knee high white socks worn with rubber sandals and tight shorts
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:46 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-05/buffalo-police-suspended-protester-pushed-over-bleeding/12326010

Two US police officers have been suspended without pay after an incident which left a 75-year-old protester unconscious on the ground with blood coming out of his ears.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:02 pm

And - hold the press - white supremacists have been trying to frame the Left with fake news:

Twitter has suspended a fake "antifa" profile on its platform, which the tech giant says was linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, for making posts inciting violence during ongoing protests in the United States, according to US reports.

The recently created account, @ANTIFA_US, issued tweets calling for violence and rioting. "Tonight's the night, Comrades," the account tweeted. "Tonight we say ‘F--- The City' and we move into residential areas… the white hoods… and we take what's ours ..." 

The post ended with #BlackLivesMatter and #F***America, and the profile's photo included the antifa logo.

A Twitter spokesperson told NBC News that the fake account was suspended because it violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy. Twitter told CNN that the company removed the account after the account "sent a Tweet inciting violence."

https://www.dw.com/en/twitter-suspends-fake-antifa-account-run-by-white-supremacists/a-53656003
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 pm

pietillidie wrote:

to be fair, Americans in general have no dress sense
Most of them still walk around in baggy jeans and hoodies
This includes the women
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

to be fair, Americans in general have no dress sense
Most of them still walk around in baggy jeans and hoodies
This includes the women

When was the last time you were in a shopping centre in Australia during school holidays? Shocked Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Doesn’t need to be school holidays, they wear $$%^%%$ pjs all day long! I love it I feel likebavk in the US, in Walmart!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Bugger Walmart, I want Walgreens here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 5 of 37   

Jump to: