Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are getting pretty scary over there. Worry this might lead to further escalation (a lot of rhetoric online from right-wingers praising the shooter and suggesting the victims had it coming).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-26/jacob-blake-protest-kenosha-wisconsin-shooting-one-dead/12599002

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Interesting article.

The 2 things that stood out for me was

1. How the hell did they miss with 3/7 shots at basically <10cm range?
2. The guy had a knife in his car. Big freaking deal. So do I. If you have you're gun drawn and keep a short distance you have ample time to shoot him if he grabs the knife.

I really don't have a lot of interest in the difference between media sources and how they portray the dickhead teenager who apparently shot 2 protestors.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:59 pm

If you watch the video of the guy who shot the protestors he approaches the cops with his rifle and they don't seem to be bothered by him. I bet if a black guy approached them with a gun the cops would be a lot more elevated.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:15 pm

There may be a reason why the cops aren't fussed, other than his skin tone. Without clear audio, it's just conjecture.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I've seen the footage of the black guy getting shot a few times. OK the cops were called for a domestic issue, I don't know the details, I don't know if he was allowed to take his kids or not, but nothing about that scene could justify the way he was just grabbed and shot in the back multiple times at point blank range.

yeah i just watched it, unbelievable. im guessing the defence will be the way he just walked away from the cops to the drivers side, with a gun pointing right at him (i mean WTAF was he thinking!) they figured he has a bloody uzi in there or something, but thats just mindblowing, so out of control, no excuse, the whole thing.

good on the basketballers for refusing to play, great shirts too, BLACK all the time.

where the hell will this end

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
There may be a reason why the cops aren't fussed, other than his skin tone. Without clear audio, it's just conjecture.

That and the fact he is walking with his hands up and clearly offering no threat to the police.

Unlike other people who are running away from armed cops and making a move for a weapon.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. But in the current climate it begs the question.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Consider the question begged, I have NFI
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:03 am

Are we all regularly watching snuff movies these days? I think it’s clearly good that this footage is out there and not buried under police paperwork, but shit sure is pretty bleak right now.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Federal officials stockpiled munitions, sought ‘heat ray’ device before clearing Lafayette Square, whistleblower says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-protest-lafayette-square/2020/09/16/ca0174e4-f788-11ea-89e3-4b9efa36dc64_story.html

"Hours before law enforcement forcibly cleared protesters from Lafayette Square in early June amid protests over the police killing of George Floyd, federal officials began to stockpile ammunition and seek devices that could emit deafening sounds and make anyone within range feel like their skin is on fire, according to an Army National Guard major who was there.

The technology, also called a “heat ray,” was developed to disperse large crowds in the early 2000s but was shelved amid concerns about its effectiveness, safety and the ethics of using it on human beings."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:05 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-09/derek-chauvin-murder-trial-george-floyd-death-delayed-new-charge/13228890

Quote:
Former police officer Derek Chauvin's murder trial for the death of George Floyd has been delayed for at least a day as the judge contends with a last-minute order by a higher court to reconsider adding an additional murder charge.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:11 pm

Huh?

Can you murder someone twice?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 pm

It's like a prosecution insurance policy. I don't think it works in Australia.

It's like if that happened here, charging him with Murder, Manslaughter and Assault, being prepared to take whatever the highest one you can prove and adding them all up at sentencing.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:55 am

The trouble (well, one of the many troubles) with the American justice system is that it's so bipolar: so many police officers never even face prosecution for mercilessly killing unarmed people, but once the courts decide they need to make an example of someone, they start loading up sentences ridiculously (a case in point being OJ Simpson being given a thirty-year prison sentence for robbery a decade after apparently getting away with murder). I'm not saying this because I feel sorry for Chauvin or think that he deserves anything less than a significant stint behind bars; I just think his case, and all cases, should be assessed coldly on their facts – and the boring old factors of deterrence, incapacitation and rehabilitation – and without regard to appeasing community outrage, or whatever. This seems to me a clear case of aggravated manslaughter (perhaps with additional weighting given the power differentials involved), and should be punished accordingly.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:07 pm

i guess the sheer quantity of killings both ways makes it very hard:
january this year, 20 fatal police shootings, only 1 is not explained, it was a white man, and maybe the lady at the capitol building, however, if your involved in something like that, you really are taking your chances,

now check this out:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/officer-shot-killed?page=1

i counted for you, from January 1st to today 101 police officers have been shot, 32 of them fatally.

want to see just how bad the gun damage is?
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/charts-and-maps

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/number-of-gun-deaths?page=79
for 2021 - there are 80 pages. 80. in 69 days. actually im wrong, it actually starts on january 23. 80 pages of deaths in 47 days.

in 69 days 7,942 people are dead from a bullet, 6,033 injured,

i just watched the series Dope on netflix, along with the drugs are the guns. mind boggling. the underbelly of the US is terrifying,

the guns gotta go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 30 of 37   

Jump to: