Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anzac Day: which were your highlights / experience?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:29 pm
Post subject: Anzac Day: which were your highlights / experience?Reply with quote

I used to love this match, loved listening to it on the radio, watching it on TV and seeing it live.

I was living in Yackandandah at the time of the first match in 1995. The whole family went to the MCG when Mark McGough won the medal (my wife and my youngest barrack for the dons - yes I failed as a parent). The only time we all have been to watch a match together.

These days I watch it live. I love the atmosphere, the playing of the bugle, the minutes silence and the amazing sound of the crowd.

Boy, am I going to miss it this year.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its a big day, but not now this year, sadly. My first and last Anzac day game was when McGough won the BOG, i recall it pissed rain all day, wet, and we got 8 goals to Dons 5 i think, from memory. I wore Dads medals, that day to the game, he was a Lieutenant in Artillery, he was shot by a sniper at Bardia battle, 1941, later served in greece, crete and new guinea. served the whole 6 yrs of WW2. Hes gone now, as are all his old mates, think theres only 3 left in this regiment now. I also lost 3 Great Uncles in the slaughter of WW1, the Somme. Dad hated war, but hated more pro war politicians, who never served, but wanted to send young men off to fight useless wars, like Iraq. He called pro war Pollies, the armchair patriots. ! Last few yrs, ive spent day down at Leongatha, my son lives there, marched in their country parade, then back to the local RSL, for a lovely happy hour, free beer,wine, and an array of wonderful country food, sandwiches, pies, quiches, cakes, provided by the ladies and local businesses. Then watch the big game on big screen, yeh, a big day out. But not this year, cos of the virus, i will still honour dad and his mates, in my own way, on the day though, for sure. Smile Sad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:34 am

My favourite game of the year, always a good post birthday present to see us beats the Dons

I can’t remember what year my first one was, I do remember it was a wet day and with the forecast being for a wet day well out I asked for the big coaches jacket as my birthday present to wear to the game.

Haven’t been to as many as I’d like as it always a quick seller with the AFL membership, but last year after I moved to the country I made sure I came back for that game.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:13 am

Any ANZAC day when the Collingwood win is great but for me it was the 2002 and last years match that stood out notable mention also the 2018 match too. Last years was gold seeing all of the sooky Essendon sooking and boing the champion Scott Pendlebury. Bucks put them back in their box was gold.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am

Last years had extra spice too it but Collingwood are the ANZAC day kings
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:21 am

The ANZAC day clash before we played Essendon I think we played Melbourne for a while say 6 years or so before the Essendon thing took hold and became tradition.
think better 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:39 pm

My highlight is the phone call I get from my Essendon supporting brother from overseas when Collingwood wins (not such a highlight the times we have lost)
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Lots of memories from this day.... Here's a few earlier ones...

1998 - Had a friend (and his family) purchase tickets for me. On the morning of the match they didnt pick me up and I got a phone call about half hour before the game saying sorry you cant come. I was in high school and mobile phones weren't a thing yet, so they rang the home phone. They were mostly an Essendon family and as the years have gone on, he's built a reputation as a compulsive liar. He's the type to say he was at an event, but wasn't. Is friends with someone famous, but met them at some kind of convention for 2 minutes. Wins at gambling. etc, etc. Thinking back now, I doubt that tickets were even purchased and they didn't even go.

2001 - This was the first time I attended. I don't really remember too much from the game, but we were sitting in the old Ponsford stand and Tarrant won the medal.

2002 - Sitting in the wet, low scoring match, but we steam rolled them. It was a great day. McGough winning the medal was something. Some Essendon girl threw a footy record at me, but it hit my brother. Laughing He still has it.

2003-04-05 - All spent at home. 03 was a horrible day as we had Essendon guests over. We were heavy favourites, but they creamed us badly. 05 was also a crappy one when Lovett won the medal and they kept showing him running down Presti.

2006 & 2007 - Cant remember too much. I remember both medals being awarded. One to BJ and one to Heater. Sam Newman interviewed my friend outside the ground, cant remember which year.

2008 - Had a great seat. Front row level 2 almost above the Essendon Cheer squad. Essendon players obviously not playing sitting close behind us. I remember arguing about Medhurst with a friend. He was saying he was hopeless, etc, etc. Then Medhurst had the game of his life. Laughing

2009 - The worst. The absolute worst. Prestis 200th game and Zaharakis kicks the game winner when we had the game wrapped up. Essendon supporter next to me says enjoy the win and left the game. I'd say by the time he got to the gate, Essendon were in front. Ryder got the medal after Hille left the game early. Fraser was pantsed by him. But to this day, I swear that free Fletcher was given late in the game was rubbish. Rocca took the mark and would have sealed the game. Instead, Fletcher gets the free and Essendon kicked the goal to get them within a point. Then Zaharakis kicked the sealer moments later. I have Prestis jumper from this day.

2010 & 2011 - Both good wins. 2011 was great after winning the flag. Great times to be a Pies supporter. Pendles winning both medals.

2012 - I remember Swan killing Stanton. And I remember the drama at the end. Blair kicking the goal. The score review. And the final siren. Payback for 2009.

Overall, the day is great. The veterans that are driven around before the game have become a lot younger, but I love the way they get involved. Some people will say this day should not be for football, and it isnt. It's about being free and remembering what was fought for. And we can enjoy this game because of this.

And then there's the yearly argument that other clubs should play on the day.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm

ANZAC day Collingwood v Essendon is the number fixture of the season its the grand final without the wankers.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:20 pm

To me the GF is more of a gala more then anything and the GF is far from been the match of the season that's for sure eg: 2017 and 2019
The Grand Finals Collingwood have been in have been the best weather win lose of draw but of course win is best of the best.
I always like prelims too but not last years v gws it was a shocker.
Collingwood has the best record of any team for prelims too.
My favs prelims 2018 v Richmond unreal feeling against all odds and win, 2010 v geelong and 2003 v power all at mcg 2011 was ok but 2010 felt better.
My most fav finals win apart from the 1990 GF and 2010 replay GF was 2018 prelim v the tigers.It was also 2018 game of the season. It put a stop of richmonds run of flags too means they only have 1 on the trot not 3.
Collingwood will win a premiership in the next 3 years hope its 2020 but definitely next year 2021. We are in the window been extended by this covid interruption.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Presti35 wrote:

And then there's the yearly argument that other clubs should play on the day.

They only want it because Collingwood and Essendon have made it such a great event.

My memory was being locked out of the first ever match - got so close to getting in - and no, I didn't buy tickets earlier Rolling Eyes . Personally, I'm glad it was a draw as that was the catalyst for such a great event.

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:01 pm

90 nice wrote:
ANZAC day Collingwood v Essendon is the number fixture of the season its the grand final without the wankers.

Not so sure about that.... they do let in alot of Essendon supporters...
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 pm

My fave was the 1977 clash versus Richmond. The biggest crowd I'd ever been to and the noise was unbelievable.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
My fave was the 1977 clash versus Richmond. The biggest crowd I'd ever been to and the noise was unbelievable.

You might have to help me here but there was this great game on Anzac Day in 1980 or thereabouts when we played Carlton and from memory we won the game. That was a sensational game.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm

i remember going to a couple of games 1996 & 1997 (i think)
Back then no tickets or mobile phones (if you lost your mates you were stuffed) We just lined up at the gates at 10am like everyone else and paid cash. still took 2 hours to get in. people smoking, drunk, throwing streamers/paper, fights, chants, as a teenager it was glorious.
I specifically remember the Anthony Rocca torpedo, we were sitting right behind it, the ball just keep going up and up. then the long train ride home on the old rattler with my transistor radio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: