Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Missed recruiting opportunities

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to dig the below out from a 2017 trade thread...

piedys wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
piedys wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Jason McCartney was #1 pick and he was a better player after he left Collingwood.

Pick #4 1990 draft

We expected McCartney to go to Fitzroy, but they took David "Dennis" Donato; we were going to take Allen Jakovich. Wish we f&cking had done so instead.

There's a sliding doors moment for you.

Here's a hypothetical; do we win the final against St Kilda in 1992 with The Show Pony in our forward pocket?

Good question CC; and one i've actually asked myself before.

Firstly, let's go back to late 1990, and piss ourselves stupid that Richmond thought Terry Keays was worth swapping their first draft pick for, allowing us to sneak into 4th place in the upcoming draft, in the biggest bounty of fool's gold we are ever likely to see in our lifetime.
And you can have Mrakov and Athas in the PSD for shit and giggles too. The 1991 May Mother's Day Massacre aside [cough, splutter], we did very well out of the deal indeed!

Secondly, let's go back to 1991. Jakovich's 2nd half to the season was off the charts, and Melbourne swept into the finals on his momentum.
Had we selected him, we would have made the top 6 with him firing as an immediate replacement for BT. He probably would have worn either #9 or perhaps 11. Not sure why the club thought Tarpey was going to do the job.

So by 1992, we've lost Millane, and our biggest losing margin was what 33 points to Carlton, of all our 6 losses. I reckon we win the May Centenary game for a start if Jakovich plays ahead of that shit thing Shane Watson.
That extra win would have been enough to see us sitting in either 1st or 2nd place, and not 3rd. And of course there would have been no Russo-gate finish at Vic Park against Melbourne, where he kicks Pert's arse.
Would he have been the difference in rolling Hawthorn in either losses? Dunno. Who else beat us on the siren in the H&A; oh, St.Kilda and Fitzroy.
So if Jakovich plays in 1992, we finish close to the top, and I can't see us not making the Prelim as a minimum that season. West Coast; what a farce.

Anyhow, had we still found ourselves facing St.Kilda at Waverley on that shit EF day [yes, I was there...], would Jakovich made the difference?
Unlikely; that game was lost in the midfield, and the backline couldn't repel all the ball coming in that frequently. The forward line did okay IIRC?
Needed an MCG QF to advance deep into September, which we would've, had we been able to secure another win during the H&A season, sabotaged by unbelievably biased umpiring in all of our close losses.

So the question is really: Would the presence of Jakovich halted or derailed the emergence of Rocca? Rocca was a revelation in the 2nd half of 1992, and went from strength to strength until the end of 1995.
Most seasons after that he was very unpredictable from week to week.
Yet Jakovich was often injured in those later seasons at Melbourne, so allowing for that same injury run at Collingwood, perhaps those weeks would have been the window Rocca needed to make an impact.
Would have been a nice problem to have; guess we'll never know.

McCartney was serviceable during 1992, particularly in the final round against Adelaide at Vic Park; that was a classic game.
He would ultimately crack the shits with Matthews and leave at the end of 1995, ironically, Matthews would be out on his arse right behind him.

So thanks for that Fitzroy; glad you're gone.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
We had pick one. Pavlich was only about 10 times as good as Fraser.

Face it, if we wanted Pav, we could have had him. Probably cost us three flags, at least.

It is true that we could have had him at one. But there hasnt really been a consensus number 1 pick like Josh Fraser since Josh Fraser. You cannot blame the club for taking Fraser. He was hardly a failure....

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
We picked Steve McKee/Danny Roach ahead of Matthew Pavlich

We would never have gotten Pavlich. If we had pick three, Freo would have taken Pavlich at 2.

Then who would we taken at 3 Then?

Dave, i was pretty involved in the club back then. My understanding is that we were locked into pick 1 from about June of that year (that is how high we were on Fraser).

We would have loved Pavlich at 3 but expected Freo to take him. Assuming Pavlich was gone at pick 3, i understand we were going to take Roach at Pick 3 anyway. That is why we traded down to 7 (as in our mind, it cost us nothing).

The reason Freo went with Haselby at pick 2 and Pav at pick 4 is because Richmond specifically traded up to 3 to get the best mid in the draft and so Freo "knew" or at least were prepared to gamble that Richmond would go small with pick 3 (anbd Freo wanted to be sure they got Haselby). They did and Freo looked like geniuses.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:55 pm

^^^
To add another layer to the Pavlich pick, he was also very public in saying he wasn’t prepared to leave his home state of SA.
I believe Richmond were very concerned that they wouldn’t be able to hold him after his first contract expired. Freo deemed him to good to pass by and they chose to roll the dice on him. The rest is history.

Absolutely wonderful player who may be the only All Australian to have been selected in three different positions ( that’s from memory and I’m happy to be corrected 😬😬 ) Definitely two different positions at least.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Pavlich was definitely a better player than Steve Johnston. That's not my point.

Johnston played in 3 premierships when we were really good and he would've made a big difference to us in 2007, 2011 and maybe even 2009. Johnston was similar to Dermott Brereton, Bill Barrett and Wayne Johnston in that he was a match winner in finals and especially in Grand Finals.
barrackers 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 pm

E wrote:

Dave, i was pretty involved in the club back then. My understanding is that we were locked into pick 1 from about June of that year (that is how high we were on Fraser).

We would have loved Pavlich at 3 but expected Freo to take him. Assuming Pavlich was gone at pick 3, i understand we were going to take Roach at Pick 3 anyway. That is why we traded down to 7 (as in our mind, it cost us nothing).

The reason Freo went with Haselby at pick 2 and Pav at pick 4 is because Richmond specifically traded up to 3 to get the best mid in the draft and so Freo "knew" or at least were prepared to gamble that Richmond would go small with pick 3 (anbd Freo wanted to be sure they got Haselby). They did and Freo looked like geniuses.

Live trading during the draft would have been interesting. We take pick 3 to the draft, Freo take Pavlich at 2 and we negotiate with Freo and the tigs to see who wants Haselby more.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^
To add another layer to the Pavlich pick, he was also very public in saying he wasn’t prepared to leave his home state of SA.
I believe Richmond were very concerned that they wouldn’t be able to hold him after his first contract expired. Freo deemed him to good to pass by and they chose to roll the dice on him. The rest is history.

Absolutely wonderful player who may be the only All Australian to have been selected in three different positions ( that’s from memory and I’m happy to be corrected 😬😬 ) Definitely two different positions at least.

I did not follow the Draft Back then. Pavlich saying he wanted to stay in South Australia and that would Scared us off from Picking Him.

Though it that a bit of Draft Tampering by saying that Publicly?

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Last few years weve been going well in this area,apart from the Beams saga that is. Good sign ups been Roughead and our raft of GWS players in Adams Treloar and that Darcy Cameron is looking promising too and looks in good nick.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Also Jeremy Howe Travis Varcoe Chris Mayne and Greenwood also good old Lynden Dunn too.
All of these players have been serviceable and are all good players too.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 pm

90 nice wrote:
Also Jeremy Howe Travis Varcoe Chris Mayne and Greenwood also good old Lynden Dunn too.
All of these players have been serviceable and are all good players too.

Howe been Elite and Miles Better then he was at Melbourne.

The Rest been Good Solid Players

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Agree really liked the look of Roughead and also Mayne too they give their all.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Not Lachie Hunter.

THERE! SOMEONE had to say it.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Probably only for the oldies here but here are four players would have gone on to be club legends if not for our injury curse. They are Graham Reitchman, Leigh Walker, Shane Muir and Danny Roach. They were all guns who at the time of recruitment were highly sought. Who knows how many flags could have been won by us in the Eighties? We are definitely cursed.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:53 pm

^^^ You left out Sean Rusling Lazza! Not the same vintage, but was definitely the same category of mythical beast....
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
^^^ You left out Sean Rusling Lazza! Not the same vintage, but was definitely the same category of mythical beast....

I remember Robert Walls compared Rusling to Phil Camen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: