Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL stars accused of greed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

thank the lord it wasnt our players!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-pair-apologise-for-organising-party-breaking-social-distancing-guidelines-20200323-p54d0z.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Actually, it's not over yet. A small group of players (mostly managers I reckon) are still throwing hissy fits and refusing short term pain for long term gain. They need this hammered into their thick skulls -- some clubs won't survive this, they will fold or merge. It's not if, but when. They'll get paid now, but they might not have a club to pay for in six months.

Chris Scott has told Geelong he'll go without pay. Zero. None. Nada. I never really liked him, but now I have huge respect for him, sacrificing for the good of the club.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-continue-dispute-over-pay-cut-20200324-p54da6.html

thats big, i hate him and his club, but gees, good on him!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Players and their managers who held off contract talks must be wishing they hadn't.

OTOH Grundy and his manager will be very happy they didn't wait. His (original) contract may end up being the last big contract ever in the AFL.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 am

"The AFL and the players association have failed to resolve their pay dispute after a second day of negotiations, with both parties remaining frustrated.

It comes as one of the game’s greatest ever players and legendary coach Leigh Matthews slammed the current group of footballers as "embarrassingly disappointing".

League heavyweights reiterated their position on Tuesday that a 50 per cent pay cut by the players for eight weeks would not be enough as the game continued to bleed cash.

Sources have told The Age that league officials are pushing for players to take a 75 per cent cut, but it’s unclear for how long that would apply.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who is also a key member of Gillon McLachlan’s war-time cabinet, confirmed on his morning radio show on Tuesday that host broadcasters Channel Seven and Foxtel have stopped their payments."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-continue-dispute-over-pay-cut-20200324-p54da6.html

[updated]
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:12 am

Dangerfield attacking the AFL now, he's demanding full transparency of AFL finances.

Money money money. Maybe the game has always been about money and I was naive, but today's AFL seems more about money and less about community. I'm just finding few reasons to care about footy these days.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:39 am

This is bullshit. The league exploits their players in the good times and needs to honor the pathetically small contracts that the players are forced to sign due to the restraint of trade that is the salary cap.

The contracts are guaranteed and the players should get paid.

I'm still getting paid. I bet all of you are too even though you are all working at about 10% of your capacity. Why should the players get paid what they signed up for? they committed to the club and the clubs should commit to them (in good times and in bad).

Wonka 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am

E wrote:

I'm still getting paid. I bet all of you are too even though you are all working at about 10% of your capacity.

You're kidding right??? Look at the lines outside Centrelink. You can't phone them cos they're flooded. Their website crashed.

Don't transfer your privilege on to everyone else.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am

I'm not getting paid, I lost my job. Currently dealing with the Centrelink chaos. As a middle-aged bloke, wish me luck finding a new job. To continually read about people earning 500,000 a year bitching about and refusing to take a small pay cut to help keep jobs alive for hundreds of other people... sigh

Look at Chris Scott, he saw the forest for the trees and he's taken a 100% pay cut for the year.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
... Currently dealing with the Centrelink chaos. ...

Have you been trying to do this online?
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 pm

This is a difficult situation. It is too simplistic to suggest that the players simply take a massive cut. They have restrictions on what and how they can earn outside of their contracts thanks to the salary cap.
If they were true performance-based athletes - that is, only get paid when you win (ie Tennis professional as an example) then they pay cut would be an easier negotiation. However, as the players do not have endorsement contracts readily in place then this limits their ability to earn outside the game.
One of the negative aspects of such a tightly-held industry such as AFL.

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Also, there is an additional complication as each player's contract is structured differently. Some are base retainer plus match payment and incentives, some are front-ended, some are a large lump sum up front for getting to round 1 in-tact. Therefore, calculating how to equitably reduce these payments is difficult. I suspect it is easier for the coaches - (ie Chris Scott) whom, I imagine, get a straight fortnightly or monthly payment - to take a straight hit as it's a relatively easy calculation.
However, for the players - like most things in life - nothing is that straight-forward.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I'm not getting paid, I lost my job. Currently dealing with the Centrelink chaos. As a middle-aged bloke, wish me luck finding a new job. To continually read about people earning 500,000 a year bitching about and refusing to take a small pay cut to help keep jobs alive for hundreds of other people... sigh

Look at Chris Scott, he saw the forest for the trees and he's taken a 100% pay cut for the year.

Hey mate, as a short term option other than Centrelink, there's several places hiring at the moment.

There's this state government initiative https://www.vic.gov.au/workingforvictoria?fbclid=IwAR0KwtcPwB19jtHoOahD8ihKqTgD0yxH5PAjlMpK96tW0WZySOSqSdNmJpE

Coles and Woolies are hiring , Telstra, Domino's is hiring delivery staff etc.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm

The players should proceed with caution. I wouldn’t be giving up hard won conditions and wages. They should take their time and act slowly. No need to rush just yet.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 pm

^ Maybe... but there'll be cuts to the total player body's payments whatever they do. If they hold out, there'll just be much smaller playing lists. How about a playing list of 25 plus slave-wage top ups? Shocked (Niall already reports that it's going to be 35, if not in 2021 then in 2022.)

And the smaller the playing group, the more important it'll be to come from the "right", i.e. privileged, background to get drafted.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 am

Barrett:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/390168/players-afl-must-back-off-from-hardline-stance?videoId=390168&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1585193422001

Meanwhile, Blicavs had a house party for his teammates a few days ago:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390192/star-cat-s-house-party-a-grave-mistake-scott

Not a good look for the players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: