Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL stars accused of greed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be clarified that the AFL negotiated this deal with the government.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-coronavirus-updates-covid19-afl-aflpa-player-contracts-brodie-grundy-mega-deals-finances/news-story/d0f2e418ecca4858f174e306f120e812

Some AFL players will be eligible for the Australian Government’s JobKeeper assistance package, on one provision.

Their clubs must also receive the government’s tick of approval to claim a share of the $130 billion stimulus plan, which is expected to be ratified in the coming days.

The financial help will provide relief to players, coaches and staff members across the league once it’s formally signed off on.

The one-in all-in approach was relayed to AFL player managers in a 45-minute teleconference hook-up with the AFL Players’ Association on Tuesday afternoon.

While clubs and players are still awaiting final confirmation, it appears:

- AFL clubs will be eligible employers, which means players under a certain pay bracket will be too;

- Eligible employees only need to have been full-time as of March 1, so 2019 draftees are covered;

- With a 50 per cent reduction in wages across April and May, rookies (on a base salary of $85,000) will receive a top-up to $1500 per fortnight, and;

- Players earning less than $140,000 will have their wages topped up to $1500 (before tax) if a 70 per cent wage cuts come into effect from June.

I'm so glad these overpaid ball kickers get to continue living their privileged lifestyles. I love footy, I love some of the players and the good they do in the community... but come on. I've got a partner and kid to support, and I'm only getting the basic dole payment. Yet the AFL negotiates a special deal for the special people. I'm middle-aged, I'm absolutely f***ed looking for employment in the next year competing against younger and more qualified job seekers. These guys are only taking a pay cut for 6-12 months, and even with the pay cut they're on good coin. AFL and club staff who are on lower middle income salaries deserve financial top ups. Remember when most players had to work jobs during the week and were lucky if they got a car from the club. Players these days think they're entitled to be able to retire as millionaires by the age of 25.

Base wage $85,000 minus 30% pay cut is $60,000!!! Seriously, you're still pocketing $60!! If first year players are whinging about that, then they can take a flying leap. Maybe spend less on the expensive tattoos and investment properties, and live like the rest of us do -- within our means.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
To put this clearly: if, hypothetically speaking, I am a footballer who used to be paid $500,000 and I have agreed to receive $250,000 for a period, I probably have massive finance commitments (eg, on housing loans and possibly my Ferrari), so although my income looks huge to someone on $49K, I don’t actually have much disposable income because it is largely spoken for and goes on commitments I have to purchase assets at prices I can’t realise (because, eg, the secondhand Ferrari market isn’t too solid these days). In fact, I might be living hand to mouth, given my commitments. The footballers who have taken massive salary cuts will be doing it very tough - it just doesn’t look like it because the majority of people can’t imagine doing it tough on such salaries. Of course, that would be correct in normal times - but these are not such times.

well its still easier to cry in a repossessed Ferarri than a outside the dole office with the clothes on your back and nothing else. Even rich people should not get a loan for a car! no matter the cost, its just not economical sense!

as for their mega loans, still no sympathy, as the people with much lesser loans on the average 3 bed, 1 bath home, they can try and arrange something with the bank. no difference.

and no bloody sympathy!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
It needs to be clarified that the AFL negotiated this deal with the government.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-coronavirus-updates-covid19-afl-aflpa-player-contracts-brodie-grundy-mega-deals-finances/news-story/d0f2e418ecca4858f174e306f120e812

Some AFL players will be eligible for the Australian Government’s JobKeeper assistance package, on one provision.

Their clubs must also receive the government’s tick of approval to claim a share of the $130 billion stimulus plan, which is expected to be ratified in the coming days.

The financial help will provide relief to players, coaches and staff members across the league once it’s formally signed off on.

The one-in all-in approach was relayed to AFL player managers in a 45-minute teleconference hook-up with the AFL Players’ Association on Tuesday afternoon.

While clubs and players are still awaiting final confirmation, it appears:

- AFL clubs will be eligible employers, which means players under a certain pay bracket will be too;

- Eligible employees only need to have been full-time as of March 1, so 2019 draftees are covered;

- With a 50 per cent reduction in wages across April and May, rookies (on a base salary of $85,000) will receive a top-up to $1500 per fortnight, and;

- Players earning less than $140,000 will have their wages topped up to $1500 (before tax) if a 70 per cent wage cuts come into effect from June.

I'm so glad these overpaid ball kickers get to continue living their privileged lifestyles. I love footy, I love some of the players and the good they do in the community... but come on. I've got a partner and kid to support, and I'm only getting the basic dole payment. Yet the AFL negotiates a special deal for the special people. I'm middle-aged, I'm absolutely f***ed looking for employment in the next year competing against younger and more qualified job seekers. These guys are only taking a pay cut for 6-12 months, and even with the pay cut they're on good coin. AFL and club staff who are on lower middle income salaries deserve financial top ups. Remember when most players had to work jobs during the week and were lucky if they got a car from the club. Players these days think they're entitled to be able to retire as millionaires by the age of 25.

Base wage $85,000 minus 30% pay cut is $60,000!!! Seriously, you're still pocketing $60!! If first year players are whinging about that, then they can take a flying leap. Maybe spend less on the expensive tattoos and investment properties, and live like the rest of us do -- within our means.

^ The critical thing in that is the preposition used, in each case - players will have their salary topped up "to" $1,500 before tax, not "by" $1,500 before tax. As to which, see my previous posts. I understand that to mean that players will receive $39,000 of their salary (not in addition to their salary) from the jobkeeper payment, passed on to them by their employer in the usual way.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
To put this clearly: if, hypothetically speaking, I am a footballer who used to be paid $500,000 and I have agreed to receive $250,000 for a period, I probably have massive finance commitments (eg, on housing loans and possibly my Ferrari), so although my income looks huge to someone on $49K, I don’t actually have much disposable income because it is largely spoken for and goes on commitments I have to purchase assets at prices I can’t realise (because, eg, the secondhand Ferrari market isn’t too solid these days). In fact, I might be living hand to mouth, given my commitments. The footballers who have taken massive salary cuts will be doing it very tough - it just doesn’t look like it because the majority of people can’t imagine doing it tough on such salaries. Of course, that would be correct in normal times - but these are not such times.

I doubt that they are doing it so tough that they are worrying about food or housing. Doing it tough has different meanings for different people.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm

K wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
All I get is $550 Centrelink and an uphill battle to get a new job — and I was only earning $49k!!!!

Good thing you're one of the "Decent People" who've recently lost a job or all you'd be getting would be $275

Can you explain this $275 further? Which people are these?

If you were on Newstart payments prior to the introduction of the Jobseeker payment you would receive $275 a week. Despite years of calls for an increase from many different sectors of society ranging from charities to the business council, the government wouldn't budge. If you didn't know better you would think that the government thought a punitive rate was needed for these leaners.

When the "decent people" (the lifters) as Morrison called them were faced with sudden unemployment the Jobseeker scheme was introduced at double the rate of the old Newstart, but still not for the old recipients.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 pm

^ I think that's incorrect. As I understand it, everyone on jobseeker, including existing recipients, will get the $550 supplement, even if they were only getting a partial newstart payment because their assets or income were such as to prevent them qualifying for the full benefit.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:55 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I think that's incorrect. As I understand it, everyone on jobseeker, including existing recipients, will get the $550 supplement, even if they were only getting a partial newstart payment because their assets or income were such as to prevent them qualifying for the full benefit.

Thanks for the correction
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks for the discussion. Given asset tests have been dropped for this crisis period, I assume assets won't matter for anyone, existing recipients or new, covid-related or not, though income will still matter.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:25 am

Sorry for the rant. It just does my head in people are getting handouts who don't need it, but myself and people I know are struggling on the bare minimum through no fault of our own. Base wage of new player $85k, minus 30% virus paycut they're still getting at least $60k before tax. For a 19 or 20 year old, that's bloody good!!! Please explain why they still need a $1500 a fortnight top up?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Exactly this
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm

I feel like we are going in circles. It is not a "top up". It is a subsidy to employers to assist with their payroll obligations in certain circumstances. I understand why people might disagree with the whole policy but I don't understand the fixation on footy players. As I understand things, if the big 4 banks suffered a sufficient decline in revenue, they would be entitled to claim the $1,500 as a contribution to the fortnightly salaries of, amongst many others, their CEOs. There is, so far as I am aware, no income cut-off for the support. That's because it's payroll support for the employers, not some kind of hand-out to well-paid employees. Argue all you like about the policy of the jobkeeper scheme but it seems to me to be quite misconceived to accuse the players of being greedy when what is actually happening is that they have negotiated a very substantial pay reduction and the clubs are entitled, because of their revenue circumstances, to receive $1,500 per player from the Federal Government towards that reduced pay. It isn't a "top up" - it is just an entitlement that the clubs are applying to meeting their newly negotiated, reduced obligations.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pm

So really it's the employers, i.e. AFL clubs, who are getting the $1500. Maybe they can pass it on to their members. Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:03 pm

^ To go full circle, they are obliged to apply it to their payroll at a rate of $1,500 per identified individual. The way it works is that even if an employee agreed to accept $500 per fortnight to remain employed, if their employer was eligible for the jobkeeper payment, they receive it but are obliged to pay their employee the whole $1,500 (ie, they don't just pay the employee $500 and pocket the rest). To take a practical example, if you have a permanent part-time person employed by a business that qualifies for jobkeeper and that person's permanent part-time wage was at all relevant times, say, $1,200 per fortnight, the employer would be able to keep that person employed at no cost to the employer but would have to increase the permanent part-time employee's wage to $1,500. I presume the obligation to pay the full sum on is an anti-fraud mechanism to prevent employers making money out of the scheme or, to put it less unkindly, to preclude there being an incentive for employers to bargain the continuing wages of "qualifying employees" below $1,500, so that the employers gain a net benefit by pocketing the difference but the employees all lose.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:36 pm

you would think it would be means tested though, I mean id rather see the money go to those not getting even 40% of their pay, can the club take it off what they are paying the players?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:56 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I feel like we are going in circles. It is not a "top up". It is a subsidy to employers to assist with their payroll obligations in certain circumstances. I understand why people might disagree with the whole policy but I don't understand the fixation on footy players. As I understand things, if the big 4 banks suffered a sufficient decline in revenue, they would be entitled to claim the $1,500 as a contribution to the fortnightly salaries of, amongst many others, their CEOs. There is, so far as I am aware, no income cut-off for the support. That's because it's payroll support for the employers, not some kind of hand-out to well-paid employees. Argue all you like about the policy of the jobkeeper scheme but it seems to me to be quite misconceived to accuse the players of being greedy when what is actually happening is that they have negotiated a very substantial pay reduction and the clubs are entitled, because of their revenue circumstances, to receive $1,500 per player from the Federal Government towards that reduced pay. It isn't a "top up" - it is just an entitlement that the clubs are applying to meeting their newly negotiated, reduced obligations.

Your “going in circles” comment reminds me of something Colin Powell said about public speaking in his autobiography. First you tell them what you are going to tell them. Then you tell them. Then you tell them what you told them. By then, they may have understood. He said he was taught that in the military then continued doing it in politics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: