Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL stars accused of greed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:44 am
Post subject: AFL stars accused of greedReply with quote

I'm totally with Bob. 17 rounds, small pay cut -- it's not hard! I'm about to lose my goddamn job, wish I could stamp my feet and pout and demand to be treated special! And the "leadership" from the AFL is the worst.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-coronavirus-updates-will-round-1-go-ahead/news-story/93699edcaf996689011020aa9e078829

Here's an idea you selfish pr***s. Take the pay cut and put it in a trust fund for the nurses who are working their asses off right now, and it's only going to get worse for them in the coming months.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we wait until the end of the season and see how it pans out?

By then people will know what the impact will/has been and then make a decision.

It may mean pay cuts in future seasons.

This is exactly the response that the media wants.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

Wow wow wow that’s a read! That’s embarrassing if true, not often I agree with a (former) bulldog but yep spanks if greed!

Zero chance but one official or player is exposed, just shut it down and hope for a 17 match season.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am

Of course they are greedy
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 am

It's not greed to be worried about your own income at a time like this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm

David wrote:
It's not greed to be worried about your own income at a time like this.

It is greed to put other people at risk because you don’t want to lose 20% of your $100k plus salary when a hell of a lot of people on the bread line are about to lose their minimum wage jobs. Not sure why you suddenly think footy players are so special that they keep all of their very privileged income. Much as I love footy, it’s not a necessity right now. Cut off the first 5 weeks and then see where we are.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Totally agree, Think Positive. I love footy, I desperately want to see the game played on Friday night... but there's a bigger picture. And the AFL needs to lead on this.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 pm
Post subject: Re: AFL stars accused fo greedReply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I'm totally with Bob. 17 rounds, small pay cut -- it's not f***ing hard! I'm about to lose my goddamn job, wish I could stamp my feet and pout and demand to be treated special! And the "leadership" from the AFL is the worst.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-coronavirus-updates-will-round-1-go-ahead/news-story/93699edcaf996689011020aa9e078829

Here's an idea you selfish pr***s. Take the pay cut and put it in a trust fund for the nurses who are working their asses off right now, and it's only going to get worse for them in the coming months.

So if you could you would also be greedy, problem for you is you can’t
They can, but you would if you could.
No double standards
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 pm

No I wouldn't. I've taken pay cuts to keep others in jobs, and I'd do it again -- and I'm in the low income bracket for middle class. Look. It's obviously not all players -- but it's enough of them to be a concern. Like I said, it's mostly the AFL and managers who are greedy, they're the ones I blame for this situation.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 pm

'Fremantle youngster Bailey Banfield has revealed the tough call he made to his girlfriend this week.

“After training I made the call to my girlfriend Julia and told her that, based on current advice, I may not see her for potentially a few weeks as we went into isolation as a club,” Banfield told the club’s website.'

They do it to protect the club, but it works both ways. If all 18 clubs really self-isolate, it'd help protect the rest of the community, if coronavirus goes through the AFL because they keep playing.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 pm

I reckon everyone's jumped the gun on this one- especially Gerard and Robbo, who both went hard at the players. The players were asked in a survey if they would prefer to play a 17 or 22 game season to which they overwhelmingly answered 22. There was no mention in the question of reduced pay. It's no surprise that players want to play as much as possible.

I'd reckon if there was a survey question asking "Do you understand and accept that in order to ensure the financial viability of the competition it will be necessary to receive a reduction (of perhaps 20%) in pay?" the vast majority would answer yes.

We've gone too hard with little reason.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 pm

think positive wrote:
It is greed to put other people at risk because you don’t want to lose 20% of your $100k plus salary when a hell of a lot of people on the bread line are about to lose their minimum wage jobs.

If the pay cut was for the benefit of people on the breadline then you might have a point. This is just money going straight into the coffers of a multi-billion dollar organisation that can afford to pay the players full whack.

I don't see Gillon and his cronies taking a paycut.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 pm

How is wanting to work more greedy?? The more games they play, the more others work also. Think of the people who work to bring us the broadcast. Thats alot of employment right there alone.
The players were asked what they wanted and they responded. Why would the players want to work less and get paid less? And they are not overpayed, as the career of an AFL footballer is very short.
Everyone just relax and lets watch the footy Friday night.

Go Pies.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:24 am

the fuzz wrote:
... And they are not overpayed, as the career of an AFL footballer is very short.

How short it is is irrelevant. They are not prevented from working once they retire from footy. (The only issue is physical damage that could be done to them by the game. That is a big problem, but it's not related to their pay.)

Redlight wrote:
I don't see Gillon and his cronies taking a paycut.

Yeah, they should take a huge paycut. Journos should start asking them awkward questions.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:11 am
Post subject: Re: AFL stars accused of greedReply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I'm totally with Bob. 17 rounds, small pay cut -- it's not hard! I'm about to lose my goddamn job, wish I could stamp my feet and pout and demand to be treated special! And the "leadership" from the AFL is the worst.

so their damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I for one am glad that there will be at least something to keep me entertained this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: