Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood, the AFL and the Virus.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
90 nice wrote:
Normally theres the food vendors still there they have since all departed and even the temp membership structure is gone and theres no signage either.

Yes, its weird and eerie, reminds me of an old movie, made in 1960, made here in Melb actually, bout a nuke war, in the cold war days, and Melbourne is the last big city to exist, radiation, its the end of the world, i think it was called ON THE BEACH, and starred Gregory Peck, Hollywood came to Melbourne, all deserted scenes, Flinders st, Swanston st, the old museum, no people, they filmed the scenes with the permission of the council who blocked the streets of no people, then scattered newspapers blowing down empty streets. I was only a young boy back then, a kid, but it had big effect on me, seeing Melbourne like that. This kind of brings it back to me, seeing these empty streets, very much so. Surprised

Deleted

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:52 am

Western Bulldogs among the six clubs to go it alone

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-among-the-six-clubs-to-go-it-alone-20200406-p54hnt.html

"The other five clubs known to be funding their operations, besides player payments, are West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Adelaide."
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:00 pm

^ The Dogs have been posting strong profits for a few years now, so they're certainly not a battling club as they once were. Didn't realise they were in a strong enough position to not need assistance from the AFL during this time.

Amazing that clubs such as Essendon and Carlton will require assistance instead.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:53 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
K wrote:
AFL considers quarantine hub in bid to get ball rolling

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-considers-quarantine-hub-in-bid-to-get-ball-rolling-20200405-p54h9c.html

I wonder what one would have to do to get quarantined with them?

Laughing Laughing Now there you go - the AFL could sell "quarantine packages" at exorbitant prices to help maintain/restore our game. I'm sure there would be some takers. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Jezza wrote:
^ The Dogs have been posting strong profits for a few years now, so they're certainly not a battling club as they once were. Didn't realise they were in a strong enough position to not need assistance from the AFL during this time.

Amazing that clubs such as Essendon and Carlton will require assistance instead.

The timing of their poaching of our staff means they have one more person to pay when footy resumes. Of course if there is a draft this year, we might need the work of that one missing person.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 pm

From The Age's coronavirus blog, just now (there is a link there to a longer article, as well):

As AFL Players' Association president Patrick Dangerfield expressed doubts on the prospect of games resuming in "quarantine hubs", the AFL has confirmed to its 18 clubs that temporarily relocating to hubs remains a legitimate option.

In a memo from league chief Gillon McLachlan, the AFL told clubs that basing themselves in a "controlled environment" remained a viable possibility as the league considers various return-to-play plans.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 pm

Paddy says he believes players will be unhappy being away from their families for an extended time. I have sympathy for players with young children, but the others... As Caro said on Footy Classified, the reason the players are getting such a generous pay deal from the AFL is so that they'll take some inconvenience like this. They can't have it both ways.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:57 am

Jezza wrote:

shocks the shit out of me!!

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Whos already thinking of next season next year 2021
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:56 pm

TV and gambling sponsors are still pushing hard for footy to go ahead. Footy players are employees, they're not slaves like the Roman gladiator era. Does this make Gill McLachlan Pontius Pilate and does he have a friend named Biggus Dickus?
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:08 pm

I want more information about the possible demise of Carltank.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:31 pm

think positive wrote:
Jezza wrote:

shocks the shit out of me!!

The "strong profits" are, of course, mostly our money. They must have been a bit more careful with what we gave them under "equalisation" than some of the other clubs have been.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 pm

90 nice wrote:

Yep this season is done and dusted its gone, face facts and what the heck is this crap bout some HUB GAMES what the hell is hub games, sounds pretty fishy too me. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
90 nice wrote:

Yep this season is done and dusted its gone, face facts and what the heck is this crap bout some HUB GAMES what the hell is hub games, sounds pretty fishy too me. Confused

Basically the players are quarantined in separate hubs around Australia. Away from their families and homes, stuck together in quarantine and only allowed out to play footy. Bloody ridiculous.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
90 nice wrote:

Basically the players are quarantined in separate hubs around Australia. Away from their families and homes, stuck together in quarantine and only allowed out to play footy. Bloody ridiculous.

Very unlikely that this will get signed off by the players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 33 of 60   

Jump to: