Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies recruiting manager poached by Bulldogs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

roar wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
roar wrote:
We will probably get in some rookie because Ed will want to avoid paying tax or some such nonesense.

No doubt you have an actual example where something similar happened in the past?

Not paying for a real ruck coach, skimping on replacing assistant coaches previous years.

Don't know why you're getting snippy, Ed, himself, admitted cutting expenditure to not pay the tax.

and That sent the Club Backwards

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 am

i hope he and they crash and burn
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:38 am

roar wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
roar wrote:
We will probably get in some rookie because Ed will want to avoid paying tax or some such nonesense.

No doubt you have an actual example where something similar happened in the past?

Not paying for a real ruck coach, skimping on replacing assistant coaches previous years.

Don't know why you're getting snippy, Ed, himself, admitted cutting expenditure to not pay the tax.

I think what you should be complaining about is the 75% equalization “tax” that theAFL introduced in 2016, which is what prompted that reaction. Prior to that, Collingwood and Hawthorn were the two leading spenders in off-field activities, which was unsustainable given we weren’t even making finals

Having said that, I think the pre-tax cap is around $10 million so that shouldn’t be preventing us from getting any ruck Coach we want

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
Let’s do some of our own poaching

Graham Wright from Hawks

Why would he take a Downgrade?

Perhaps cos he was once a Magpie premiership player, and its time to come back to the nest Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:22 pm

think positive wrote:
i hope he and they crash and burn

Atta girl, we take no shit, not anymore we fooking don't ! Razz Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Wonka 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Prior to that, Collingwood and Hawthorn were the two leading spenders in off-field activities, which was unsustainable given we weren’t even making finals

So your defence of the club not spending money is when it does it wastes it.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 am

Wonka wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Prior to that, Collingwood and Hawthorn were the two leading spenders in off-field activities, which was unsustainable given we weren’t even making finals

So your defence of the club not spending money is when it does it wastes it.

The allegation I was responding to is that we can’t employ good recruiting staff and assistant coaches for $10 million annually - do you agree with that?

In 2015 we were spending $11 million and not making finals. I’d Like to hear what you would have done as President... continue that trend and spent $12 million in 2016 & 2017, wasting $5m over 2 years when we didn’t make finals? Or cut back to $9.5m?

Or do you think we had a potential flag-winning team in those years, if only we had better assistant coaches?

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
It’s never good when you lose one of your key recruiting people. They leave with so much I P.
The best way we can offset this, is to hopefully snag a key recruiting plank from another club.

Get it done, Pies.

THIS! ^

Not Hopeful, but yeah, we should be able to do this just because of who we are, especially given current form. Instead we're losing good people. One thing we really should be sparing NO expense on is sport psychology. Wr have a long & convoluted history, & have 2 flags from our last 13 Gfs. Bucks has never really understood this part of the game, but psychology is the main reason we lost GF 2018, & PF 2019.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Wonka 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

In 2015 we were spending $11 million and not making finals. I’d Like to hear what you would have done as President... continue that trend and spent $12 million in 2016 & 2017, wasting $5m over 2 years when we didn’t make finals? Or cut back to $9.5m?

Dude, the president in 2016 & 2017 was the same one in 2015. Do you think this president is perfect?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:59 am

Wonka wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

Dude, the president in 2016 & 2017 was the same one in 2015. Do you think this president is perfect?

No. I also don't think the president wins flags

So now maybe you'll answer my question

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 am

This is a good upgrade in role for Dom Milesi. You wish him well.

Derek Hine has served us well as a recruiter over a long period of time and we'd prioritise his retention. Matt Rendell continues to assist him. Two very experienced guys.

Next year we likely have Reef McInnes with one of our picks and possibly Yousef Dib as well, both from Oakleigh.

We'll probably pick up someone else at a junior level for recruiting. Is Graham Wright really as good as he's vaunted to be around here? Acknowledging he is List Manager, like Ned Guy, I don't think the Hawks recruiting is anything special at all. They've just continued to chase experienced/recycled players from other teams (Mitchell, Scully, Patton, Henderson, O'Rourke etc) and their actual draft history in recent years is pretty poor ex Worpel.

We could badly do with a quality ruck coach. Are Pebbles and Travis Cloke really the best around at what they are doing?

We've already replaced Justin Longmuir with Matty Boyd but have not replaced Boyd.

Are we really spending as much as our peers?

K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
... Is Graham Wright really as good as he's vaunted to be around here? Acknowledging he is List Manager, like Ned Guy, I don't think the Hawks recruiting is anything special at all. ...

Wright is now football manager, so he doesn't do that stuff any more and probably wouldn't return to it at any club.

Albert Parker wrote:

The real question is: are we getting as much bang for our buck as our peers? Our recruiting team is one of the smaller in the AFL.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 pm

K wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
... Is Graham Wright really as good as he's vaunted to be around here? Acknowledging he is List Manager, like Ned Guy, I don't think the Hawks recruiting is anything special at all. ...

Wright is now football manager, so he doesn't do that stuff any more and probably wouldn't return to it at any club.

Albert Parker wrote:

The real question is: are we getting as much bang for our buck as our peers? Our recruiting team is one of the smaller in the AFL.

I suppose my point is that we lost Milesi - a recruiting guy - talent identifier.
Wright is a list manager now, like Ned Guy and not responsible for talent identification.
But Hawks have a pretty lacklustre track record of talent identification in the past decade for mine.
Admittedly they've traded away their early draft picks, but other than Worpel, who are they banging the drum about in terms of drafting young talent or even VFL/2nd league gems like Mihocek or Noble?

Their premiership was built off Franklin, Lewis, Hodge, Roughead etc who were draftees selected by Buckenara and Pelchen and prior to Graham Wright's involvement.
But the Hawks have had plenty of dud draft selections. Is Graham Wright the messiah as it pertains to replacing Milesi?

K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:35 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
I suppose my point is that we lost Milesi - a recruiting guy - talent identifier.
Wright is a list manager now, like Ned Guy and not responsible for talent identification.
But Hawks have a pretty lacklustre track record of talent identification in the past decade for mine.

I get that I may be going off topic a bit... but Wright hasn't been list manager for two seasons now. He's Hawks football director, like Walsh at the Pies, not like Guy.

Re. the Hawk's record, I guess they credit Wright's list management during the triple-premiership period. Success needs no explanation, as Pagan would say.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:40 pm

List management is seen as a step down. (I don't know if it should be. Does the football manager really do so much?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: