Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Richmond

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Except that they’re really, really not.

What are they not?

They are not worthy premiers. This is an AFL era of mediocrity. There are too many clubs and the talent, which was probably in limited supply anyway, has been spread too thinly. It's worse than that, really. The talent may have been simply wasted and lost, as GC and GWS screwed up the bodies or footy educations of a generation of kids. Meanwhile, NBA etc. lure kids to the dark side, which did not happen 30 years ago.

Rich's main achievement is to be virtually injury-free for four years. For the first two years, they were injury-free the entire two years. Last year, it looked like they'd finally have injuries (and they played like wooden spooners in that period), but magically they had all recovered when finals rocked around. This year we're at the pointy end of the season, and if reports that Prestia and Lynch are in full training are correct, they again are almost injury-free.

It's disturbing the other clubs haven't worked out the injury and fitness stuff. Normally secrets don't last more than about 18 months. Ideally, the bottom clubs would have poached Rich's fitness and medical staff by now.

I don't know how clubs expect to win finals against a club's full senior side when they are playing half of a VFL side because of their injury carnage.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 pm

So they aren't worthy because they haven't won a flag missing lots of players through injury?What a load of sh!t.

Richmond have been awesome over the past 4 years and in 2 years so far have stepped up and been the most dominant side in the finals.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am

Richmond have been given everything on a platter to them.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am

What'sinaname wrote:
So they aren't worthy because they haven't won a flag missing lots of players through injury?What a load of sh!t.

Richmond have been awesome over the past 4 years and in 2 years so far have stepped up and been the most dominant side in the finals.

I don't agree with most of K's comments. I do, though, agree that we are watching an AFL era in which none of the teams has as many good players as the great sides of the past.

My point was that, objectively, Richmond are not "one of the greatest teams ever" and will not be, even if they win the flag again this year. Not even a Richmond supporter would say that.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Another easy ride in the finals for richmond nicely set up too back to back flags here we come and i reckon they will make it 3 straight next year too.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

I don't agree with most of K's comments. I do, though, agree that we are watching an AFL era in which none of the teams has as many good players as the great sides of the past.

My point was that, objectively, Richmond are not "one of the greatest teams ever" and will not be, even if they win the flag again this year. Not even a Richmond supporter would say that.

Doesn't that make the Richmond team one of the best ever. The lack of good to great players means the Richmond are a great team. In the era of equalisation and spreading great players across 18 teams, it means being a great team involves getting the most out of all of your players, not relying on great players. As they say, the team is as good as your worst six players.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:25 am
Post subject: who can beat richmond?Reply with quote

Not really any one can.

But i have not written off the eagles they have huge upside and have a heap of players to come back in too. Port is another if there was. Depands on what port shows up they are very hot and cold.
Richmond can easy beat brisbane and geelong in the current situation.

Not sure on how they would go against st.kilda or even a bulldogs.

Richmond have the double chance so i expect them to go straight to the prelim week 1 and make the GF.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Its eagles,dogs as they like a scrape and maybe collingwood (2018 prelim).
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 am

Tigers through to their 4th consecutive PF and it means we have to see one of Richmond or Port in the GF and as possible premiers. Yuk!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:00 am

Barracking for Port, of course.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Doesn't that make the Richmond team one of the best ever. The lack of good to great players means the Richmond are a great team. In the era of equalisation and spreading great players across 18 teams, it means being a great team involves getting the most out of all of your players, not relying on great players. As they say, the team is as good as your worst six players.

They are not a great side, not because "they haven't won a flag missing lots of players through injury", but because if they even had an equal number of injuries as the main contenders they would struggle even to make the 8, let alone contend for a flag.

Great fitness staff, possibly. (Could be some luck, too.) Certainly not a great team. You'd need to include fitness staff in "team" even to start an argument.

Do you reckon Adelaide late 90s were "one of the greatest teams of all time"? Few footy fans outside Adelaide think that, but I don't know why anyone would think this Richmond side is "better" in its era than Adelaide were in theirs.

And we haven't even started talking about Richmond's pathetic interstate record. It may be impossible to make the interstate thing "fair" to everyone. A worthy premier would make the question moot by performing well interstate, not just at home.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Richmond make my blood boil
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Right now, Richmond are everything we wish we were
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

I'd rather eat my own vomit to be frank...

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

I'd rather eat my own vomit to be frank...

You’d rather eat your own vomit than play in 4 consecutive PF and have over 100,000 members Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: