Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kayo vs. Foxtel

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 pm
Post subject: Kayo vs. FoxtelReply with quote

[mods: can we please float this in GD for a while before moving to VPT?]

Okay, so we are held over a barrel here in regards to viewing AFL live.
It would seem Kayo are a subsidiary of Foxtel?

Trying to get a feel for who is going with Kayo over Foxtel, AND has anybody spoken to Foxtel [Eeengrish Swishboard] and had any success with demanding Foxtel charge them the same price for Kayo, without having to "buy" the other packages which blow the monthly costs out?

I only want the sports package, exclusively for AFL; nothing else.

I've had a gutful of Foxtel from previous years, and I'm tired of their arrogance, insatiable greed, and disdain for loyal customers.
Their business format is Flinstones outdated, with set times for garbage shows, not sure how anybody tolerates this, and I will go on record saying it is the AFL and NRL rights that stops this putrid business going to the wall.

Or should I just tell them to fkuc off and sign-up to Kayo?
I was given a Telstra TV2 device, which I believe should be able to add Kayo app. Can anybody advise if I am mistaken?

Thoughts peeps?

Dyso

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my Foxtel package late last year. Didn't want Rupert getting any more of my money.

But I succumbed and now he is getting $25 a month from me for Kayo. At least I am not locked into a contract and he's getting $40/month less off me.

I really like it. Have no real streaming issues and all the channels are there. Probably more functionality too to watch replays, condensed versions of games/highlights, sports docos, catch ups on different shows.

I think it's pretty good value for a sports lover (I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap now).

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:04 pm

I use neither. What I don’t catch free to air I watch via Telstra AFL Live App
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 am
Post subject: Re: Kayo vs. FoxtelReply with quote

piedys wrote:
[mods: can we please float this in GD for a while before moving to VPT?]

Okay, so we are held over a barrel here in regards to viewing AFL live.

Trying to get a feel for who is going with Kayo over Foxtel, AND has anybody spoken to Foxtel [Eeengrish Swishboard] and had any success with demanding Foxtel charge them the same price for Kayo, without having to "buy" the other packages which blow the monthly costs out?

I only want the sports package, exclusively for AFL; nothing else.

I've had a gutful of Foxtel from previous years, and I'm tired of their arrogance, insatiable greed, and disdain for loyal customers.
Their business format is Flinstones outdated, with set times for garbage shows, not sure how anybody tolerates this, and I will go on record saying it is the AFL and NRL rights that stops this putrid business going to the wall.

Or should I just tell them to fkuc off and sign-up to Kayo?
I was given a Telstra TV2 device, which I believe should be able to add Kayo app. Can anybody advise if I am mistaken?

Thoughts peeps?

Dyso

We did Kayo in the footy season then unsubscribed when the season was over. Couldn't afford to do the whole Foxtel as we watch too much TV as it is. (SBS on demand, ABC iView and Netflix /Stan is more than enough (split the latter with my daughters)

Will likely do Kayo again.

I use a long cable which I connect from the laptop to the TV.

CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:22 am

I use Kayo and, while it is dependent on band width, it’s not a bad picture, especially on the phone or tablet. Mirroring to a large TV isn’t perfect, but watchable.

As an option, Coming into the footy season the last five or six years, the Herald Sun has offered packages using Foxtel previously and now I have Kayo. For the price of a monthly digital subscription last year (30 bucks a month), I received KO for free. If you already buy that paper, this could be an option for you as it virtually means a zero cost sports coverage. Additionally, while I maintain my Herald Sun subscription, the KO deal never comes off. This is different from the previous Foxtel arrangement, which was only for 12 months. Hopefully for others, they repeat the offer this year.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 am

Happy with Kayo
should work with your telstra device
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 am

Works well on the app on my Sony Smart TV
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 am

didick, Woods Of Ypres, CrossPie, WPT,

Would any of you have any idea of how much data you use a month to get Kayo?? I am on mobile wireless broadband, as it's the only fast, reliable internet I can get. However, it's expensive and I can't afford a lot of data.!!

I know they give guesstimates on the Kayo website, but I wouldn't be inclined to trust those.

I guess if it chews up too much data, I can always unsubscribe at any time?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:09 pm

I switched to Kayo last year. $40 per month or so saving.
All the Foxtel sports programming - AFL, Cricket, NBA etc

I view it via a Telstra TV box on my TV.
I watch free to air programming via the apps on that ABC iview etc.

My son also accesses the Kayo on his laptop.

I have found Kayo to be OK in terms of picture quality. Does depend upon your internet as to how smooth it all runs.

Only thing I find slightly annoying is that you select a show and at the end of that program it cuts out at the predicted time and you have to select a new one.
On Foxtel you chose channel X04 AFL and it continuously ran from one program/game to the next.

Significant saving though. I'd recommend it.

Can't help you Pyrenees Pie on data usage. I have unlimited broadband, which Telstra upgraded me to on my package, so I don't take any notice.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:41 pm

^ You can choose to watch the channels on Kayo, too - you have to scroll down to find them. They're the very bottom row on the Home page.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Can't help you Pyrenees Pie on data usage. I have unlimited broadband, which Telstra upgraded me to on my package, so I don't take any notice.

Thanks anyway Albert Parker. I guess the most logical thing to do would be to do the free trial and monitor the data usage. Smile
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Yeah give it a go PP. I can't provide any insight on usage too as I have an unlimited data plan with IiNet.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 pm

^Yep, I'd definitely give it a go on a one month free trial.

Thanks for the tip on watching the channel too P4S

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Kayo for me.....It has key moments so I can flick through goals at my pleasure. Kayo minis are also pretty great (every other sport except AFL because I think Telstra hold media rights for AFL).

Plus in to my 9th month of free Kayo thanks to Bet Easy deal (unfortunately now finished) just needed a new mobile and email but could use same CC.

A bit more info with Kayo you will get the 7/7 mate feed with ads for channel 7 games even though you are watching through ch 504 foxtel feed before and after game but cuts over to 7 at bounce. Foxtel IQ is ad free.

However if you download and install Kodi and add the Kayo add on the genius NZ guy who wrote the app had the proper no add Foxtel feed and I just cast that to ATV or chrome cast.

If you watch a full game in 1080p then it chews up about 3GB of data.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:02 am

piedys wrote:

Yes, that's right. It's possible Kayo pricing and service will start changing too, because it's not doing well financially.

"The pay TV giant's Murdoch-controlled parent company, News Corp, revealed in an update to investors on Friday that Kayo's paying subscriber base had declined by 32,000 since November to stand at 370,000.

Kayo was launched by Foxtel in November 2018 as a cheaper offering targeting customers unwilling to pay higher prices for Foxtel. Internally it was viewed as a key growth driver for News Corp in Australia. The service costs $25 a month compared to upwards of $50 a month for Foxtel.

JP Morgan analyst Eric Pan said he was concerned about the Kayo interface and technology.

"Kayo itself is an issue and that’s part of the reason why they are losing subs," he said.

Foxtel is 65 per cent-owned by News Corp and 35 per cent-owned by Telstra. It secured cricket rights, together with Seven West Media, in a $1.2 billion deal in 2018.

The pay TV service last year warned it would cut spending on "non-marquee sports" amid financial losses."

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/foxtel-s-kayo-sports-streaming-play-suffers-shock-subscriber-fall-20200207-p53yui.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: