Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week as number of suburbs were going into lockdown the Andrew's Government cut funding for emergency accommodation for the homeless back to pre covid levels. Those of us in the sector were originally told that the 1,500 plus homeless people who were placed in emergency accommodation through covid funding wouldn't be sent back on to the streets but would be given priority access to long term accomodation. Many of them found out last Friday when hotel staff told them that their rent hadn't been paid by their respective support agencies, so they would have to stump up the funds themselves or leave. Seems like a bad decision all round under the current circumstances.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
The point, clearly, is that the buildings and the wellbeing of residents were essentially neglected by the powers that be until the virus was already out of control

Last time I was there, David, the towers were a neglected, stinking hell-hole. The greasy walls were made of tissue paper, the floors were so thin you could hear people walking around two floors above your head, half the lifts didn't work, and the other half were puddles of broken glass, spew, and urine. That was in 1974.

Dan has to wear this disgrace? Sure he does. He has to wear it equally with the others who have done nothing to fix it: Dick Hamer, Lindsay Thompson, John Cain, Joan Kirner, Jeff Kennett, Steve Bracks, John Brumby, Ted Baillieu, and Denis Napthine.

Now if you are going to talk about the fact that they didn't predict the issue and head it off before it happened, show me where you were smarter. Or anyone here. Scummo's failure to close the borders soon enough was something we all knew about - I was shouting out the need long before he acted, as were others here. So blame attaches. But this one, unless you can show me that you predicted it, no.

Of course it's a combination of both decades of neglect and specific failures over the past few months, though. Whether or not I would have done any better is irrelevant; they had access to the relative information about spread and time to act, and didn't. Did we just discover yesterday that these apartment blocks were "vertical cruise ships"? Why weren't they being treated as such, both when the virus was taking off and when we thought it was mostly under control? It sounds like the people in these apartment blocks were sitting ducks, and someone should have seen that coming and implemented exactly what the residents suggested: on-site testing, proper sanitation, multi-language information resources and so on. Instead, they're paying 500 police officers to patrol a site day and night but couldn't hire a cleaner two weeks ago, it seems.

who is this someone?

did someone from the building raise concern? as for the cleaner, have you been there? there a couple near richmond i walked past recently, they are bloody disgusting, whos fault is that? who is this someone?

and they are not just 'patrolling" they are policing, they are making sure people are ok, they are defusing horrible situations, and protecting people from themselves,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
Last week as number of suburbs were going into lockdown the Andrew's Government cut funding for emergency accommodation for the homeless back to pre covid levels. Those of us in the sector were originally told that the 1,500 plus homeless people who were placed in emergency accommodation through covid funding wouldn't be sent back on to the streets but would be given priority access to long term accomodation. Many of them found out last Friday when hotel staff told them that their rent hadn't been paid by their respective support agencies, so they would have to stump up the funds themselves or leave. Seems like a bad decision all round under the current circumstances.

this should be on a current affair, thats bloody disgusting, no one should be on the street in this weather, or in a country this wealthy.,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:38 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
A friend lives in an apartment but at the Edgewater Estate in Maribyrnong which is also in lock down.
Earlier today when I spoke with her, I asked how she was coping.
She's fine but you know, she has a laundry, ample open plan area & a balcony over looking the Maribyrnong River. She is white, privilege & middle class.
These resisdents living in those 9 towers are not.

Mum in Maidstone & she's also coping OK, although no one has knocked on her door yet to test.

why bring race into it? there are plenty of white people in the towers.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Man arrested after allegedly biting police officer while trying to flee lockdown tower

"The 32-year-old man tried to leave this afternoon and a fight ensued, Mr Patton told a media briefing."

(Fairfax)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:11 pm

and it seems NSWelsh people are not real bright! or maybe just selfish

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-06/byron-bay-bush-doof-sparks-coronavirus-hotspot-fears/12424880

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Fairfax reports the tower residents received:

"3000 meals from food relief organisation Food Bank that were distributed to residents on Sunday

1000 Food Bank hampers containing staple foods such as cereal, long-life milk, sugar, pasta and canned vegetables

350 personal care packs including soap, deodorant, toothpaste, nappies, baby formula

Every single household received a bread and milk delivery at their door

3000 prepared meals and 4500 pastries from charity Fareshare

Halal meals provided by the Victorian Trades Hall in partnership with social enterprise Moving Feast

Seven pallets of essential personal care items provided by Coles

400 packages for kids in the tower containing toys such as crayons, lego and puzzle books".
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:31 pm

But the residents said they have received nothing or what they have is not good enough

Should we feel sorry for them all? Well there are obviously a number of people in those towers who were doing the wrong thing and have brought these actions onto their neighbours.

There is no reason the entire city or the state should suffer when the outbreaks so far are quite localised.

I know Dan wants us to all show our appreciation to the hundreds of people who flouted the restrictions and spread the virus but maybe I’m just too pissed off now to have sympathy for them.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:34 pm

David wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:
I have to say that I’m appalled by the abject cruelty of this tower block lockdown. How can anyone support this?

Needs to be done to halt the spread of corona and avoid a total state lockdown. Simple as that. What would be your solution?

There are people in the towers that are thankful this is occurring because they understand the situation and realise that if it doesn't happen, it will be worse for everyone.

A state lockdown for a few weeks of the kind we saw in March–April would be more reasonable than turning cramped apartment blocks into prisons (thus increasing their vulnerability to the virus), imho. Nobody was patrolling your front door to ensure you didn’t walk outside and get a breath of fresh air then; why is that considered an acceptable situation for this class of people? Is there anywhere else in the western world that has done something like this on a large scale?

I really do wonder how many people would be so keen to spruik the merits of this "necessary evil" if they had to trade places.

Well we know Chaiman Dan wants us to be like China so copying their tactics was only a matter of time. If anymore people keep attacking police officers then I fully support him going all the way and welding their doors shut!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
But the residents said they have received nothing or what they have is not good enough

Should we feel sorry for them all? ...

... but maybe I’m just too pissed off now to have sympathy for them.

David won't be happy, but it looks like they are getting a very good deal. I wonder what the reaction would be if we showed this info to people in other countries. I reckon a lot of them would laugh in disbelief that they're being treated so well. If this stretches out from 5 days to 50 days, without more gifts from Santa, then it may be a bit different. 5 days is nothing. Their whingeing alone takes more than 5 days.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Meanwhile in Toronto...

Mandatory Mask or Face Covering Bylaw

"Wearing a mask or face covering will be required in indoor public spaces beginning July 7, 2020 under City of Toronto By-Law 541-2020. The mask or face covering should cover your nose, mouth and chin, without gapping. Wearing a mask or face covering is an additional measure we can take to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and keep each other safe. This means that, with some exceptions, all customers or visitors entering an indoor premise are required to wear a mask or face covering while inside."

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-what-you-should-do/covid-19-orders-directives-by-laws/mandatory-mask-or-face-covering-bylaw/

They add this about face shields:

"A face shield is not an alternative to a mask. The US Centres for Disease Control in the United States has stated that they “do not recommend use of face shields as a substitute for cloth face coverings. It is not known if face shields protect others from the spray of respiratory particles. The CDC does not recommend use of face shields for normal everyday activities or as a substitute for cloth face coverings.”

Last edited by K on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:43 pm

K wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Should we feel sorry for them all? ...

... but maybe I’m just too pissed off now to have sympathy for them.

David won't be happy, but it looks like they are getting a very good deal. I wonder what the reaction would be if we showed this info to people in other countries. I reckon a lot of them would laugh in disbelief that they're being treated so well. If this stretches out from 5 days to 50 days, without more gifts from Santa, then it may be a bit different. 5 days is nothing. Their whingeing alone takes more than 5 days.

couldnt agree more.

david said " I really do wonder how many people would be so keen to spruik the merits of this "necessary evil" if they had to trade places."

what if i said you had to do it to protect your son?

and just so you know, ive been calling for a more full lockdown for weeks. ive barely been out, which is why i was so shocked by the behaviour at people at the zoo last week.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:00 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/06/today-show-dumps-pauline-hanson-for-divisive-remarks-about-melbourne-public-housing-residents
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1279911568856104960

As this tweet above points out, it's not as if her comments would have been unexpected. Indeed, this is precisely why they insist on seeking out her opinion.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:

this should be on a current affair, thats bloody disgusting, no one should be on the street in this weather, or in a country this wealthy.,

Indeed it should. The whole point of providing the additional funds for emergency accommodation was to enable the homeless to social distance to stop/slow the spread of covid19. I don't why they chose last week of all weeks to cut the funding. In this bid to cut costs in the short term they'll actually end up causing further damage to the economy and the public's health.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 245 of 252   

Jump to: