Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Well, yes and no - there have been enough cases for us to have a good handle on the infection mortality rate. You can then use that rate to perform a reverse calculation from the number of deaths in a particular country or community and you will have a reasonable handle on the extent to which there is under-reporting (except, possibly, for China - which is either doing a magnificent job or its authorities are lying through their teeth). So, when a country is reporting 10% of the number of "confirmed cases" as deaths, you know they haven't counted their cases correctly (unless the pandemic's hold in that country is in its embryonic stages and the statistical sample is trivial).

The reason doing that reverse calculation can be helpful is it can tell you, on a large scale, whether Australia's 5,000+ confirmed cases is anywhere near the mark or not. It plainly is - and, although K has identified issues about the efficacy of testing, statistically those don't matter because we can assess mortality rates by reference to confirmed case rates with reasonable confidence.

Thus, eg, working with the .0066 factor that has been recently published, Australia "should" have experienced about 35 deaths from its 5,224 cases. Some of them are, of course, newly confirmed, so you would expect the actual deaths from those cases (at the moment) to be less than the 35. They are 25. Put another way, if Australia had 150 deaths from 5,224 cases, I'd be saying there was a dramatic under-enumeration in our "confirmation" process. I don't really think that's the case at the moment. If there are more cases that haven't been picked up by testing, we don't seem to be missing too many clinically significant cases.

By contrast, on the figures published right now, the US plainly has a massive under-reporting problem in their confirmed cases - the death rate is ostensibly 2.4%. That is just not going to be correct - it is much more likely that there are around 800,000 to 1,000,000 cases than that the US is experiencing death rates up to 4 times higher than the death rates have been recorded in totally unprepared third-world countries.

Statistics isn't an exact science, it is an art - after any calculation is performed, one has to be able to assess the reliability of the answer by reference to check calculations. Obviously our knowledge changes over time and we can perform more sophisticated checking, so our answers are more precise. But, even so, I am very confident that there isn't much clinically significant under-assessment of cases in Australia at the moment and I am every bit as confident that the US is only picking up (to date) about 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 clinically significant infections. That, put simply, is why the US spread rates are out of control and Australia's are being pulled back.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
... But, even so, I am very confident that there isn't much clinically significant under-assessment of cases in Australia at the moment and I am every bit as confident that the US is only picking up (to date) about 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 clinically significant infections. That, put simply, is why the US spread rates are out of control and Australia's are being pulled back.

The true number of infection cases in Australia by necessity cannot really be significantly less than twice the official number. It could be five times as much. The best estimate is about three times as much. That's just the reality of the testing criteria and the tests.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 am

Maybe - but you are making a point (if any point is to be made) that is completely irrelevant to assessing the progress of the pandemic in Australia. That is - if infections were 5 times the number reported, all that tells us - given that the mortality rate is presently within the predicted range based on the worldwide infection mortality rate - is that the mortality calculation should be .0066/5.

Test your own figures against the reported deaths here.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 am

The number of deaths in Australia so far is low. I worry more about tracking the number of infections, including the number of community-transmitted infections, which is hard to know. (For starters, it's these numbers that'll show whether we should ease the lockdown, not the number of deaths.)

The infection mortality rate is something we really do not know and is country-specific anyway.

When I look at the claimed raw killing power (contagiousness, lethality) of COVID-19, it does not seem to be anywhere near some of the others (check out ebola). I think one of the main problems with COVID-19 is the spread through undetected asymptomatic carriers in the community.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am

The US has a population approximately 12.75 times larger than Australia but have 210 times more deaths as of 03.04.20

27.03.20 100x
20.03.20 31x

Germany has a population approximately 3.25 times larger than Australia but have 39.5 times more deaths as of 03.04.20

27.03.20 20.5x
20.03.20 6x

The UK has a population approximately 2.65 times times larger than Australia but have 104 times more deaths as of 03.04.20

27.03.20 44.5x
20.03.20 20x

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:01 pm

And remember the UK NHS death numbers are only hospital deaths ( https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1957166#1957166 ).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:30 pm

25: A man in his 80s died in hospital in Victoria.

26: A 74-year-old woman from Albury died overnight.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm

By comparison, there are now 6,075 deaths in the US and I think they’re under-reporting total infections by at least 650,000 cases (round numbers). The situation there is really very dire, indeed.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:15 pm

And the NT News goes Bang.

Quote:
Coronavirus: China lying about number of cases and deaths, US intelligence says
We already knew that China tried to cover up the coronavirus when it first emerged. A damning new report says the deception is still ongoing.

I'm guessing Rupert doesn't need anything from China.

Quote:
China has lied about the extent of the coronavirus outbreak within its borders, downplaying both the number of cases and deaths – and undermining the world’s capacity to respond to the pandemic.

That is the conclusion of a classified report compiled by US intelligence agencies and given to the White House last week, Bloomberg News reports, citing three anonymous American officials.

Two of those officials put it rather bluntly, saying the report found China’s figures were “fake”.

Not much room for misunderstanding there, say what you mean.

Quote:
China did not publicly admit coronavirus could spread from human to human until January 20, the same day President Xi Jinping finally made a public statement outlining a response to the disease.

A week earlier, the World Health Organisation (WHO) was still parroting Chinese authorities’ false claims there was “no clear evidence” of such transmission.

We now know the virus is, and always was, extraordinarily contagious.

By suppressing that information for weeks, China robbed the rest of the world of time it could have used to prepare for the pandemic.

Yep.

Quote:
The Washington Post has pointed out that China’s data started to show the virus’s spread slowing markedly around the same time its government’s messaging shifted.

“Once the central government’s propaganda mission to win the ‘people’s war’ against the virus became clear, numbers shifted to achieve that vision,” the newspaper noted.

“Such shifts would probably be subtle – not hundreds or thousands of hidden deaths, but instead excluding deaths that could be attributed to other types of pneumonia or heart failure, for instance.”

Reacting to the US intelligence report today, Republican Senator Ben Sasse dismissed China’s figures as “garbage propaganda”.

“The claim that the United States has more coronavirus deaths than China is false,” Mr Sasse said.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/coronavirus-china-lying-about-number-of-cases-and-deaths-us-intelligence-says/news-story/b5af849df9abd10742ce312c24ccd254?fbclid=IwAR0pDBH1lmutV0DmoqHHnUOquIi0IwOM3Zg1f1cX6CVk7YDIyKff940SE9o

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to read that DRW Entertainment has just emailed me to let me know that Helmet's tour has been rescheduled for November this year. The 5 November show at the Croxton Park is sold out but there may still be tickets for 6 November.

Personally, my priorities don't include paying for anything 7 months in advance, just now. Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 pm

This almost belongs in the what made you laugh thread.

Quote:
The Malaysian government was forced to apologize after its Women's Development Department published a series of sexist "tips" to help deal with the ongoing coronavirus lockdown, including advising women to continue to wear makeup and to "avoid nagging."

The campaign was met with fierce backlash online, and the posts have since been deleted from the department's social media account.

Apparently the advice to women working from home was to not wear normal "home" clothes, but dress up like they were going to work, including putting on the make up. Nagging should be a criminal offence anyway.

Anyway, it's not like Malaysia has form in being sexist.

Quote:
The Malaysian government and its leaders have faced accusations of sexism and misogyny on multiple occasions in recent years. During a debate on amending domestic violence laws in 2017, a member of parliament said husbands were "abused" when wives threw insults, withheld sex and denied consent for Muslim men to take another wife.

A perfectly reasonable position to take I would have thought.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/asia/malaysia-womens-advice-controversy-coronavirus-intl-scli-hnk/index.html

Potentially time to make like track 2 from side 2 of the original Number of the Beast album

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:46 pm

I know the message is stay at home, but the missus and I take our mad crazy dog to a semi deserted beach around 70 minutes away every weekend. We enjoy the 2-3 hour walk and fossick whilst our mad crazy dog gets the exercise she needs. It's very easy to keep a very safe distance from other people down there.

Is this type of activity still allowed?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
I know the message is stay at home, but the missus and I take our mad crazy dog to a semi deserted beach around 70 minutes away every weekend. We enjoy the 2-3 hour walk and fossick whilst our mad crazy dog gets the exercise she needs. It's very easy to keep a very safe distance from other people down there.

If it's a closed beach, it might be the most expensive walk of your life. You and the missus might be slugged $1652 each.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:

If it's a closed beach, it might be the most expensive walk of your life. You and the missus might be slugged $1652 each.

So the 70 minute journey isn't an issue?
Beach isn't closed afaik but will double check.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:

So the 70 minute journey isn't an issue?
Beach isn't closed afaik but will double check.

Not that I know of. You'll be in a car with the person you live with.

Have 4 mates in the car and you could be in trouble.

AFAIK, going for a walk 70 min from home isn't recommended, but not against the law.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 96 of 252   

Jump to: