Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bushfires and fuel reduction

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ I’ve included further findings above, Stui. I wouldn’t say it’s exactly a vindication of the "bushfires were caused by too much green tape" argument.

Extract here of access to fire trails.

Quote:
Yet fire trails in NSW were inadequate in 2019-20
Nonetheless, the Inquiry heard a repeated message from many stakeholders – that the poor condition of the fire trail network significantly slowed up and hindered fire suppression activities during the 2019-20 season. The issues identified by various stakeholders included:
 poor maintenance of fire trails preventing them from being used due to the unacceptable threat posed to the safety of firefighters
 the lack of fire trails into hard-to-access bush land, for example
landscapes with terrain constraints including steep slopes, cliffs, deep creek lines and gullies and rock ledges
 fire trails being maintained for alternate uses but not up to a standard needed for fire mitigation or suppression
 land management agencies, particularly NPWS, were perceived as deliberately blocking or closing trails, and deliberately allowing trails to fall into disrepair, with reasons for such including legal impediments, prevention of arson or rubbish dumping,
and restricting recreational vehicle damage to sensitive environmental areas.

For example, in its meeting with the Inquiry, the Cooma Incident management Team raised the issue that the extent of work required during the season on existing fire trails to enable safe use and passage was an ongoing challenge. They went on to explain that, due to the fire activity and inadequacy of the existing trails in that region, they also had to develop
containment lines separately from any identified fire trails.695 The Inquiry heard particularly stringent criticism from both community and government
stakeholders of fire trails owned or managed by NPWS. Its various statutory obligations were described as being in tension, resulting in perceptions that the wrong obligation was prioritised over another, e.g. conservation imperatives over protection of lives and property

page 221.

NPWS is national Parks and Wildlife Service.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 pm

If I'm reading that correctly, they're saying that they received submissions criticising "conservation imperatives" as being unduly prioritised, not that the inquiry itself found that to be the case. Elsewhere, the inquiry does describe such imperatives as being "in tension" with hazard reduction burning, but there's no suggestion that there's been an undue focus on it (perhaps I'm not adequately reading between the lines, but I think it's telling that there's nothing in the recommendations about shifting the balance away from conservation concerns or watering down regulations). Elsewhere, for what it's worth, the question of whether there needed to be more hazard reduction burning and whether it would have had any significant impact on the fires is described as being "not fully understood or quantified".
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm

I saw all that.

it will be interesting if there's any such inquiry report into the Victorian fires. It seems on the surface that this is another example of where NSW has it's shit together better than Victoria.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:36 pm

The UFU in Victoria said there was no need for another enquiry so Dans hands are tied!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:35 pm

I think we should be adopting Aboriginal tradtional practices but lets not go too far. I draw the line at their form of male circumcision. Anaesthetic, a slalpel & when you're a baby beats two pieces of flint and being a teenager.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:28 pm

It's the adult converts I feel most sorry for, WPT!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:40 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
The UFU in Victoria said there was no need for another enquiry so Dans hands are tied!

Guess we'll see what happens this year then. There's plenty of places still ripe to burn and with La Nina bringing more rain to get all the grass and undergrowth going, all we'll need is a couple of hot dry weeks in late January.

That's assuming they haven't been doing hazard reduction burns and clearing undergrowth during Covid.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I saw all that.

it will be interesting if there's any such inquiry report into the Victorian fires. It seems on the surface that this is another example of where NSW has it's shit together better than Victoria.

With all due respect: there’s been loads of inquiries including a royal commission in Victoria. What we need to see is have the recommendations been enacted, if so to what extent? If not why not.

That’s where governments need to be held accountable, to what extent have they implemented recommendations (of all political persuasions and jurisdictions)

There needs to be some mechanism to highlight what was recommended and what was done (& not just related to fires).

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 pm

The previous government enacted the findings then the Andrews government reversed them.

Notice how the worst fires in Victoria all occur under Labor governments?

1983, 2009, 2020.

Must be a coincidence

But we do have all these enquiries and the unions refuse to cooperate then tell Andrews what they want and he does that instead.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:26 am

eddiesmith wrote:
The previous government enacted the findings then the Andrews government reversed them.

Notice how the worst fires in Victoria all occur under Labor governments?

1983, 2009, 2020.

Must be a coincidence

But we do have all these enquiries and the unions refuse to cooperate then tell Andrews what they want and he does that instead.

Eddie, get your hand off it, you’ll go blind.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Pot, Kettle, Black
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Great article about how reintroducing traditional burning practices in the Great Sandy Desert are having positive impacts on biodiversity and preventing the large hot bush fires that used to happen most years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/historic-photos-guide-indigenous-burning-great-sandy-desert/100083720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: