Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Darwin Awards

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:47 pm
Post subject: Darwin AwardsReply with quote

As we all should know, the Darwin awards are for people who remove themselves from the gene pool with acts of sheer stupidity, therefore increasing the health of the remaining pool.

I've been tempted to start this thread several times but today, why not.

Now the Strawberry Fields music festival was up in Tocumwal again this weekend. Year 11 I think. The organisers seem to do a great job, they're linked in with the local council and cops and make a point of trying to positively engage with the local community.

They have a no drugs policy.

https://www.strawberry-fields.com.au/must-read-az-guide

They have food trucks and medical and mental heath assistance on site (good because the local hospital is basically a palliative care ward these days) It's BYO alcohol as long as it's not in glass and free tap water available if you don't fancy drinking straight from the river.

Cops stake out the road to town doing drug and alcohol tests, there's a cheap mini bus you can use to get to town to top up the booze or just scare the locals with your outfit.

I like this little statement on the webpage linked to above.

Quote:
We fully support the efforts of the Victorian and New South Wales Police, in ensuring the safety of Strawberry Fields patrons and the broader community in relation to travelling to and from the event. There will be extensive road operations going into, and out of the event, searching vehicles for illicit substances and testing drivers who might be under the influence.

If you try to bring illicit substances into Strawberry Fields, you will be searched and will face the consequences. If you drink or take illicit substances and drive, you will be tested and will face the consequences.

Don't do something illegal that could both ruin your weekend, and jeopardise the future of Strawberry Fields.

Be smart and responsible on the roads - your life, and your mates lives are in your hands.

So despite all that, my inaugural Darwin Award winner is this bloke.

Quote:
A man has died from a suspected drug overdose at a southern New South Wales music festival.

Police said the 24-year-old was taken to the medical tent early this morning at the Strawberry Fields festival in the Riverina.

Medical staff were told he had taken multiple substances including GHB, MDMA and cocaine.

The man suffered a cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at 2:02am.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-01/man-dies-drug-overdose-at-nsw-music-festival/11754440

Pill testing wouldn't have helped this numbnut, that combination is like playing russian roulette with an Uzi.

Condolences to his family

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

cue the ' he has never done it before' what dying .
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am

Saw this story on 9 News' facebook page, with the headline Festival Tragedy. I had to comment that no, it's not a tragedy - Bushfires - tragedy, Titanic - tragedy, Tsunami - tragedy. Dying from taking drugs not a tragedy, a bad decision.

Most comments I've received have agreed 100%, of course there's a few saying I lack empathy and they hope it doesn't happen to me. Well, it won't because, you know, drugs can kill you. Obviously. And if I did, and died, still wouldn't be a 'tragedy'.
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 am

Stupid decision or not, it's still a tragedy, and though pill testing may not have helped, overall better education of drugs would have.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am

How is it a tragedy?? Same as a footy player needing a knee reconstruction, commentators like to call a tragedy - it's not. It's disappointing, upsetting, heartbreaking. Not a tragedy. People dying through no fault of their own - tragedy. Deciding to take drugs & dying from it - more bad luck than tragic.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm

It's probably a tragedy for the family, they've lost a son, brother etc.

Taking an eccie or a line of coke and dying is really shit luck but the risk was there.

Taking a notoriously dangerous depressant (GHB) mixed with 2 stimulants (MDMA and Coke) is inviting death.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm

So so many candidates.............

But for 2019 my fav is : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/08/rhino-poacher-killed-by-an-elephant-and-then-devoured-by-lions
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

I've always hated the "Darwin Awards" concept. I mean, I understand the black-humour aspect and that some people die in objectively ridiculous ways, but then we all have moments of stupidity and thoughtlessness, and probably can each think of a moment in which we could have died in a way that might have qualified us for this (I can certainly think of a few, personally; or maybe I just do more stupid things than the average person, which is admittedly somewhat possible!). Either way, whenever I read one of these stories, I can't help but think of the real person behind it and the enormity of that loss for those close to them. It seems a bit cruel to laugh at their expense. But each to their own!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am

David wrote:
I've always hated the "Darwin Awards" concept. I mean, I understand the black-humour aspect and that some people die in objectively ridiculous ways, but then we all have moments of stupidity and thoughtlessness, and probably can each think of a moment in which we could have died in a way that might have qualified us for this (I can certainly think of a few, personally; or maybe I just do more stupid things than the average person, which is admittedly somewhat possible!). Either way, whenever I read one of these stories, I can't help but think of the real person behind it and the enormity of that loss for those close to them. It seems a bit cruel to laugh at their expense. But each to their own!

for a lot of cases i agree with you, (the exception here being the poacher, thats just desserts!) never used to, used to get a big laugh out of them. guess things change as you get older, see more shit happening.
as for the stupid things, i think your probably just more honest than most people! I can certainly name a few im guilty of!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 pm

David wrote:
It seems a bit cruel to laugh at their expense. But each to their own!

Hmmm see I think it's a bit cruel to hack off a rhino's horn and then leave the animal to suffer horribly and die often leaving their young un orphaned to satisfy human stupidity and greed!

As you say each to their own!!
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
It seems a bit cruel to laugh at their expense. But each to their own!

Hmmm see I think it's a bit cruel to hack off a rhino's horn and then leave the animal to suffer horribly and die often leaving their young un orphaned to satisfy human stupidity and greed!

As you say each to their own!!

Oh yes, in those cases I would laugh & laugh & laugh and be filled with joy. And disappointment that it didn't happen before the rhino was murdered.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

If you come across stories of poachers killed by the animal they were hunting, add em in here, they definitely qualify.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 pm

This one's a couple of years old now, but I still got a laugh.

Quote:
Suicide Bomb Trainer in Iraq Accidentally Blows Up His Class

BAGHDAD — If there were such a thing, it would probably be rule No. 1 in the teaching manual for instructors of aspiring suicide bombers: Don’t give lessons with live explosives.

In what represented a cautionary tale for terrorist teachers, and a cause of dark humor for ordinary Iraqis, a commander at a secluded terrorist training camp north of Baghdad unwittingly used a belt packed with explosives while conducting a demonstration early Monday for a group of militants, killing himself and 21 other members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, army and police officials said.

Now watch closely class, I'm only going to show you this once..........

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/suicide-bomb-instructor-accidentally-kills-iraqi-pupils.html?smid=re-share&_r&_r=0

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Billions of dollars, bad habits and bad genetics, I give him 6 years, taking bets now.

Its not like he didn't know....

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Don't think mental health issues qualifies, and you don't get to choose your genetics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: