Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Animal welfare in Asia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 am
Post subject: Animal welfare in AsiaReply with quote

<split from "Chinese concentration camps" thread.>

the chinese obviously think they are above the law anywhere, did you see 60 min?
have a look what they did to this reef in Fiji

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/may/17/reef-wipeout-three-surfers-fight-china-linked-mega-resort-in-fiji

scum of the earth, and you think australia not mining coal will help, how do you stop China when they dont give a shit about their own people, any animal on the planet, anything but chinese rule?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
the chinese obviously think they are above the law anywhere, did you see 60 min?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/may/17/reef-wipeout-three-surfers-fight-china-linked-mega-resort-in-fiji

scum of the earth, and you think australia not mining coal will help, how do you stop China when they dont give a shit about their own people, any animal on the planet, anything but chinese rule?

While I think the country’s authoritarianism is a massive (and somewhat unique) problem, let’s not exaggerate their wickedness. Much of what you describe is just what superpowers do, and I hope you don’t think the US are a virtuous alternative.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:14 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

While I think the country’s authoritarianism is a massive (and somewhat unique) problem, let’s not exaggerate their wickedness. Much of what you describe is just what superpowers do, and I hope you don’t think the US are a virtuous alternative.

the US doesnt have a big festival each year where they skin dogs alive and throw them still screaming in agony into a pot of boiling water. and in the US parents havent felt the need to kill their daughters for a one child policy, so they can have sons to feed them later. i dont need to exaggerate their wickedness, they are plain $$%^%%$ evil.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Claims about dogs being skinned and boiled alive, certainly in any systematic way, seem unproven, TP:

https://www.animalsasia.org/au/media/news/news-archive/the-truth-about-the-yulin-dog-meat-festival-and-how-to-stop-it.html

Quote:
9/ Is it true that dogs are tortured or boiled alive to improve the flavour of the meat?

These are often-repeated accusations, and while there was some evidence of this many years ago, Animals Asia is yet to find evidence of this occurring today.
It’s no exaggeration to say that what the dogs suffer is indeed “torture”. However, we believe it’s more likely that this is due to cruel catching, transportation and slaughter – rather than a deliberate desire to prolong the pain of the dog for gratification, entertainment or to improve the dish in any way.
Inefficient slaughter techniques and the sheer scale of the killing involved means it’s probable that the cooking of dogs could start before their death.

I’ve said this before about selective outrage over animal cruelty, but I do wonder if you would be as outraged if the dogs in these pictures were replaced by sheep and chickens. Because I’ve certainly seen some pretty awful stuff involving animal transport and slaughter right here in Australia. So while animal slaughter methods in parts of regional China are likely to be crueller and less regulated than here in Australia, it’s silly (and probably a bit racist) to derive any conclusions about a people’s moral character from it – particularly if we’re seeking to position ourselves as morally superior.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/yulin-dog-meat-festival-video-china-blow-torch-animal-cruelty-a8969361.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychee_and_Dog_Meat_Festival

WARNING THESE ARE DISGUSTING PROOF

this lady is trying to stop it

https://www.vanderpumpdogs.org/stop-the-torture

The next one is the 20th of June, you got your holiday planned yet??

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:57 pm

No, I prefer to cook my own. Mr. Green
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:17 pm

^

Dachshund is perfect for the rotisserie on the smoker, Pug fit straight in the crock pot.

Embarassed

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Yeah that’s $$%^%%$ hilarious

Did you read the links? Do you get it at all or are they saints and I’m racist

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Apologies for my comments, somehow I didn't think you'd like the attempt at humour. Embarassed

I read the articles in the links, I didn't watch the video.

While I don't like the idea of eating dogs, I could live with it if I knew they were being treated humanely. However it certainly seems these ones aren't, not by any stretch.

I don't think your racist, but my next statement may be considered to be. Over history, the Asian nations have seemed to have a different approach to life and death than Western society. Less sympathetic, empathetic, more ruthlessly pragmatic. I don't think any of them get their kicks out of deliberately inflicting pain, some may, but most just don't give any consideration to the animals feelings any more than you would care about how a lettuce feels when you cut it up. Poverty and likely high infant mortality, breeds practicality. I very much doubt the people doing the killing and cooking of the dogs spend the rest of their time in an expensive apartment with all the latest mod cons

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Actually I didn’t see your name I thought the reply was David, I just saw red

I agree with you, but I reckon asians are the biggest racists of all. They see other nationalities as inferior and certainly they don’t give a crap about animals, they are I humane

I do know westernised asians who are not that way

And then their if they Japanese treatment of POws They make Guatemala look like a holiday camp.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:14 pm

So I just clicked back and it was David I was replying to, I’m not awake today I was literally up 1/2 the night with a very sick

Dog! Really! Not sure what he ate this time at least he didn’t need his stomach pumped again

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 pm

think positive wrote:
...... and certainly they don’t give a crap about animals, they are I humane

Pangolins, rhino, tigers, lions, bears etc etc etc - they don’t care all commodities to the Chinese - disgusting medieval oxygen thieves I detest them!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reference/traditional-chinese-medicine/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 pm

think positive wrote:
I agree with you, but I reckon asians are the biggest racists of all. They see other nationalities as inferior and certainly they don’t give a crap about animals, they are I humane

I do know westernised asians who are not that way

Alert: irony overload!

I don’t want to derail this thread into a discussion over whether Asians are an inferior race (FFS, are you reading the crap you’re posting?), but just a gentle reminder that most of the world’s, uh, pro-animal religions – Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Sikhism and others – hail from Asia. And by "pro-animal", I mean they are way more enlightened on animal welfare than most white Europeans are in 2020, and have been since long before the word "vegetarianism" had even entered the English language. So anyone who wants to generalise about Asians as a group being animal-torturing barbarians can give themselves a free uppercut.

Another thing to consider is that, yeah, as a general rule – where they haven’t been influenced by religious tradition – modern concerns about animal welfare have tended to be a product of affluence and comfort. If eating is a matter of daily survival and you don’t get to pick and choose which animals you’re going to arbitrarily put on a pedestal, or select from free-range or organic barn-laid at the supermarket, or all you have to prepare your family’s next meal is a rusty knife, maybe you’re going to be a little less invested in animals’ feelings. None of that is a reason to justify cruel practices in other countries or our own, but by the same token let’s please not use an obscure tradition in a Chinese city you couldn’t even point to on a map as an excuse to engage in vilification or dehumanisation of other people because of the country (or vague region of the world) that they happen to come from.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:45 pm

^ what a lot of absolute bollocks that is Rolling Eyes

Buddhist monks it seems are particularly enlightened!!

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-24/tiger-temple-where-frozen-cubs-found-to-open-new-venue/8301812

Never been to Asia have you David ( and I don’t mean Bali)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ what a lot of absolute bollocks that is Rolling Eyes

Buddhist monks it seems are particularly enlightened!!

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-24/tiger-temple-where-frozen-cubs-found-to-open-new-venue/8301812

Never been to Asia have you David ( and I don’t mean Bali)

If I could be bothered and enjoyed wasting my own time, I would respond to every shock-horror story you guys post with, I dunno, something about whaling in Svalbard, bullfighting in Spain or fun all-English activities from the not-so-distant past like bear-baiting. Maybe chuck in some animal testing by enlightened Western cosmetics companies for a bit of added flavour. But what’s the point in arguing with people who’ve already made their minds up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: