Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Salary Cap Cloggers: middle tier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:17 pm
Post subject: Salary Cap Cloggers: middle tierReply with quote

Like a bad haircut, sometimes it takes 2-3 more to get it back to normal and one can't help but feel that the off-field inefficiencies of 2014-17 are still being felt today. With 5 Football Managers in 4 years:

* Geoff Walsh
* Rodney Eade
* Neil Balme
* Gubby Allan
* Geoff Walsh Part 2

the legacy and interfering on list management decisions meant we severely overcapitalised our middle class performers:

* L.Greenwood:recruited on $450,000 X 4 years (when $450,000 was high)
* Chris Mayne: recruited on $500,000 X 4 years
* J Aish: has been on $400,000-$500,000 entire time
* D.Wells: was on $600,000 X 3 years
* Mason Cox: $1million over 3 years 2015-17 and $500,000 2017-20
* Tyson Goldsack: $400,000+ for 3 years to stave off Port in 2014
* M.Scharenberg: $400,000+ for 2018-20 to stave off Crows
* Ben Reid: been on big coin for last 7 years whilst injured

With Hine back in talent ID and Ned Guy 12 months into his List Management charter, a severe correction in list profiling and paying is hopefully being undertaken. Without professing to understand the inner workings, I would hope that a complete internal re-structure is taking place as we speak.

Something like this:

Tier 1: $75,000-$300,000:

* Includes all rookies, first 2 year draftees and basic jobber players

eg. Noble, Tohill, Murphy, Stephenson, Dunn etc..

Tier 2: $300,000-$450,000:

* Includes emerging talent, B graders who've reached their ceiling

eg. Maynard, Thomas, Phillips, Mihocek

Tier 3: $450,000-$600,000:

* includes B+ to A grade talent, prized recruits etc..

eg. Crisp, Howe, Adams, Beams Elliott, Moore

Tier 4: $600,000-$750,000:

* elite consistent reliable talent, elite prized recruits, superstar potential

eg. Treloar, Sidebottom, DeGoey

Tier 5: $750,000-$1,000,000:

* includes superstars, top 20 league matchwinners

eg. Brodie Grundy and Scott Pendlebury (Tom Lynch types)

The Connundrum:

What does Ned Guy do to retain Moore and DeGoey when they're both yet to finish top 5 in a Copeland, have fitness and poor injury profiles yet are so talented an elite A grade esque in their abilities???

Brodie Grundy? To me it's the easiest decision to make. Give him 6 years at the money asked and re-negotiate his 2020 payment up in the latter years so essentially give him 7 years. He is a once in a generation example with:

* Two Copeland wins
* Two top 5's
* Two All Australians
* Total industry respect

All by the junior age for Ruckmen be it 25 years old!! Magpies!!!! Reward this man and celebrate what a bona fide Champion he is! Don't get cute and low ball him. We have essentially given Treloar and Adams extensions which mean they're on 6+ year deals and here we are offering Brodie 3 years?? C'mon Ned, get to work on this.

That aside, continue the good work Ned and rate and reward our talent accordingly!

Last edited by inxs88 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Salary Cap Cloggers: middle tierReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:

the legacy and interfering on list management decisions meant we severely overcapitalised our middle class performers:

* Tyson Goldsack: $400,000+ for 3 years to stave off the Crows in 2016

I'm interested to know where you got this information from inxs. Is it freely available?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:03 am
Post subject: Re: Salary Cap Cloggers: middle tierReply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

* Tyson Goldsack: $400,000+ for 3 years to stave off the Crows in 2016

I'm interested to know where you got this information from inxs. Is it freely available?

The salaries come from multiple media reports at the times of signings combined with a good memory. Read enough, dig deep enough and they’re pretty accurate

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
Honestly, how many different ways do we want to hear how INXS88 thinks all of our problems come from paying probably $200k per year in the aggregate for a group of veterans more than we needed to (most of whom are likely leaving). All the while encouraging us to pay overs for two superstars who will likely be on this very same list in 4 years time!!!!!

Just because it's not 'official' doesn't mean he doesn't get to share his view. Not as if it the post is a single inflammatory byline like some of the numpties on here. It's considered and taken time to collate the information.
Keep up the negative feedback though, I'd miss the banter stemming from your and INXS88 posting tennis.
In any event, irrespective if some posts don't always hit the mark, passion rings true, makes our supporter base all the richer.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:04 am

Sharing a view is one thing, trying to pass off assumptions as fact is another. A bit arrogant if you ask me. I don't care how passionate you are, don't make shit up
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 am

This Article states that Goldy stayed on for a lot less than he might have got at Port. Is it factual? I don't know.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-increase-offer-to-keep-tyson-goldsack-amid-interest-from-port-adelaide/news-story/77559c98c86bdc5aac4021215e9d35c3

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:15 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
This Article states that Goldy stayed on for a lot less than he might have got at Port. Is it factual? I don't know.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-increase-offer-to-keep-tyson-goldsack-amid-interest-from-port-adelaide/news-story/77559c98c86bdc5aac4021215e9d35c3

Approximates

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:17 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Sharing a view is one thing, trying to pass off assumptions as fact is another. A bit arrogant if you ask me. I don't care how passionate you are, don't make shit up

Not assumption. Research, media reports at the time, player manager chats plus club media releases all add up to a near if not in some cases very accurate summation of our payments. Think we all know the Greenwood, Mayne and Wells salaries are public knowledge now.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 pm

So should salaries be made public? They are in most US leagues, I think.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:50 pm

^

Why? So people can obsess over them even more?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't know. Ask the Americans.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:39 pm

I think it reduces pointless speculation. If you know that a particular quarterback is getting $117 Million over 6 years, you roll with it. Also, if you know that your team still has only $8.96 Million available in its salary cap, approaching trade deadline, you know they can still add a couple of solid passrushers and you evaluate your team's recruitment accordingly.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:08 pm

More and more AFL contracts have clauses that factor in personal best KPIs ( fitness levels ) and games played inducements. Plenty of contracts include performance payments based on B and F finishes etc. Who would have thought that player managers almost earn their money these days. It’s a clubs right to set the bar high in a new contract and it’s a managers job to swing it to back in favour of the player.
I’m yet to be convinced the numbers that are available for public “ scrutiny “ are as cut and dried as they would have you believe anyway. As they say, the devil is in the detail, not the headline.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
More and more AFL contracts have clauses that factor in personal best KPIs ( fitness levels ) and games played inducements. Plenty of contracts include performance payments based on B and F finishes etc. Who would have thought that player managers almost earn their money these days. It’s a clubs right to set the bar high in a new contract and it’s a managers job to swing it to back in favour of the player.
I’m yet to be convinced the numbers that are available for public “ scrutiny “ are as cut and dried as they would have you believe anyway. As they say, the devil is in the detail, not the headline.

I've often wondered about this. Specifically, how do clubs ensure that they stay below the salary cap where the contracts are based on KPIs? If there was only one common KPI (e.g position in the b+f) then it would be easy, you'd just set aside a set amount of $$ to cover the bonuses payable to each place for which bonuses are payable. But I'm not sure how that would work where different KPIs are used for different players, like games, goals etc. Surely, you couldn't determine how much your total payments would be, leaving you open to going over. You'd imagine that clubs would need to be conservative and ensure they come in "under". In that case, you'd have to wonder whether the cap is being used efficiently. Could we have recruited better players by spending it all? Or do the incentives lead to improved performance significant enough to outweigh the underspend?
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Maynard definitely has not reached his limit...lol

We have a 13mil cap as of 2019.

The problem with list management is you either spend it all and risk not getting a player from another club... Or be North Melbourne and have huge cap space but fail in recruiting anyone to fill it.. And lay at the bottom of the ladder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: