Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Centre clearances -- the root cause of our losses

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 pm
Post subject: Centre clearances -- the root cause of our lossesReply with quote

Grundy had a whopping 73 hit-outs as the Pies won the tally 78-16, but the Giants read the Collingwood ruckman’s taps well, winning the clearances 54-35.

Let's repeat that.

73 hit-outs for Grundy to 16 by GWS.

Yet they won clearances 54-35.

This has been the story ALL YEAR.
Adz 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom 4 for clearances but top 4 for hit outs. Go figure.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:52 pm

It was our problem last year not just Centre clearances but stoppage in general. We couldn’t win the ball at the coalface we lost the territory battle due to lack of first use which forced our forwards to come up the ground thus whenever we won anything of HB we were outnumbered going forward.

Seems Bucks was right that this year was a waste as we haven’t learnt from last year. We need to find another Adams type that can play as an inside mid but win it 25-30 times every game. Maybe will be JDG in a year or 2.

We are kidding ourselves if we are blaming umpires. I was concerned at HT yesterday scoreboard had us up but we were getting smashed in most contested areas and they were driving the ball forward at will and locking it in F50.

I thought at HT either our prime mids will lift or GWS will start to take advantage of their dominance. Problem was our mids didn’t lift until the damage was well and truly done or more so their mids started to get tired.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Can we play Cox in the ruck and Grundy as a mid? Imagine Cox tapping it to Grundy...

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Yeah, I agree J75.

One thing's for sure, neither Callum Brown or Josh Daicos are going to be able to give us the midfield improvement we desperately need. They are both too small and simply not quite good enough, to provide what we need.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Can we play Cox in the ruck and Grundy as a mid? Imagine Cox tapping it to Grundy...

Mr Miyagi, I swear I hadn't read your comment before I posted mine in the Post Game Thread. Plus, I'd forgotten about Coxy (shame on me!!!) He is actually a really good tap ruckman. Cox to Grundy to running mid. Sounds good!!!!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:57 pm

sorry DP
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:48 pm

YAWN !
I will say it one more time. Clearances are extremely overrated. It’s the consequence of the clearance that matters.
Yes we would all like to win more clearances but it stands for nothing if the clearance isn’t to that teams advantage. At club level, that stat is as relevant as inside 50s.

Would it make some happier if we win 10 more clearances a game only to hand it straight back to the opposition while all our mids have followed the ball forward ?

We lost the 2018 grand final by a few points and our clearance numbers for the season weren’t great.
Then we lost a prelim by a few points and our clearances were worse.
The dogs won a flag with Boyd as their ruckman. Check those clearance numbers.
The tigers won a flag with the second worst clearance numbers in the competition in 2017.
It’s all about clearance outcomes / consequences, not raw clearance numbers.
The reason we are competitive “ despite “ the poor clearance numbers is because we are very good at retaining the ball after an opposition clearance.
It serves us well because that’s when you can maximise the opposition being caught out of position.
Having said that, why we are unable to capitalise on our ball retention after we win the ball at half back is an entirely different conversation.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I think what you are ignoring Pies2016, is the fact that we are losing clearances, despite having the most dominant ruckman in the comp. No doubt there's more than one way to skin a cat. Winning clearances does not guarantee victory. Sure, the Bulldogs and Tigers won flags without winning clearances, but that was because they did not have good rucks. Basically, they manufactured other ways to win, to make up for their obvious weakness. We, on the other hand, should be winning clearances hands down every week.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 pm

The whole point of the 6-6-6 rule was so teams could score quickly from centre clearances. We should be absolutely romping the rule. But we're not.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm

^ ^ ^

Ok R B and I see where you’re coming from too.

My point is that increasing our clearance numbers doesn’t automatically translate into a better scoreline.
As per recent history, some clubs get their best returns when they ( inadvertently ) concede the clearance because their defensive structures are so good. No one sets out to lose clearances but on the occasions when well drilled opposition win it back, it’s generally the best chance to hit the scoreboard without the extra numbers getting back.
I do accept that given Grundys dominance, we should have more clearance numbers but I can’t stress enough there is no evidence to suggest that would automatically improve our scoreline.
Our real issue is that we’re not maximising our return when we win the ball back at half back, especially considering how many clearances were conceding
😉
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

I don't remember any of the centre clearances by either side going straight to the defence. Did any?
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Honestly, I think trade Grundy. We need a power forward, midgets and mediums (checkers) aren’t going to cut it.
Move Cox to the middle, play two ruckman and pickup a gun fwd. Grundy for Cameron? Also go hard for Patton.
I’m just worried that the Beams trade has hamstring us.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I think we are both right P2016. Cool
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
The whole point of the 6-6-6 rule was so teams could score quickly from centre clearances. We should be absolutely romping the rule. But we're not.

That was what everyone thought but the scores have never been lower.
Certainly didn’t help Melbourne with Gawn and it didn’t effect Geelong who have no ruckman.
The advantage of 6 6 6 lasts about 15 secs and then the extra ( usually the winger ) sets up as the extra straight after the bounce.
The only thing that 6 6 6 has really done is expose the crap teams even further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: