Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A bogan Collingwood fan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm
Post subject: A bogan Collingwood fanReply with quote

"A bogan Collingwood fan sparked a wild MCG brawl when he filmed frustrated Carlton fans leaving their seats early. Thug Craig Clark kicked and punched a father and son during the fight."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fnews%2Flaw-order%2Fthug-attacked-father-and-son-in-mcg-footy-brawl%2Fnews-story%2Fd22e56eb447a36020fb81bc010255d30&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=45-b

**** you, Herald-Sun. The guy may have been involved in a brawl, but your lead in headline and hook is shit. Clark did Collingwood supporters no favours, and deserves a whack from the law, but geez this stereotype pisses me off. How many other brawls and beatings have there been this year not involving Collingwood supporters who weren't stereotyped? Dozens, with the most notable being three Demons supporters who are private school boys and sons of a magistrate getting off assault charges and escaping jail for beating a guy near to death. But hey, let's keep pushing the "Collingwood fans are bogans" angle. The other brawls and assaults involving other clubs were atrocious, but the perpetrators are never described in the way Collingwood offenders are. Assholes.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Your analysis is spot on Miyagi.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:18 pm

I agree. Private school bullies are the worst!
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Don’t buy it, don’t read it online
There is absolutely no need for this shit rag.
Stop wasting your hard earned on it.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:43 pm

^ Wise words scoobydo!!!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 pm

A good article about this phenomenon from a few years ago:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-14/humphreys-rise-above-bogan-loathing/3571876

The Herald Sun’s tendency to editorialise in "news" piece (usually through epithets) has never failed to astonish me. I guess they get it from the British red-tops.

It’s not like these newspapers have a particularly wealthy or educated readership themselves (unlike the wealthy elites who publish them), but there’s nothing that quite keeps societal power imbalances in place like encouraging people to feel contempt for the even less well off. The Herald Sun’s approach here is just rich people telling mostly working- and lower-middle-class people to hate even poorer people while distracting them from the actual terrible things being done by other rich people, essentially.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm

The Hun also has a weird obsession with journalists from other newspapers and TV. Attacking rival journos isn't really journalism.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am

Do you honestly expect anything different from a tabloid owned by the Dirty Digger? He's built an empire that thrives on click bait headlines and salcious content.

I wouldn't wrap my fish and chips in that rag.

Not withstanding your defence of the broader somewhat sane Carringbush supporters, you still have a choice. Simply obtain information from any number of sources that are based on well researched articles based on solid editorial direction.
But I suspect you already know that.

As for the peanut banned for 5 years, good riddance and I hope he gets the help he needs.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Wise words scooby and Laurie, I agree. It just irks me that the media can get away with what is a legal news story with "bogan Collingwood fan" when if it was another club or a member of the public who committed the assault, they would not be described in the headline as a bogan but "football fan" or "Cranbourne man." etc. This was the usual smear job on our great club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: