Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lady Luck ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
princem007 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:48 pm
Post subject: Lady Luck ?Reply with quote

Is there such a thing ?

I can't remember us having a good run with injuries since Bucks took over.

Every week there's more injuries in the AFL or VFL , geez Im too scared to even turn on the phone in fear there's another injury notification.

So I did some research. Who is Lady Luck and why has she gone missing from Collingwood?

Lady Luck is a westernized expression of the Roman goddess
of luck, Fortuna ( Fortuna is nearly identical to the Greek goddess Tyche.) Fortuna was the goddess of (good or bad) fortune and luck (good or bad) in Roman religion. Fortune's decisions in whether to provide good or bad luck in any given situation was a casting of lots (i.e. a gamble. please note no reference to Stevo here )

She might bring good or bad luck, who knows except the lot in her hand where it will land? Fortune was not perceived by the Romans as literally blind (for she must read the lot), her blindness was a metaphor... she herself did not know what fate she would make. Her predictions were built on whims. Yet in sculptures she sometimes was presented as blind or with a blindfold... as exemplified in contemporary depictions of Lady Justice.

Thus, the terminology "Lady Luck" refers primarily to the concept of not having certainty in a particular outcome, for Lady Luck (i.e. Fortuna) has already picked up another lot to be cast!

So what I figure Lady Luck has no control over what fate she precedes.

In other words she can bring good or bad luck.

She has no control over outcomes or results of games.

In our case she has been bringing lots of bad luck so I think we are now due for our share of good luck from Fortuna.

So yes, we have had Lady Luck , we just havent seen a good side of her. Yet !!

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the really frightening news mate.

Last year WAS our lucky year!

Normal programming has been resumed at Collingwood.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 pm

shawthing wrote:
Here's the really frightening news mate.

Last year WAS our lucky year!

Normal programming has been resumed at Collingwood.

Not sure about this.
Can you really be lucky for a whole season?
But i understand your reasoning. Right now, how we are playing, and the crippling injury list, does nothing more but resuscitate the nightmarish visions of pre 2018. Ever since the bye, even before the full injury crisis engulfed us, we were playing in a way that did not resemble anything seen in 2018, but very much what we saw prior to that.The injury crisis really has been a constant, regardless of year.
It seems to me that the fundamental issue is the injury crisis. The fact that, year after year, it is the same phenonomen for us, but for other clubs it is only a rare climatic event. For us it occurs predictably; for others it occurs unpredictably. Injuries can take on a psychological form. Last year, the luck (if that is the word) was that we could channel this into a heroic, do or die, nothing to lose, mindset. Losing the Premiership on that basis has totally undermined the credibility of that perspective, and so we will not be able to resurrect ourselves in that manner. This time, it will actually require injured players to return and for us to actually win a couple of games to give material confidence. Is this possible in the time frame left?? Who knows. But the odds are stacked against us.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:44 am

i wonder if Bucks trains people too hard? His own career was ended early through overwork.....
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:46 pm

E wrote:
i wonder if Bucks trains people too hard? His own career was ended early through overwork.....

Def worth considering. In an internal review that could be looked at, eg interviewing assistants who had worked at other clubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: