Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Swimming World Championships 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 am
Post subject: Swimming World Championships 2019Reply with quote

Ariarne Titmus won gold, beating Katie Ledecky in the 400m free at the World Champs. Ledecky was previously undefeated in major competitions at this distance (or longer), in a career going back to the London Olympics, and is the reigning Olympic champion and world record holder.

https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1152907298412646405
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your opinion on Mack Horton, K?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Jezza, I assume you mean Mack's anti-drug activism, not his swimming, right?

I guess I could give my opinions on both. Wink
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 pm

With regard to his anti-drug activism Wink
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Jezza, I could easily write a huge essay on the topic, so I'll wait for when I have time at least to write a longer post, if not a huge essay.

Meanwhile, Duncan Scott (who, pleasingly, is indeed a Scott but, less pleasingly for some, is not of course representing Scotland here) has joined the protest ranks.

Some pics of Horton previously and Scott in news just breaking:

https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1152921271778316288

https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1153632492311785474
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 pm

And an update on superstar Katie Ledecky: she's been ill and has withdrawn from her next two events.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/22/katie-ledecky-swimming/
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 am

Ariarne Titmus collected silver in the 200m free, behind Federica Pellegrini but ahead of Sarah Sjoestroem. A number of rivals withdrew from the event with illness or to manage their programs.

In the men's 800m, Mack Horton's training partner and friend, Gregorio Paltrinieri, took gold (Mack failed to make the final), and the possibility of further protests in the Sun Yang saga was avoided, as he finished a distant sixth place.

But more interesting was the mixed 4x100 medley. (There will also be a mixed 4x100 free later in the program). Australia won gold, ahead of USA & GB. Now, this really is interesting. From the teams, it looks like the countries are free to choose which of the two strokes are swum by men and which of the two are swum by women. Based on the talents of their squads, Australia, USA & GB all made different choices. And there are more different combinations among the non-medal countries.

Australia had the advantage of being able to choose the natural ordering (which you'd choose if your men and women had identical standings in their own competitions for all four strokes): Mitch Larkin starting with the backstroke, followed by Matthew Wilson in the breaststroke, followed by Emma McKeon in the butterfly, followed by Cate Campbell in the free.

And the biggest news of the day was Hungarian teenager Kristof Milak smashing the world record of Michael Phelps in the 200m butterfly.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:08 am

In the 100m free, American Caeleb Dressel beat Olympic champ Kyle Chalmers (son of Brett) by 0.12s. Kyle's time of 47.08s isn't bad, though -- it's a PB.

Full race: https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1154353430753943553

Australia's women's 4x200m free relay team won gold in a new world record of 7:41.50. The swimmers in the final were Ariarne Titmus, Madison Wilson, Brianna Throssell, and Emma McKeon. Silver went to the US, in a time also under the old world record.

Highlights: https://twitter.com/fina1908/status/1154391699134849024

The controversy will not go away, as outspoken American Lilly King was DQed in the 200m breaststroke. I have not yet viewed the video of her alleged one-handed touch.

(Photo: Mark Schiefelbein)
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 am

Australia's men's 4x200m free relay team won gold in 7:00.85 (Clyde Lewis 1:45.58; Kyle Chalmers 1:45.37; Alex Graham 1:45.05; Mack Horton 1:44.85).

Trivia: Clyde is named after a fictional orangutan.

On yesterday's Lilly King DQ story, she's now quoted as saying: “They made the right call. When you saw it in super slo-mo and super zoom, I definitely did it.”

NBC tells us: 'Some place both hands flat on the wall. King describes her technique as unorthodox.

She staggers her hands, with her right touching flat above the water and her left poking the wall with a finger. She uses her flat hand to push away. On-deck judges observe each lane to ensure swimmers touch the wall simultaneously.'

And the biggest news of the day was American Caeleb Dressel smashing the world record of Michael Phelps in the 100m butterfly.

Full race: https://twitter.com/fina1908/status/1154723454232465411

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-27/australian-swimmer-shayna-jack-reportedly-fails-doping-test/11353638
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 am

In the women's 800m free, American Katie Ledecky took gold. Ariarne Titmus took bronze.

The US won gold in the mixed 4x100m free relay in a world record of 3:19.40. This is less amazing than other world records, because this is a newish event, so the record will be broken frequently for a while yet. Australia won silver, a creditable 0.57s behind. Unlike the mixed medley relay, there aren't lots of different combinations to consider, and both the US and Australia went with the natural order: fastest man first, passing to second-fast man, passing to second-fastest woman, passing to fastest woman to finish. That of course meant that Caeleb Dressel and Kyle Chalmers had another head-to-head battle. It was very similar to their individual 100m battle: Dressel clocked 47.34s, Chalmers 47.37s.

That was one of three gold medals within a couple of hours for Dressel; he also won the 50m free and the 100m butterfly, in a time a bit slower than his semifinal world record.

(Photo: Patrick B. Kraemer)
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:50 am

In the women's 4x100m medley relay, Australia took silver behind the US.

I think that means the only relay in which Australia did not finish in the medals was the men's 4x100m medley relay, where, thanks to Adam Peaty's breastroke leg and a sizzling final leg by Scott Duncan Scott (see above), GB beat the US to take gold. (A week ago now, Australia took gold in the women's 4x100m free relay, represented by Bronte Campbell, Brianna Throssell, Emma McKeon and Cate Campbell, and bronze in the men's 4x100m free relay, represented by Cam McEvoy, Clyde Lewis, Alexander Graham and Kyle Chalmers.)

In the women's 50m free, Cate Campbell took bronze.

In the men's 1500m free, where Australia has so much history, Jack McLaughlin was only 16th in the heats, and in the final Mack's friend, Greg Paltrinieri of Italy, could only manage bronze. It could be a changing of the guard in that event.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm

More on Scott Duncan Scott's leg in the men’s 4x100m medley relay:

'Duncan Scott split 46.14 ...

Only Jason Lezak has ever gone quicker with his 46.06 split during the men’s 4x100m freestyle relay at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Scott said: “I think when you get to this level, times are not relevant and it’s just down to racing at the end of the day. I got put in a great position, I was diving right in on Adrian’s hip. ...

I took over in a great position and how fortunate we were to be next to the Americans as well who were breaking the race.

“Moved over and got a nice big wave down the first 50..."

[Ryan Murphy] said: “I had a pretty embarrassing performance. I was the first guy in the water and it kind of put us in a hole from the beginning.

“I thought Andrew did well, Caeleb did well, Nathan did really well. We just didn’t put them in the right spot. When we put him in a position where he is half a body length ahead and Duncan Scott can draft off of him for 75, that’s not the position we need to be in. I need to be better to get us out in the lead so that doesn’t happen at the Olympics.” '

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/duncan-scott-splits-46-1-to-overhaul-adrian-as-great-britain-take-gold-in-4x100-medley-relay-russia-third/
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:09 pm

2008 Beijing Olympics Men’s 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Final:

https://vimeo.com/7735706

Alain Bernard (France) & Jason Lezak (USA) enter the water for the final leg around 4:26 of this video.

Look at their lane positions. You'd think if Bernard had his time over again he'd try to hug the opposite lane rope. Lezak is right up on the lane rope on Bernard's side.

N. Zaccardi:

'Lezak remembered the relay’s first three legs unfold, standing behind the starting block with Bernard one lane over, anchoring for the French.

“Emotions going all over the place,” Lezak said. “I was so anxious to try to catch [Bernard] I actually thought in my head that I left [the starting block] early and I would get DQed. I believe my reaction time was .03, which was really close. I’m sure all the coaches were freaking out.”

It was actually .04, second-best reaction of the 24 relay exchanges among the eight nations. Lezak avoided disqualification by eight hundredths of a second.

“Swimming down the first length [of the pool], trying to get all my thoughts out of my head,” Lezak continued. “As I did that, Bernard was on my left, and I breathed to my right. Never once did I look over to see where he was. I got to the 50, flipped and pushed off, and had another thought. Oh no, this guy increased his lead on me.”

The French lead was .82. Bernard, the world-record holder going into the race, had nearly a body-length advantage on Lezak with 50 meters left.

“Starting the second 50, looking at him every single stroke I took, I see myself getting a little closer, little by little, then to his hip,” Lezak said. “I felt like I was there for a pretty long time. With 15 meters left, I felt an extra surge of adrenalin, being able to maintain my speed all the way into the wall. His stroke deteriorated, fell apart.”

Bernard swam well. His 46.73 split was third-fastest of the field, but he helped allow Lezak to swim into history.

The American clocked 46.06, the fastest split of all time by a whopping .57 of a second. He was boosted by drafting off Bernard, who inexplicably swam in the far left of his lane, right next to Lezak.'

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/08/09/jason-lezak-beijing-olympic-relay-swimming/
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 pm

The other relevant info is that Lezak in that race must have been wearing the Speedo LZR Racer.

Space Age Swimsuit Reduces Drag, Breaks Records

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/ch_4.html

"In both high-speed flight and swimming, says Wilkinson, a thin boundary layer of reduced velocity fluid surrounds the moving body; this layer is about 2 centimeters thick for a swimmer.

A 2004 computational fluid dynamics study conducted by Speedo’s Aqualab research and development unit determined that the viscous drag on a swimmer is about 25 percent of the total retarding force.

The manufacturer says the fabric, which Speedo calls LZR Pulse, is not only efficient at reducing drag, but it also repels water and is extremely lightweight. Speedo tested about 100 materials and material coatings before settling on LZR Pulse. ...

NASA and Speedo performed tests on traditionally sewn seams, ultrasonically welded seams, and the fabric alone, which gave Speedo a baseline for reducing drag caused by seams and helped them identify problem areas. NASA wind tunnel results helped Speedo “create a bonding system that eliminates seams and reduces drag,” according to Isaac. The Speedo LZR Racer is the first fully bonded, full-body swimsuit with ultrasonically welded seams. Instead of sewing overlapping pieces of fabric together, Speedo actually fused the edges ultrasonically, reducing drag by 6 percent. “The ultrasonically welded seams have just slightly more drag than the fabric alone,” Isaac explains. NASA results also showed that a low-profile zipper ultrasonically bonded (not sewn) into the fabric and hidden inside the suit generated 8 percent less drag in wind tunnel tests than a standard zipper. ...

The LZR Racer reduces skin friction drag 24 percent more than the Fastskin, the previous Speedo racing suit fabric; and according to the manufacturer, the LZR Racer uses a Hydro Form Compression System to grip the body like a corset. Speedo experts say this compression helps the swimmers maintain the best form possible and enables them to swim longer and faster since they are using less energy to maintain form. The compression alone improves efficiency up to 5 percent, according to the manufacturer."

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/home/tech_record_breaking.html

"Within a year of its release in early 2008, the LZR Racer achieved worldwide fame as the most successful swimsuit ever made. Within a month, athletes wearing the suit broke 13 world records. And at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, 98 percent of medal-winners in swimming competitions won while wearing an LZR Racer. Out of the 25 world records broken at that Olympics, 23 were accomplished by swimmers wearing the suit.

When nearly 20 more world records fell later that year at another international competition, the Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA)—the international governing body of aquatic sports recognized by the International Olympic Committee—decided that the suit conferred too much of an advantage and changed its regulations regarding swimsuits so that the LZR Racer could not be worn in future competitions."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: