Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies whack West Coast. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattmc33 wrote:
Nathan alluded to this in the press conference - sometimes during a season there are those games that define who you really are as a club and what your aspirations should be in that year. I remember in 2010 when we beat Geelong and St Kilda late in the minor rounds - two clubs that had owned the Pies for years - and thinking wow, this team is finally a legit premiership contender and anything less than a GF now would be a disappointment. Last night felt very similar to that. Different circumstances for sure, but no less significant.

To beat another team who had owned Collingwood for two years, who physically had dominated the Pies and just looked bigger, stronger and more polished at crucial times in the last four games - to beat that team despite all the injuries, all the off-field stuff this club has endured was just a remarkable effort. And what’s even more exciting is this team still has a ton of upside, especially offensively. Last night wasn’t about polish and skill. It was about effort, grit and determination. The skills will come - we all know the talent is there. It’s about that want, that desire, and it was there in spades last night.

And BTW, just quietly, that might have been Nathan’s best win as a coach. Even more so than the Richmond massacre last year. To do that in an environment like Perth, with everything against you, low on confidence, down 16 in the last, only to keep fighting and just find a way to get the job done - I think Nathan deserves enormous credit for inspiring those boys. I’ve said it before - his growth over the last couple of years has been exceptional.

You made me teary! Great post

Agree re Crocker it was a test in fire, he’s not done yet

The sneaky tactics? Maybe they are referring to the shit sprayed on the grass! I’d be asking the question re Moore’s hamstring. Just like the teams who water the turf it’s cheating

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Opposite of the Grand Final, West Coast tried to hold onto a lead, no goal for over 50 minutes?

Good to steal that, probably should have won by a lot more given the extra scoring shots, but 4 very unexpected points in the bank and Cox and Mihocek back in form!

Grundy got smashed and we win, maybe dominant ruckman are overrated?

Huh?? who smashed him? He was pretty much best on ground.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Just watching the last bit of last quarter and the big con is in

Sidey on the wing indicates he is having a shot so Wet Toast flood back

Then Sidey does the old wipe time off the clock trick and chips back ward

Sorry bout that Wet Toast. Would you believe i tricked ya

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes I noticed that at the time very smart move!!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm still floating on air after that win for the ages last night. What a team, what a coach!

I disagree however, with the generous comments about Crocker. Sure, he battles hard and always gives his all. That has never been in doubt. However, I can't ever recall him playing a good senior game for us....ever. Unfortunately, despite his great character, I don't believe he is good enough a footballer to play at the senior level. It's a shame, but he squandered every single opportunity he had last night. He laid one very good tackle on McGovern in the final quarter and managed to kick an important point, but points are what he always kicks, never goals. I feel bad, saying these things about the kid, as he seems to have enormous character and obviously is well liked around the club. Unfortunately, that's not enough. I would rather Goldsack in our forward line, or even Wills.

Anyway, none of this matters. We won and I am supremely confident that once we get Adams and Howe back, we can begin building for a major assault on the flag. Go Pies!
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:03 pm

I haven't watched all the game yet as I was out last night so just caught the last quarter once I got home.
Fair to say, if we play like that every week (regardless of the final score line) I think the majority of us would be happy.
This is why I wasn't upset as much as others at last years GF loss, I know we put in a solid effort bar the last 2 or so mins & I can't scold them for that.
It's when they put in lazy, inept performances we all crack the shits with.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:09 pm

After watching the replay I think there is another positive to take from the game

And that positive was Jamie Elliot

He had a night of almosts... so many times it didn’t quite bounce right for him or he got his hands to the ball but couldn’t quite hold it. That huge leap in the last qtr would of been a mark for the ages.... once again got his hands on it but didn’t stick it

As he gets his touch back after his long layoff he could well be as big a game breaker as the De Godfather

Things are looking up people!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:09 pm

For what remains of H & A games we can build on this game and thank god when the time comes if it’s us against some one in GF we know what’s required to tough it out

The smarts of Sidey ,the silk of Pendles and the toughness of several who showed their tough last nite will be needed from today till 5.30 pm GF day

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Redcraze wrote:
After that wonderful display I want to particularly acknowledge the contribution of Crocker. He didn't have the best of nights but did you see him in those last few minutes? He kept trying and trying, not allowing himself to be discouraged by adversity. I have enormous respect for that kind of attitude in that kind of situation.

Yes, he was outclassed but he did kick the point that put us in front for the last time. He persisted, never dropped his head and, right at the end, he helped to keep the ball in our forward line and run the clock out. None of us were thrilled with his game but his determination and willingness to put his body on the line are to be applauded. The opposition could not play through him, they had to go around him. I don't really get why people want to bag the efforts of the marginal players like Ben who only have a chance because there are so many injuries. He's not "best 22" and he may not even be "best 30" - you can't expect a player like him to come in and kick 10 goals and take the Brownlow votes. It is, however, informative, that there are plenty of better players on our list who are not as match-fit as him or who do not hit the contest as hard. He's doing everything he can to give himself a chance to play senior footy and trying his hardest when he's out there.

People were whining about our lack of depth when we lost last week. I would have thought that the very definition of depth is being able to go the West against last year's premier, with the opposition close to full strength (and, in any event, fielding a better team than the one that beat us in the last Grand Final), with many of our best players missing through injury or stupidity and at least half a dozen guys in the team that we would really rather have running around in the VFL (whether because of talent or fitness) in the side - and WIN.

Excellent post P4S.

It continually bemuses how the same game day thread posters feel the constant need to reinforce their favourite whipping boys failings. Heaven forbid if they could ever allow themselves to find a positive in that same players performance.
Guaranteed Bucks didn’t select Crocker because he needed a new avenue to goal or to rack up 30 on the wing. He would be asked to play his role, something like draw his opponent away from contests, create space behind him, provide an extra around the contest, maybe a run with role, guard space, whatever.
I couldn’t tell you if Bucks was happy with performance or not but I do know Crocker was one of the 22 who participated in one our greatest come from behind years in many years. That’s enough for me.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm

For mine ( and like many others ) I thought Miochek was easily best on the ground. His four goals were match winning but more importantly, he completely threw out the eagles defence by making McGovern accountable.
Checkers set the tone early with a couple string marks and straight kicking for goal. Our players up the ground looked for him and he became our avenue to goal, so McGovern simply couldn’t drop off him.
What Miochek did differently was to lead to dangerous spaces and back himself, rather than lead to dead spots and hope that McGovern would go with him ( which he didn’t of course )
I have said it for a while that decoy forwards don’t work on McGovern because he knows he can drop off and his opponent won’t get used.
The trick is to put a half decent player on him and then attack the goals through that player. McGovern is then obliged to go with him and more than likely blowing up from responding to repeat leads.

HopefullyCheckers, who has a great work rate, has finally unlocked the secret to playing on McGovern ( as long as our midfield honour his leads )
And kicking straight first up and feeling good about yourself helps to set the tone too.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Just got my first chance to watch the game replay, amazing effort by the boys great turn around GO PIES
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Did anyone notice camera shot from rooms and Moore walking—I thought he’d just having a loo break
Two separate shots and he appears to walk like the uninjured but they is saying slight

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Worth making a few observations about this win. Lost Moore in Q1 playing against one of the best tall forward set ups going around(if not the best). Basically leaning on Roughead with WE Hoskin Elliot out of position. Playing Quanor and Noble plus Crocker, basically learners plates on. Cox still making mistakes but getting better inch by inch. Sier yet to gel. Elliot after a long lay off. Adams,Howe, Langdon and Scharenberg to return. There is plenty of headroom. The important thing is the belief, the commitment, the work and the boost to confidence.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
HopefullyCheckers, who has a great work rate, has finally unlocked the secret to playing on McGovern ( as long as our midfield honour his leads )
And kicking straight first up and feeling good about yourself helps to set the tone too.

I think part of dismantling McGovern was stopping the chop outs by Hurn. They are a deadly rebounding combo.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Really ticked off with our loss to the Dockers, we played soo poorly that day.

They have tappered off on their own form now, and probably wont play finals.

Costly loss to us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: