Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies whack West Coast. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing JDG and Crisp and Sier onto the ball at times gave us the hard nuts at the coal face.
A few of us have been begging the club to get some big strong bods
into the middle.
This allows guys like Sidey and Phillips tp play wide outside.
Although Sier had a relative quiet game he is still the man for the inside mid.
Also Pendles seemed to play less in the middle and was used more as a defensive mid.
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

Apparently, the West Australian is leading with a story about some sneaky Collingwood tactic, is there any one over there who subscribes to the online edition who can report what they are saying? Just more resentment from the Boo factory?
Redcraze Virgo

After that wonderful display I want to particularly acknowledge the contribution of Crocker. He didn't have the best of nights but did you see him in those last few minutes? He kept trying and trying, not allowing himself to be discouraged by adversity. I have enormous respect for that kind of attitude in that kind of situation.
BazBoy 

As was the lone tall in back Roughead who shut another jib down in Kennedy

I totally love this guys game

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 am

Great post Redcraze. Crocker looked below the required standard last night in ability but his effort was right up there. He would have known he wasn't impacting as he would like yet didn't spit the dummy and just kept having a crack.
Well said mate..

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:54 am

Redcraze wrote:
After that wonderful display I want to particularly acknowledge the contribution of Crocker. He didn't have the best of nights but did you see him in those last few minutes? He kept trying and trying, not allowing himself to be discouraged by adversity. I have enormous respect for that kind of attitude in that kind of situation.

Yes, he was outclassed but he did kick the point that put us in front for the last time. He persisted, never dropped his head and, right at the end, he helped to keep the ball in our forward line and run the clock out. None of us were thrilled with his game but his determination and willingness to put his body on the line are to be applauded. The opposition could not play through him, they had to go around him. I don't really get why people want to bag the efforts of the marginal players like Ben who only have a chance because there are so many injuries. He's not "best 22" and he may not even be "best 30" - you can't expect a player like him to come in and kick 10 goals and take the Brownlow votes. It is, however, informative, that there are plenty of better players on our list who are not as match-fit as him or who do not hit the contest as hard. He's doing everything he can to give himself a chance to play senior footy and trying his hardest when he's out there.

People were whining about our lack of depth when we lost last week. I would have thought that the very definition of depth is being able to go the West against last year's premier, with the opposition close to full strength (and, in any event, fielding a better team than the one that beat us in the last Grand Final), with many of our best players missing through injury or stupidity and at least half a dozen guys in the team that we would really rather have running around in the VFL (whether because of talent or fitness) in the side - and WIN.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

BazBoy wrote:
As was the lone tall in back Roughead who shut another jib down in Kennedy

I totally love this guys game

Roughead has certainly been excellent for us this year. Plainly, with no other tall back available once Moore went off, we could not have beaten West Coast without him.

That said, Kennedy was execrable - that is a good thing because, as a 31-year old KPF, there is every possibility he has finally hit the wall and is about to go the way of so many others - the slippery slope at the back end of the marking forward's career is a steep one. It will be good if has reached the end because, if he has, they cannot win the flag.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:06 am

It really was folly to give Crocker his first taste of AFL senior football in a year vs the premiers in their own paddock. The step up front VFL to AFL is ridiculous, at the best of times, but vs WCE in Perth? Like throwing him to the wolves. The pace of the game and the lack of time and space to dispose of the ball was telling, but to not get another crack now that he’s experienced the pace again would be a bit of a kick in the guts for him. I’m no Crocker sympathiser, but that would be harsh. Having said that, we’re 100% when Crocker plays.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:32 am

The path to a finals series let alone GF is littered with hardships and kicks in guts
Did not Goldy get the nod in 2010 over someone?? Can’t recall

It’s about best for team and players must accept that as part of footy

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:47 am

^ Goldy got picked in the 2010 replay because the guy he replaced had 10 times his talent and half his hardness at the contest.
mattmc33 Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 am

Nathan alluded to this in the press conference - sometimes during a season there are those games that define who you really are as a club and what your aspirations should be in that year. I remember in 2010 when we beat Geelong and St Kilda late in the minor rounds - two clubs that had owned the Pies for years - and thinking wow, this team is finally a legit premiership contender and anything less than a GF now would be a disappointment. Last night felt very similar to that. Different circumstances for sure, but no less significant.

To beat another team who had owned Collingwood for two years, who physically had dominated the Pies and just looked bigger, stronger and more polished at crucial times in the last four games - to beat that team despite all the injuries, all the off-field stuff this club has endured was just a remarkable effort. And what’s even more exciting is this team still has a ton of upside, especially offensively. Last night wasn’t about polish and skill. It was about effort, grit and determination. The skills will come - we all know the talent is there. It’s about that want, that desire, and it was there in spades last night.

And BTW, just quietly, that might have been Nathan’s best win as a coach. Even more so than the Richmond massacre last year. To do that in an environment like Perth, with everything against you, low on confidence, down 16 in the last, only to keep fighting and just find a way to get the job done - I think Nathan deserves enormous credit for inspiring those boys. I’ve said it before - his growth over the last couple of years has been exceptional.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm

I was wrong: tipped Pies to win by 5 points.
The boys did better than that Smile One point victory is the sweetest of all.
Go Pies!

Last edited by MagpiesTheGreat on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm

just like the loss last week.... It's only one game.... Doesn't mean much if they don't back it up next week...
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
It really was folly to give Crocker his first taste of AFL senior football in a year vs the premiers in their own paddock. The step up front VFL to AFL is ridiculous, at the best of times, but vs WCE in Perth? Like throwing him to the wolves. The pace of the game and the lack of time and space to dispose of the ball was telling, but to not get another crack now that he’s experienced the pace again would be a bit of a kick in the guts for him. I’m no Crocker sympathiser, but that would be harsh. Having said that, we’re 100% when Crocker plays.

Yes, I think he should get another chance. But with only one definite out for next week, and Adams and Howe a high chance to return there will have to be some tough calls made.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:12 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
just like the loss last week.... It's only one game.... Doesn't mean much if they don't back it up next week...

True...but it shows we're still a genuine contender and not just going to slip away into oblivion. It was a crucial win for reigniting our season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14   

Jump to: