Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

War with Iran?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^It's surreal to think the fist-waving mob hailed Trump as somehow different from George W. And yet, they've voted for much the same unfit tool again.

The similarities between George W. and Trump make for quite a list: the deficit-bulging tax cuts for the very wealthy; the obsession with the Axis of Evil (and disgraceful effort to steal assets while they're at it); the vain glorying in market highs; the scuppering of serious healthcare; the kowtowing before idiots with guns; the cosying up to Saudi Arabia and extremist far-right Israel; the buttressing of fundamentalist religion and winding back of women's rights; the wanton disregard for the environment and ignorance of science; the feverish appointment of cronies and clueless fools; the conflicts of interest and contracts for the boys; the soothing nonsense to the imaginary heartland about a revival of industries that are already dead; and more.

Add to that the novel Trump contributions including the onlining of China hatred; the heightening of ugly nationalism; the acceleration of the loss of prestige; Twitter cringe and embarrassment; arbitrary economic interference and trade war; heightened social instability and divide; outright grift; unapologetic nepotism; general sleaze and creepiness; dizzying staff turnover; open attacks on the media; the incitement of violence; an unheard of anti-democratic deal with a single media outlet in exchange for favourable coverage; unprecedented abuse of the executive, trampling custom; impeachment for abuse of power; abandonment of the Kurds; and abuse and bullying of allies and neighbours.

You'd think it would be hard to dig that deep so soon after the horror that was George W., but the very same blind fist wavers have done just that. I wonder if Republicans and their billionaire-mob alliance are already grooming someone creepier even more unfit to follow Trump?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 am

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/01/how-to-avoid-swallowing-war-propaganda
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:29 am

Just in case your faith in the Chosen One is wavering...

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/11/01/15/trump-prayer-final.jpeg

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 am

Come to think of it, I'd like to lay my hands on him myself. Razz
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 pm

As always on the subject of US aggression, right-wing TV commentator Tucker Carlson more or less nails it – certainly more so than the wishy-washy responses from many in the centrist, pro-Democrat media:

https://youtu.be/WlcsuJtXYkM

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm

David wrote:
Come to think of it, I'd like to lay my hands on him myself. Razz

I never took you as a hugger.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Trump is a notorious germaphobe, he might not appreciate David's hugs.

Not sure what's surprising about my stance, the guy's a shitbag but probably not worth fighting a war over for either the USA or particularly Iran.

If this precipitates the US getting kicked out of Iraq then I'm even more for it. They should leave the Middle East and stop fighting Saudi and Israel's wars for them.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Tucker nails it as usual.

It's also worth listening to Jimmy Dore. He's a Democrat but talks sense on foreign policy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:10 pm

Wokko wrote:
Trump is a notorious germaphobe, he might not appreciate David's hugs.

Not sure what's surprising about my stance, the guy's a shitbag but probably not worth fighting a war over for either the USA or particularly Iran.

If this precipitates the US getting kicked out of Iraq then I'm even more for it. They should leave the Middle East and stop fighting Saudi and Israel's wars for them.

Phuc the Saudis, they can look after themselves but don't abandon Israel.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:01 pm

Israel kicked the shit out of the entire Arab world twice, I think they're fine to stand on their own two feet. More American blood doesn't need to be shed for Israel's benefit. I was happy that Trump avoided Syria, I hope he can avoid Iran too.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:27 pm

^Israel still needs support and Jews still need a safe homeland, even though Israel is relatively powerful. The warmongering far right, including Netanyahu, simply needs to be ignored and its worst instincts contained for the good of the average Israeli.

Of course, this also applies to the Kurds and Palestinians.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Wokko wrote:

But that’s literally what they’re doing at this very moment. If they weren’t fighting the Saudis’ battles Trump wouldn’t have vetoed the bill to leave Yemen. And Suleimani’s assassination was apparently done in concert with Mossad. So Trump’s approach couldn’t be more obvious here; he has no interest in being a peacebroker or neutral observer in the Middle East, and if being kicked out of Iraq was part of the plan then they would have left long ago. Let’s face it, Trump’s isolationist tendencies are flaky at best.

(By the way, I was thinking more of the "just wait until I lay my hands on him" sense of the phrase. But fine, whatever, I’ll be his Chris Christie. Laughing)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 pm

The other military leader kiiled when Soleimani went to meet his maker: who was Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis?

"...The US airstrike that killed Iranian general Qasem Soleimani also killed another key figure in Iran’s role in the Middle East: Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who had travelled to the Baghdad International Airport to meet Soleimani. Deputy head of the Popular Mobilization Units, a mostly Shi’ite group of pro-Iranian paramilitaries in Iraq, Muhandis was an important key to Iran’s penetration of Iraq, a figure like Hassan Nasrallah is to Lebanon. His death has gone less noticed because it was overshadowed by Soleimani, but it is no less important...."

"...Muhandis was important because for years he has helped build up not only his own armed militia, Kataib Hezbollah, but also transform the PMU into an official force that can project power throughout Iraq and into Syria. The PMU is more than Hezbollah, it is a massive organization of 100,000 men under arms with access to another 200,000 men who have served in is ranks...".

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Who-was-Abu-Mahdi-al-Muhandis-killed-in-US-airstrike-with-Soleimani-613268

"...Muhandis is responsible for extensive violence against American interests. In the power vacuum that developed after the death of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein in 2006, Muhandis founded Kataib Hezbollah, an anti-U.S. insurgency movement responsible for numerous American casualties. The U.S. considered Muhandis and his insurgency to be "terrorist" groups...."

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/04/793618490/who-was-the-iraqi-commander-also-killed-in-baghdad-drone-strike

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

But that’s literally what they’re doing at this very moment. If they weren’t fighting the Saudis’ battles Trump wouldn’t have vetoed the bill to leave Yemen. And Suleimani’s assassination was apparently done in concert with Mossad. So Trump’s approach couldn’t be more obvious here; he has no interest in being a peacebroker or neutral observer in the Middle East, and if being kicked out of Iraq was part of the plan then they would have left long ago. Let’s face it, Trump’s isolationist tendencies are flaky at best.

Well put, David. The US-Saudi-Israel alliance is very much alive and well.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 pm

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/382-falcon-seeks-falconer-feat-briahna-joy-gray-1619

Will Menaker wrote:
I cannot stress how $$%^%%$ dangerous it is for [Democrats] to wedge open the door of $$%^%%$ nuance and reasonability even a crack [and] this idea of talking about "oh, we can all agree that Iran is an evil, monstrous country, and that this guy was the number one bad guy in the region." No. No. No. There is no nuance, there is no reasonable position on this ... It is simple: No. War. With. Iran. No escalation. No military response. This is unjust, this is unnecessary, this is pure madness and lunacy.

There is no middle ground on this, and it is so $$%^%%$ dangerous for the Democrats to do this. You want to talk about what’s going to swing the election to Trump? It’s going into a $$%^%%$ election where there’s war shit happening [and] dithering on it ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: