Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Phillips

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes or No?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 29 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 57

Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Phillips had a nightmare of a game last night vs Brisbane and ended the game with a hamstring which will make it tough for him to return this year.
Interesting that there were strong rumors that had him being traded at the end of last year. I think the club recognize his limitations as a footballer, i.e. kicking disposal being the top of those. However there have been times he has displayed good disposal and at his best was hitting the scoreboard but his miss last night was abysmal. Perhaps confidence is down which when matched with talent limitations is a recipe for disaster.
Phillips wasn't on his own with dumb and dumber handball decisions and / or execution that put the person being passed to under pressure. How many of Collingwood handballs and short pass kicks land at the person being aimed at feet or miss completely? Also there must have been at least 6 times passes went direct to the opposition last night. Crisp and both Brown's along with Tom Phillips were leading the stats in poor disposals.
I felt for Tom Phillips when I heard he had lost a grandparent during last week. It must be tough being stuck in a hub in Queensland away from family at such a time so maybe his focus wasn't where it should have been?

CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:05 pm

No more exuses for the Lad please.

The ground is a battlefield full of predators, and Phillips is the prey

-Should have been dropped after North game ( 9 disposals, no rebounds, no clearences, no 1%'s )

-Should have been dropped after the Freo game ( 14disp, 1 rebound, 1 clearence, no 1%'s )

I could go on all day, I'll stop it there for now but please note: This is not Josh Thomas applying pressure in the fwd line, this is a player who is in the side to get disposals. I would much rather Thomas get a run on the wing than Phillips, Thomas has high speed and goes in very hard yet people call for his head when he gets the same amount of disposals playing as a pressure fwd.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Never gets tagged either. Yesterday ran almost 10km for his 5 kicks. No excuses for him not to get the ball 25 times each week and become a consistent performer. Actually cancel that he is consistent......consistently shit.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:50 pm

CakeWalkin wrote:
I can't believe Phillips has managed to stay in our 22 for this long.

Should have been de-listed with Henry Schade and Jackson Ramsay when I first noticed his weaknesses

To be fair, it could also be argued that you didn’t notice his strengths when he finished seventh in last years best and fairest.
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
CakeWalkin wrote:
I can't believe Phillips has managed to stay in our 22 for this long.

Should have been de-listed with Henry Schade and Jackson Ramsay when I first noticed his weaknesses

To be fair, it could also be argued that you didn’t notice his strengths when he finished seventh in last years best and fairest.

To be fair, that award seems to go to the lucky players who don't get injured for most of the season, otherwise 7th would translate into more like 25th or 26th
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:31 pm

This is not a defence of Phillips but i think that particularly this season the shorter games have nullified his main attribute which is his endurance running.
The shorter games mean that burst running is the requirement which is not his strong point.
Even so, some of his on-on-one efforts have been well below what the coaches would be expecting.

CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:15 pm

I wonder if Essendon would be interested in straight swapping Saad for Phillips.

I'd much rather see Saad on the wing than Phillips, we could really use that speed in our side.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:24 pm

^Which is probably exactly why Essendon would keep Saad.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 am

this poll is as valid as the USA election now...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: