Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Assange arrested

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
What happened to his cat?

https://twitter.com/NeVa_DuNN502/status/644612477209190400/photo/1

hehehehehehehe!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

I was just asked why I was laughing!!!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:26 am

The Supreme Court has decided not to hear Assange's appeal, so his fate now rests with UK home secretary Priti Patel signing off on the order.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-15/wikileaks-julian-assange-denied-permission-to-appeal-extradition/100909860

The article above suggests that there may be further avenues even after this (The European Court of Human Rights has always seemed his best bet, although I'm not quite sure how they can have any British jurisdiction post-Brexit). Whatever transpires, this whole affair has been handled disgracefully by the UK courts from the beginning, and if I were a British citizen I would have no faith whatsoever left in my country's justice system and institutions.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm

David wrote:
The Supreme Court has decided not to hear Assange's appeal, so his fate now rests with UK home secretary Priti Patel signing off on the order.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-15/wikileaks-julian-assange-denied-permission-to-appeal-extradition/100909860

The article above suggests that there may be further avenues even after this (The European Court of Human Rights has always seemed his best bet, although I'm not quite sure how they can have any British jurisdiction post-Brexit). Whatever transpires, this whole affair has been handled disgracefully by the UK courts from the beginning, and if I were a British citizen I would have no faith whatsoever left in my country's justice system and institutions.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

as a dual citizen, i dont have faith in either! or the US or... well any really!

gees you got to wonder if he thinks spreading classified info was worth it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

It was certainly worth it for the rest of us; what he did was extraordinarily important, even if a lot of people don't appreciate it. But he made it clear from the beginning that he wasn't seeking to be made into a martyr for the cause, and it's a shame (in all senses of the word) that he has had to suffer so much for his work.

From his fiancee, Stella Moris, in the wake of this latest decision:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1503656497267580931

Stella Moris wrote:
Just this morning on our way to school, our four-year-old son asked me when daddy will come home. Julian's life is being treated as if it were expendable. He has been robbed of over a decade of liberty, and three years from his home and his young children who are being forced to grow up without their father. A system that allows this is a system that has lost its way.

Whether Julian is extradited or not, which is the same as saying whether he lives or dies, is being decided through a process of legal avoidance. Avoiding to hear arguments that challenge the UK courts' deference to unenforceable and caveated claims regarding his treatment made by the United States, the country that plotted to murder him. The country whose atrocities he brought into the public domain. Julian is the key witness, the principle indicter, and the cause of enormous embarrassment to successive US governments.

Julian was just doing his job, which was to publish the truth about wrongdoing. His loyalty is the same as that which all journalists should have: to the public. Not to the spy agencies of a foreign power. He published evidence that the country that is trying to extradite him committed war crimes and covered them up; that it committed gross violations that killed tens of thousands of innocent men, women and children; that it tortured and rendered; that it bombed children, had death squads, and murdered Reuters journalists in cold blood; that it bribed foreign officials and bullied less powerful countries into harming their own citizens, and that it also corrupted allied nations' judicial inquiries into US wrongdoing. For this, that country wants him in prison for 175 years.

Now the extradition will formally move to a political stage. Julian's fate now lies in the hands of Home Secretary Priti Patel. This is a political case and she can end it. It is in her hands to prove that the UK is better than all of this. Patel can end Britain's exposure to international ridicule because of Julian's incarceration. It takes political courage but that is what it needed to preserve an open society that protects publishers from foreign persecution.

The cruelty against Julian is corrupting. It corrupts our most cherished values and institutions. They will be extinguished and lost forever unless this travesty is brought to an end.

The fight for freedom will go on, until he's freed.

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 am

The journos seemed to have gotten more wound up about Tom Morris than they have about Julian Assange.

I'm surprised the ABC haven't gone harder with demanding justice for Assange. You'd think his case would be their bread and butter. But their coverage of it has been rather superficial.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:37 am

i wish they would let him out.

im fricken sick of the FREE ASSANGE logos!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am

I think Tom Morris is out, TP. Assange, on the other hand, doesn't look like he ever will be, so it's likely the slogans will be following you around for some time.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:14 pm

#whereishenow?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:55 pm

Still in the same place, TP. Four years in maximum-security prison without a conviction.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah that’s ridiculous unless he knows who killed elvis and jfk
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Yeah that’s ridiculous unless he knows who killed elvis and jfk

1. Fools Gold Loaf
2. A magic bullet

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:05 pm

^

nah, everyone knows it was the CIA. They also did John lennon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: