Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

May 18th Federal Election

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
I heard or read somewhere that Palmer is getting traction with the youth vote, presumably those who aren't greens and don't care for the traditional parties.

I still expect there to be a change of government but, if Labor loses the unloseable, I'll spit up a lung laughing and little bill will be shortenly unemployed.

I'm sure there's a cushy union job ready for him Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
if Labor loses the unloseable, I'll spit up a lung laughing and little bill will be shortenly unemployed.

I'd seriously be in a "leaving the country" mood if that happened. Not in the anti-Trump "we're all doomed" sense, but because it would be a huge reward for uselessness and just make me despair of anything ever getting better politically here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm

I don't think things would get better under Shorten, the only positive bit might be he would have the undivided support of his party but would still have multiple needy factions putting on pressure, including unions and greens. Everyone would be wanting their agenda prioritised and I don't rate Shorten as being able to deal with that.

Neither of them have a coherent vision for the future that is palatable or workable, my plan is to ride things out until I can get my super and go bush.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 pm

No question that Shorten's ALP leaves a lot to be desired – but they have, at least by the party's modern standards, stuck their neck out on a few economic issues that might have otherwise fallen by the wayside, and it's been remarked upon that this is the most left-leaning ALP election platform for a generation (paradoxically, given Shorten's own right-wing leanings). Expect a much more conservative Labor if they fail this time around, and if they have more success with that approach, well, what hope for any kind of progressive politics in this country? I'm not sure I can see it coming from the Greens, who seem to be teetering on the edge of destruction, and the rest is just tumbleweeds.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

^

The interesting thing is, I read that analysis and I can almost go with the thought that maybe a Shorten Labor government is what we need to break the cycle.

Bill defines mediocre, but maybe we need an actual left leaning government for a while to sort the wheat from the chaff. If he does good and gets in again, so be it, if people get a taste and don't like it, so be it.

Anything to break this current political paralysis.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm

I've said for years we need a proper left wing collapse to galvanise politics in this country; think Cain/Kerner level of **** up. At least then we might stop the moribund slide to the centre from both parties. We need a competition of ideas, not just slicing off votes ever closer to the centre to ensure election.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:30 pm

I don't recall cain/kerner as being overly left, just incompetent, particularly the Cain era. when he'd finished shitting in the nest they bought Kerner in to sit on the steaming pile he'd left behind. They set the stage for JFK to get a run, who I seriously dislike, but have to begrudgingly admit did some good stuff.

Shorten is seriously mediocre, whether he's Cain level incompetent remains to be seen, but there aint no JFK in the libs ranks that i'm aware of waiting in the wings for opportunity.

I guess we just roll with it.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:07 pm

If you are going to denigrate someone at least get their name right eh - it's Kirner!!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 am

Morrigu wrote:
If you are going to denigrate someone at least get their name right eh - it's Kirner!!

Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:15 am

Meanwhile One Nation just keeps on giving:

This is the NRA bloke caught on video

One Nation candidate Steve Dickson caught uttering sexual and racial slurs in new undercover footage

https://www.theage.com.au/federal-election-2019/one-nation-candidate-steve-dickson-caught-uttering-sexual-and-racial-slurs-in-new-undercover-footage-20190429-p51icr.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:25 am

stui magpie wrote:
I.... [b]They set the stage for JFK to get a run, who I seriously dislike, but have to begrudgingly admit did some good stuff.[/b.........I guess we just roll with it.

Yes he got himself voted out; The best thing he did for all Victorians especially if you needed health and an education.

I wholeheartedly agree he did do some good things.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 am

watt price tully wrote:
Meanwhile One Nation just keeps on giving:

This is the NRA bloke caught on video

One Nation candidate Steve Dickson caught uttering sexual and racial slurs in new undercover footage

https://www.theage.com.au/federal-election-2019/one-nation-candidate-steve-dickson-caught-uttering-sexual-and-racial-slurs-in-new-undercover-footage-20190429-p51icr.html

The question is, are the kind of people who vote One Nation likely to be put off by any of this? Recordings of sexist and racist remarks certainly didn’t hurt Trump’s vote.

I think the only reason people aren’t flocking to One Nation is because of how obviously inept they are.

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 am

Wokko wrote:
I've said for years we need a proper left wing collapse to galvanise politics in this country; think Cain/Kerner level of **** up. At least then we might stop the moribund slide to the centre from both parties. We need a competition of ideas, not just slicing off votes ever closer to the centre to ensure election.

It was actually Rob Jolly (the treasurer) who was inept. The real blame for that era was a bunch of crooked bankers. For an "inept" politician, John Cain did pretty well, and the voters kept voting him in. We can thank him for the improvements to the MCG. Lovely man, and a Collingwood supporter
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:34 pm

partypie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

It was actually Rob Jolly (the treasurer) who was inept. The real blame for that era was a bunch of crooked bankers. For an "inept" politician, John Cain did pretty well, and the voters kept voting him in. We can thank him for the improvements to the MCG. Lovely man, and a Collingwood supporter

Nail hit head. The people of Geelong were so forgiving of former Geelong player David Clarke and also of Bill Farrow; their counting made Peter Dutton look like a maths mastermind.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I.... [b]They set the stage for JFK to get a run, who I seriously dislike, but have to begrudgingly admit did some good stuff.[/b.........I guess we just roll with it.

Yes he got himself voted out; The best thing he did for all Victorians especially if you needed health and an education.

I wholeheartedly agree he did do some good things.

With 20-20 hindsight, closing PANCH and commissioning the Northern hospital at Epping, closing QV in the city and moving the services to Monash, the principle of putting heathcare where the people live rather than in the CBD was good. Some of the schools that were closed were replaced by new ones in areas that needed them. Commissioning the Western Ring Road and several other infrastructure projects.

Privatising utilities was good IMHO in theory but the practice hasn't worked out great. He did do some good stuff, shook up the status quo and despite being an arrogant cnut who I never voted for, I'm prepared to give him a pass.

Morrigu, I wasn't really denigrating Kerner, she was sat on a steaming pile from the Cain administration and did the best she could. She may well be a lovely person but that doesn't equate to being a good leader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 4 of 25   

Jump to: