Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vegan "Terrorists"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm
Post subject: Vegan "Terrorists"Reply with quote

OK, Terrorist is a strong term, but not entirely inappropriate in the circumstances.

These self righteous idiots show all the hallmarks of extremism, utterly convinced that their opinion is the right one and willing to resort to theft, damage to property and threats to achieve their aims.

What someone else eats is basically none of my business.
If someone wants to be vegan or vegetarian or whatever, good on them. That's a choice they're free to make.
If someone has concerns about the humane treatment of animals, whether being raised for food or otherwise, more power to them.
If someone has deep feelings that animals should be free and not eaten at all, we disagree but I respect your right to hold that opinion. (I do often wonder if these animal rights activists have pets and if so, how they rationalise that compared to Zoos and Aquariums, but I digress)

But, when you carry on like religious fanatics, damage property, steal property, threaten people and squawk at everyone who isn't listening that eating meat is evil, you just burned any good will you may have generated.

Far Kew you pretentious, obnoxious, self righteous twats. Hectoring and insulting people who don't share your views is no way to win an argument (and yes I do see the irony in what I just wrote)

This article by someone who went vegetarian as a child for ethical reasons probably sums it up better than I can.

Quote:
But by the time I was about 12 or 13, I had slowly come to realise what a pompous little twit I was — and just as importantly, how utterly futile my childish one-girl protest was when compared to the real, much larger issues that were plaguing the world — things like poverty, war, racial and religious division and general inequality. I began eating meat again and almost immediately became a more tolerable person.

At least I had the excuse of being a fanciful, ignorant kid. What excuse do the vegans at today’s protests — supposedly mature, fully-formed adults — who blocked people from getting to work in Melbourne’s CBD and attacked farms and abattoirs around Australia have for ramming their lifestyle choice down other people’s throats, and even more appallingly, destroying other people’s livelihoods while they do so?

Why can’t they simply eat — or not eat — whatever they choose and let other people do the same?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/shut-up-vegans-your-selfrighteous-terrorism-has-lost-us-for-good/news-story/1b131f642c268271ec84351a0b5461fe

These extremists effectively caused the closure of the Gippsland Goat Cafe, surely one of Swoops favourite haunts through theft, threats and intimidation. Maybe a battle won, but a negative move in the war of popular opinion.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Stui, they're not "terrorists" and it isn't "entirely appropriate in the circumstances".

They're probably misguided idiots but they aren't terrorists in any useful sense of that word.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Couple more links.

39 arrested. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/melbourne-vegan-protest-blocks-trams-traffic-causes-chaos/10980056.

Geez I hope they get more than a slap on the wrist.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/tougher-laws-for-animal-rights-activists-amid-plans-for-protest/10979204

Protesting the aquarium and scaring farm animals while yelling at the farmer that he should grow vegetables. Rolling Eyes

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, Stui, they're not "terrorists" and it isn't "entirely appropriate in the circumstances".

They're probably misguided idiots but they aren't terrorists in any useful sense of that word.

I said, "not entirely inappropriate in the circumstances". Subtle difference.

I didn't label them as such, the term is being freely used, hence my use of inverted commas.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm

I’m not so bothered by the CBD protest – all protests involve some form of disruption – but I agree that the other actions were a bit over-the-top and probably counterproductive. But animal-rights activists have never been known for restraint.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes, Stui - I apologise. I didn't mean to misquote you. So I guess we're left with the slightly clumsy No, they're not "terrorists" and it isn't "not entirely inappropriate in the circumstances."
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Hey Stui I had to take an ADO Razz

No I didn't - I don't agree with the way that they went about it all and I agree they are causing more damage than good that's for sure!!

I don't eat meat that's my choice for my own reasons - my husband does still occasionally but he has to cook it himself if he wants it - I can't handle or cook it - I just can't!

I'd love to be vegan, again for my own reasons, but it is not easy and I'm not that good of a cook to be able to improvise and have it still taste good - still I will keep trying because I want to - again just for my own reasons.

We need to focus on improving practices to ensure that cruelty is outlawed and if discovered severely punished - thinking that all animal slaughter will cease is totally unrealistic but we can certainly make it as humane as possible.

Live export makes me sick to my stomach - I'd happily join (and have ) a protest to stop this barbaric practice.

I don't like zoos as I don't believe they are "conserving" a species for any other reason than to have captive bred animals to show in their zoos which makes them money!! None of these animals especially the money spinners lions, rhino, elephant etc etc are ever returned to the wild. If humans want to "see" these animals then they should make more effort to conserve their habitats!!

As they say " you catch more bees with honey" - this lot are over the top even for me and will just alienate people and make them dig in and refuse to consider reasonable and humane measures which should be implemented or behavioural changes as they are being dictated to which is extremely unfortunate Crying or Very sad

PS I knew you would post this Wink Razz
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 pm

David wrote:
I’m not so bothered by the CBD protest – all protests involve some form of disruption – but I agree that the other actions were a bit over-the-top and probably counterproductive. But animal-rights activists have never been known for restraint.

The CBD protest didn't impact me at all, the biggest issue with that was they didn't clear it with Police first so it didn't just inconvenience commuters but Emergency Services who had no warning.

They're being trolled mercilessly on Twitter with people tweeting photos of their (meat) dinner, which is as counter productive as the protesters behaviour.

This is the website they want everyone to visit, to watch their propaganda film and become Vegan (which allegedly is a Native American word translating to "Bad Hunter" in English) Wink

Watch it if you want.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Hey Stui I had to take an ADO Razz

No I didn't - I don't agree with the way that they went about it all and I agree they are causing more damage than good that's for sure!!

I don't eat meat that's my choice for my own reasons - my husband does still occasionally but he has to cook it himself if he wants it - I can't handle or cook it - I just can't!

I'd love to be vegan, again for my own reasons, but it is not easy and I'm not that good of a cook to be able to improvise and have it still taste good - still I will keep trying because I want to - again just for my own reasons.

We need to focus on improving practices to ensure that cruelty is outlawed and if discovered severely punished - thinking that all animal slaughter will cease is totally unrealistic but we can certainly make it as humane as possible.

Live export makes me sick to my stomach - I'd happily join (and have ) a protest to stop this barbaric practice.

I don't like zoos as I don't believe they are "conserving" a species for any other reason than to have captive bred animals to show in their zoos which makes them money!! None of these animals especially the money spinners lions, rhino, elephant etc etc are ever returned to the wild. If humans want to "see" these animals then they should make more effort to conserve their habitats!!

As they say " you catch more bees with honey" - this lot are over the top even for me and will just alienate people and make them dig in and refuse to consider reasonable and humane measures which should be implemented or behavioural changes as they are being dictated to which is extremely unfortunate Crying or Very sad

PS I knew you would post this Wink Razz

I am nothing if not predictable I guess. Razz Wink

I know how you feel, and well said. I see your point about Zoo's and while some/several would fall into that category, I don't think all do. While the ideal would be to have endangered animals remain in the wild, sometimes that's not practical. Plus, if people get an appreciation of these animals by seeing them at a zoo and then want to help protect them in the wild, that's gotta be a good thing, so there's an educative element as well.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes, Stui - I apologise. I didn't mean to misquote you. So I guess we're left with the slightly clumsy No, they're not "terrorists" and it isn't "not entirely inappropriate in the circumstances."

Can we settle on "Imbecile Activists"?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I see your point about Zoo's and while some/several would fall into that category, I don't think all do. While the ideal would be to have endangered animals remain in the wild, sometimes that's not practical. Plus, if people get an appreciation of these animals by seeing them at a zoo and then want to help protect them in the wild, that's gotta be a good thing, so there's an educative element as well.

Hmmm yes the educative element is important no doubt! Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to travel and see them in their environment - understand that but not zoos!! Ethical sanctuaries where humans can see ( and hopefully appreciate) these beautiful animals in as close as possible to their natural habbitat and NO captive breeding and shipping them around the world to suit breeding programs. Loss of habitat due to humans, orphaned and rescued animals due to poaching, rescues from abuse such as bile farming and " shows" like poxy circuses etc and muppets who buy them as cute pets unfortunately means that there are many many animals who need the safety of sanctuaries. Crying or Very sad
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Can we settle on "Imbecile Activists"?

Why the compound concept? Aren’t they just imbeciles?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 pm

well, all imbeciles aren't activists, but are all activists imbeciles?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 pm

David wrote:

They chased a cow into a fence and it cartwheeled over it, they should be charged. I agree re the ones in the city, my daughter took pics of em in the middle of the road, not as many as it looked on the news, it’s the angle you take the shot at.

They are doing themselves n9 favours that’s for sure, and more importantly the animals they supposedly speak for.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:59 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

They chased a cow into a fence and it cartwheeled over it, they should be charged. I agree re the ones in the city, my daughter took pics of em in the middle of the road, not as many as it looked on the news, it’s the angle you take the shot at.

They are doing themselves n9 favours that’s for sure, and more importantly the animals they supposedly speak for.

Can you list the 9 favours then? Razz Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: