Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we had an upgrade and...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Any plans to update the CFC logo in the top left corner? Or is it heritage listed?

It's definitely heritage listed here, and taste listed as well. I refuse to fly the flag backwards just so that it can be on the left - it was a ridiculous compromise then... and still is.

Couldn't agree more! Well done!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi Mike.

Having only been a registered user on Nick's for four years, I was unaware of the history behind this site. Another user (many thanks K!!) sent me this link:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-10-26/20-years-nicks-collingwood-page

Wow! Surprised What a fascinating journey Nick's has had!! I am so very impressed and extremely grateful for the effort and dedication you have put into getting this site established and keeping it running. And for 24 years now!!! It's a fantastic service you provide to Collingwood supporters, so heartfelt thanks.

As for Nick - he looks a very impressive and talented young man! Very Happy .
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks PP. The bulk of the work at the moment, and for many years, is done by the moderation team. My contributions are now really just to provide Nick's with a home and a bit of technical support. The ongoing popularity of the site continues to amaze me, but also gives me a great feeling of reward.

Nick's story continues. He left school not knowing where he wanted to be or what he wanted to do. He didn't consider university because he felt that it was beyond his ability. He did a TAFE course in stage and music management, but that didn't lead him anywhere, so he went left field and embarked on an apprenticeship as a chef, but wasn't enjoying that and bailed out in the final year. He was living in Melbourne then and supporting himself by playing gigs at hotels and wineries.

After a period of aimlessness he then decided that he might give university a try after all and enrolled as a mature age student. Now with a bit of confidence after successfully completing a 1 year transition course at uni he decided that he would like to do a psychology degree. He graduated in 2017 and then re-enrolled to do honours and graduated again last year, this time with first class honours. The university then offered him a scholarship to do a Ph.D. in neuropsychology and that's what he's doing at the moment.

Football (Collingwood), music and formula one remain his major interests.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am

Oh, wow again!!! Surprised What an interesting path Nick has meandered down to get to his current situation. He just had a very long gap year!! Smile What an achievement though to overcome the doubts in his ability! All kudos to him.
I have a friend in his mid-thirties who has just embarked on a transition course to Uni and he left school at 15.

He has been a shearer (and a very good one) for most of his life and is now berating himself for what he considers lost time in his life. I try to reassure him that all experiences count for something and the important thing is having the courage to step out of your comfort zone, as Nick initially did.
Many thanks for that update on Nick. It is an inspiring story!
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm

KenH wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
That explains why my request for a ignore has fallen on deaf ears.

And it was my first😖

This ignore button loss is Taylormade!

For sure

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 pm

KenH wrote:
This ignore button loss is Taylormade!

Fortunately, its not the only one at our disposal.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Mike wrote:
Thanks PP. The bulk of the work at the moment, and for many years, is done by the moderation team. My contributions are now really just to provide Nick's with a home and a bit of technical support. The ongoing popularity of the site continues to amaze me, but also gives me a great feeling of reward.

Nick's story continues. He left school not knowing where he wanted to be or what he wanted to do. He didn't consider university because he felt that it was beyond his ability. He did a TAFE course in stage and music management, but that didn't lead him anywhere, so he went left field and embarked on an apprenticeship as a chef, but wasn't enjoying that and bailed out in the final year. He was living in Melbourne then and supporting himself by playing gigs at hotels and wineries.

After a period of aimlessness he then decided that he might give university a try after all and enrolled as a mature age student. Now with a bit of confidence after successfully completing a 1 year transition course at uni he decided that he would like to do a psychology degree. He graduated in 2017 and then re-enrolled to do honours and graduated again last year, this time with first class honours. The university then offered him a scholarship to do a Ph.D. in neuropsychology and that's what he's doing at the moment.

Great story. Thanks for sharing that.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Skids wrote:
Mike wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Any plans to update the CFC logo in the top left corner? Or is it heritage listed?

It's definitely heritage listed here, and taste listed as well. I refuse to fly the flag backwards just so that it can be on the left - it was a ridiculous compromise then... and still is.

Couldn't agree more! Well done!

Except that our logo changed again last year. Sans stupid flag position.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

So it did - thanks for pointing that out it went right by me unnoticed.

Well let's keep the heritage listed logo for the moment and introduce whichever logo is current when the new look Nick's is released
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mike wrote:

Great story. Thanks for sharing that.

it sure is, thats really a good read, well done to the kid! cheers

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:08 am

Yes, it's a fabulous story. I hope Nick continues to do astoundingly well in his chosen field.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:02 am

Way back in the late ‘90s, when I was at uni, a friend sent me a link to this site (a non Collingwood man), thinking I might be interested. After a few looks here and there (remember, this was dial-up desktop internet) I finally joined in earnest during the 2002 finals campaign, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Mike wrote:
Thanks Ben. It's fantastic that you're 'still here after all these years'. Memories of the chat room nearly 20 years ago are still fresh - we now have members who weren't even born then!

Thanks Mike, that makes me feel real young... Wink

- Ben
Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 pm

It's only taken me 20 years to work out how to use the quote function... Razz

- Ben
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 pm
Post subject: Nick PhDReply with quote

Nick, my son Nick completed last year what you're doing now. Interested in connecting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: