Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

The Democrats aren't the only ones with pathological obsessions about Trump. He has lots of "admirers". Wink

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 pm

David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
No more "Mr Nice Guy" from the Democrats? What have they been doing for the past three years then with impeachment, RussiaGate, enabling violence on the streets through radical organisations such as BLM and Antifa and rigging their primaries to ensure the establishment candidate wins?

BLM and Antifa have nothing to do with the Democrats. You can argue that they didn't condemn them hard enough, or whatever (much like Trump's "good people on both sides" comments about white supremacist protests), but in no way are they affiliated with the Democratic Party or acting in concert with them.

On the other hand, the Democrats were indeed dogged about impeachment and Russiagate. But note what their target was in each case: getting rid of Trump. Both were all about their pathological obsession with him and the theatre of discrediting him, and had absolutely nothing to do with scoring political victories against Republicans or actually getting Democratic policies through. When the time has come to vote on important, society-altering stuff, like Trump's massive tax cuts, they've mostly waved it through or offered the weakest possible opposition.

They even gave him a bigger boost to the defence budget than he originally asked for.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:14 am

"As Joe Rogan's Platform Grows, So Does the Media & Liberal Backlash. Why?"

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/22/as-joe-rogans-platform-grows-so-does-the-media-and-liberal-backlash-why/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am

^ Good piece, SB, thanks. I've never listened to Rogan's show (apart from some short clips of discussions on YouTube), but I have found the antipathy that some on the left hold towards him puzzling.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm

^^ It's because he will listen to people from both sides of the political divide and likes to discuss things openly. This does not sit well with the new left that want to stifle conversations that do not suit their agenda..
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:37 pm

^

Not just that, this quote sums it for me.

Quote:
While Rogan is politically liberal, he is — argues former Obama 2008 campaign strategist and Rogan listener Shant Mesrobian — culturally conservative, by which he does not mean that Rogan holds conservative views on social issues (again, he is pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights). He means that Rogan exudes culturally conservative signals: He likes MMA fighting, makes crude jokes, hunts, and just generally fails to speak in the lingo of the professional managerial class and coastal elites. And it is those cultural standards, rather than political ones, that make Rogan anathema to elite liberal culture because, Mesrobian argued in a viral Twitter thread, liberals care far more about proper culture signaling than they do about the much harder and more consequential work of actual politics.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Yes, that's the one that stood out most to me, too. A lot of this dislike is, basically, class snobbery.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 pm

if nothing else good comes out of it, at least it might kill the royal family off completely!!get a job!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:07 pm

One of the problems now Biden has a *perceived* lead is that he's going even more conservative to maintain it. The advantage of someone without a perceived lead is they have to throw more at it to make a dent.

The idiocy of having two parties so close regardless of the situation wrecks serious policy yet again. There needs to be more variation, and not of the purposefully chaotic and dysfunctional Trump kind.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Not just that, this quote sums it for me.

Quote:
While Rogan is politically liberal, he is — argues former Obama 2008 campaign strategist and Rogan listener Shant Mesrobian — culturally conservative, by which he does not mean that Rogan holds conservative views on social issues (again, he is pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights). He means that Rogan exudes culturally conservative signals: He likes MMA fighting, makes crude jokes, hunts, and just generally fails to speak in the lingo of the professional managerial class and coastal elites. And it is those cultural standards, rather than political ones, that make Rogan anathema to elite liberal culture because, Mesrobian argued in a viral Twitter thread, liberals care far more about proper culture signaling than they do about the much harder and more consequential work of actual politics.

The video on The Intercept's YouTube channel expands on the points raised in the article and how Rogan epitomises the divide between cultural and political liberalism. It's worth a watch if you have an hour to spare.

https://youtu.be/S0tFgPG26vA

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Brief but good article by Waleed Aly

"Winning isn’t everything: how you win matters, too"

"....If I had to distil this into a principle, it would go something like this. If we want reforms in our politics to be durable, and we want our society to emerge from them intact, we must always consider how they look from the losing side. In political debate we should only use weapons we'd be happy to see used against us. Because one day, they will be.

You might be comfortable with your side of politics, say, using the school curriculum to impose a particular view of the world, or replacing independent public servants with partisan appointments. But when the other side does the same to you, whatever discomfort you feel will be the symptoms of a corrupted political culture.
...."

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/winning-isn-t-everything-how-you-win-matters-too-20200924-p55ysv.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm

Agreed, WPT. Summarises the issues well.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Do unto others etc. who'd a thunk that.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

First presidential debate of 2020 will be at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm on Wednesday. Please let it be everything I hope it will be.
It'll be telecast live on the ABC News channel.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 pm

^ It’ll probably be boring and lame. Best case scenario in terms of spectacle (and worst case in terms of real-world outcome) would be Biden glitching out. But honestly I think people are being unreasonably optimistic to expect any fireworks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 67 of 85   

Jump to: