Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel Brooks endorsing Biden. The first time he’s ever made a political ad:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/mel-brooks-biden-endorsement-trnd/index.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:13 am

re: Biden having dementia, of course he does. Anyone with eyes will have seen ample enough evidence of that in the last couple of years, even though it’s probably only relatively early stages and he still comes across as reasonably lucid more often than not (whatever they had him on for the debate was clearly starting to wear off in the last ten minutes or so, though; not because of the Lincoln reference, which was sarcasm, but a number of other moments where he started stumbling over words and looking disoriented). It’s nothing to be ashamed of; the guy’s nearly 80 years old. But I very much doubt he’ll be able to serve a full term.

Tannin wrote:
It astonishes me that otherwise intelligent people could, even for one moment, swallow uncorroborated fairy stories originating with known lying scumbags like Giuliani and known fraudster Bannon, and published by the notoriously biased and horribly unreliable Murdoch.

Paying attention to this bullshite is simply serving Trump's corrupt interests. Nothing more and nothing less.

And it's not "disheartening" at all. Reputable, evidence-based platforms look at stories like this - politically motivated, made-up slander stories pushed by known fraudsters - and very properly ignore them - as is their duty.

It’s a big wager: either the NY Times (et al) are doing their duty, or else they are actively suppressing a big story for political ends – in which case, their credibility is shot. I guess we’ll see, but I want to believe that you’re right.

Last edited by David on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:50 am

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-final-debate-poll/
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:06 pm

David wrote:
re: Biden having dementia, of course he does. Anyone with eyes will have seen ample enough evidence of that in the last couple of years, even though it’s probably only relatively early stages and he still comes across as reasonably lucid more often than not (whatever they had him on for the debate was clearly starting to wear off in the last ten minutes or so, though; not because of the Lincoln reference, which was sarcasm, but a number of other moments where he started stumbling over words and looking disoriented). It’s nothing to be ashamed of; the guy’s nearly 80 years old. But I very much doubt he’ll be able to serve a full term.

Tannin wrote:
It astonishes me that otherwise intelligent people could, even for one moment, swallow uncorroborated fairy stories originating with known lying scumbags like Giuliani and known fraudster Bannon, and published by the notoriously biased and horribly unreliable Murdoch.

Paying attention to this bullshite is simply serving Trump's corrupt interests. Nothing more and nothing less.

And it's not "disheartening" at all. Reputable, evidence-based platforms look at stories like this - politically motivated, made-up slander stories pushed by known fraudsters - and very properly ignore them - as is their duty.

It’s a big wager: either the NY Times (et al) are doing their duty, or else they are actively suppressing a big story for political ends – in which case, their credibility is shot. I guess we’ll see, but I want to believe that you’re right.

have you ever been around anyone with dementia? thats a scary statement, what if hes off with the fairies and makes a big decision and no one realises? if he has been in any way diagnosed he should not be running. I watched some of the debate, the korean bit and the healthcare bit, not sure i believe either, not sure which devil is the better bet to be honest, although Biden seems to have slightly less bogan in him. whether or not you liked his politics, Obama looks like the best thing in the white house in a long time.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:47 pm

David wrote:

Tannin wrote:

I didn’t realise cognitive assessment was a subject in your writing and editing course.

He stutters and his time delays are a way of trying to control how he speaks. However as a person who assesses mental state and cognition as a living his Political opponent Trumps him for both mental illness and cognitive impairments 😉

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:19 pm

I’ve heard the stutter explanation make the rounds before. I don’t doubt it’s real, but (as Biden would say) c’mon man ... we weren’t born yesterday.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:04 pm

David wrote:
I’ve heard the stutter explanation make the rounds before. I don’t doubt it’s real, but (as Biden would say) c’mon man ... we weren’t born yesterday.

Did you really post that? Goodness me. I think you know less about stuttering than you know about dementia.

The only psychiatry in the two presidential candidates does not belong to the Democratic side.

Tip: check the actual definition of projection in Psychiatry and you couldn’t ask for a better exemplar that Trump.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 am

WPT, David is not amenable to evidence on this matter. We have seen that demonstrated over and over again - in this very thread. He is utterly determined to find ways to knock and belittle and smear Trump's opponent, and does not respond to facts (other than with some spectacular whataboutery). I don't know why, he just is.

Come to think of it, maybe it's not Trump's opponent he hates so illogically and passionately, maybe it's Sanders' opponent.

Just get over it David, and stop making stuff up.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:59 am

Let's try a different view for a sense of perspective:

Nick Cohen wrote:

If Trump were a beggar screaming at passersby on a Washington sidewalk, rather than a billionaire in the White House, we would have no difficulty in saying he was mentally ill

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/24/were-endlessly-told-why-populism-works-now-see-how-it-might-fail

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 am

^ Ah yes, noted psychiatrist Nick Cohen. Laughing

(As it happens, I think most of what has been observed about Trump’s mental health in the popular press is probably true, and he is himself likely a candidate for the dementia ward. They’re both sundowning old men. But the pro-Democrat media and party gaslighting of the public over Biden is truly breathtaking – it’s a real emperor’s new clothes thing.)

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/07/2020-dementia-campaign-123106

Quote:
While rates of dementia are going down gradually in the United States, 65 is the age at which 20 to 25 percent of people have mild cognitive impairment and 10 percent have dementia, according to geriatric researcher Kenneth Langa at the University of Michigan.

[...]

Matt Stoller, another voice on the left and a Sanders backer, said on Twitter: "Democratic insiders know Biden has cognitive decline issues. They joke about it. They don’t care."

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:33 am

David wrote:
^ Ah yes, noted psychiatrist Nick Cohen. Laughing

(As it happens, I think most of what has been observed about Trump’s mental health in the popular press is probably true, and he is himself likely a candidate for the dementia ward. They’re both sundowning old men. But the pro-Democrat media and party gaslighting of the public over Biden is truly breathtaking – it’s a real emperor’s new clothes thing.)

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/07/2020-dementia-campaign-123106

Quote:
While rates of dementia are going down gradually in the United States, 65 is the age at which 20 to 25 percent of people have mild cognitive impairment and 10 percent have dementia, according to geriatric researcher Kenneth Langa at the University of Michigan.

[...]

Matt Stoller, another voice on the left and a Sanders backer, said on Twitter: "Democratic insiders know Biden has cognitive decline issues. They joke about it. They don’t care."

As opposed to the Bernie Sanders supporters school of cognitive and geriatric medicine. To exhibit occasional tangential if not circumstantial thoughts does not explain or describe dementia. Many people who speak publicly who have anxiety(stuttering is based in large part on anxiety) can also speak in a manner with tangential / circumstantial thoughts. This is not brain surgery (wait a minute)

However the good assessors of the political extremes say you know, we know, insiders say ....of course their membership of the cognitive and memory assessor professional organisations seems missing on their CV’s.

Funny that

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:19 pm

I mean, any proper psychiatrist will tell you that a cognitive analysis from afar is worthless (which is why all those articles like "50 psychiatrists question President’s mental health", a phenomenon stretching back to LBJ, remain controversial in the psychiatric community). So by that logic we should take all public commentary on the matter, including from professionals, with a grain of salt. But we have eyes and ears, and we can see when someone looks lost or disoriented, or seems to have forgotten what they were saying, or gets names and words and people mixed up, or misremembers events – all of which Biden has done many times in the last year alone – which is not the same as stumbling over words or trying to grasp for the right one, which those who stutter exhibit. As with Trump’s lies, we are veritably drowning in examples of Biden’s cognitive decline – from numerous videos of him speaking to news reports about his campaign trying to reduce event time or keep him out of the public eye – but those who are politically motivated will always find excuses or alternative explanations.

(And for those maligning my own motives: yes, I wanted Sanders to get the nomination and am disappointed that he didn’t, but I nonetheless do want Biden to beat Trump. If anything, I think I’m one of the more impartial commenters on this race here.)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:59 pm

^ I wasn’t maligning your motives but your sources and your conclusion. If ur premise is incorrect then so too will be your conclusion.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 pm

You? Impartial on Biden? Err .... who is the one on this forum who regularly parrots the Trump Fan Club talking points re this topic? You are way over-invested in this horse.

The fact that you consistently see or imagine relatively minor issues in one candidate's makeup and bring them up over and over again, and somehow equate them to the known, unchallenged ones of a whole different order of magnitude in the other candidate has reminded me many times over the last few months of Matthew 7:5.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:17 pm

I just bet $20 on Trump to win. However it plays out I'm sure there'll be sooking and recriminations. Trump is a polarising figure who has at least as many people who love him as he does loathe him.

I just read an article from a bloke who just did a drive down route 66, all 4000km of it and Biden might as well not be running, it's all about Trump.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 79 of 85   

Jump to: