Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing how far Trump goes with the insults and how flustered Biden gets by them. Not sure if I'll rearrange my work roster to be home for it or not. 🤔
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm

What Obama Got Away With:
https://youtu.be/iOfkBRaWmGE

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Do Biden and Harris refuse to have police protection at their campaign events? Will they also refuse their protection if they win the election?

I feel sorry for the Secret Service having no backup in a Biden White House
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Copied from the comments section of The Age.

Here’s what Republican congress men and women said in 2016 when Obama wanted to nominate Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President”

South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham: “I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination, and you could use my words against me and you’d be absolutely right.”

Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley: “The fact of the matter is that it’s been standard practice over the last nearly 80 years that Supreme Court nominees are not nominated and confirmed during a presidential election year. Given the huge divide in the country, and the fact that this President, above all others, has made no bones about his goal to use the courts to circumvent Congress and push through his own agenda, it only makes sense that we defer to the American people who will elect a new president to select the next Supreme Court Justice”

Texas Senator John Cornyn: “At this critical juncture in our nation’s history, Texans and the American people deserve to have a say in the selection of the next lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. The only way to empower the American people and ensure they have a voice is for the next President to make the nomination to fill this vacancy”

Texas Senator Ted Cruz: “There should be no hearing on any nomination that President Obama makes, and if any confirmation vote is attempted, I will filibuster it…We will not consider any Supreme Court nominee until the people have spoken and a new president is inaugurated”

Iowa Senator Joni Ernst: “In the midst of a critical election, the American people deserve to have a say in this important decision that will impact the course of our country for years to come. This is not about any particular nominee; rather this is about giving the American people a voice… We must wait to see what the people say this November, and then our next president will put forward a nominee”

North Carolina Senator Tom Tillis: “It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our Republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next President. Vice President Biden was absolutely correct: there should be no hearings, there should be no confirmation. The most pragmatic conclusion to draw is to hold the Supreme Court vacancy until the American people’s voices have been heard.”

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm

The Democrats did this to themselves when then Senate Democrats leader, Harry Reid used the nuclear option and eliminated the 60-vote rule required for executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments.

McConnell warned them in 2013 that they would regret it.

Quote:
“You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think,” McConnell said on the Senate floor.

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/191057-mcconnell-youll-regret-this

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:19 pm

And, by being a lying, cheating, dishonest piece of anti-democratic filth, he's proved his point.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:51 pm

David wrote:
^ It’ll probably be boring and lame. Best case scenario in terms of spectacle (and worst case in terms of real-world outcome) would be Biden glitching out. But honestly I think people are being unreasonably optimistic to expect any fireworks.

Which is a way of saying there is absolutely nothing destructive, outrageous, floundering or idiotic Trump can do to lose favour in a country where malignant narcissism and the batshit mental has been normalised by a fundamentalist culture that has lost its moorings. That's the real story here, of course.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:42 am

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/27/us/donald-trump-taxes.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/27/new-york-times-trump-tax-returns-key-findings

Quote:
The Times reported that Trump paid no federal income taxes in 11 of 18 years the newspaper looked at. In 2017, after he became president, his tax bill was only $750. This is despite Trump often railing against taxes in America and ushering through a series of tax cuts that critics say mostly helps the rich and big business.

The Times said of Trump’s immediate predecessors: “Barack Obama and George W Bush each regularly paid more than $100,000 a year.”

Quote:
Trump is involved in a decade-long audit with the Internal Revenue Service over a $72.9m tax refund he claimed, and received, after declaring huge losses. A ruling against him could cost him more than $100m, the Times reported.

It added: “In 2011, the IRS began an audit reviewing the legitimacy of the refund. Almost a decade later, the case remains unresolved, for unknown reasons, and could ultimately end up in federal court, where it could become a matter of public record.”

Quote:
The president’s oldest daughter, while working as an employee of the Trump Organization, appears to have received “consulting fees” that helped reduce the family’s tax bill, the Times said. Such a revelation might further tarnish the reputation of Ivanka, a senior White House adviser married to another, Jared Kushner, who often tries to distance herself from some of the biggest scandals of her father’s administration. She is widely believed to harbor political ambitions of her own after Trump leaves office.

The Times reported: “Trump’s private records show that his company once paid $747,622 in fees to an unnamed consultant for hotel projects in Hawaii and Vancouver, British Columbia. Ivanka Trump’s public disclosure forms – which she filed when joining the White House staff in 2017 – show that she had received an identical amount through a consulting company she co-owned.”

Quote:
The Times was brutal in its assessment of Trump’s businesses, about which he often boasts and on the back of which he sought to promote a carefully curated image as a master businessman. “Trump’s core enterprises – from his constellation of golf courses to his conservative-magnet hotel in Washington – report losing millions, if not tens of millions, of dollars year after year,” the newspaper said.

It detailed how since 2000, Trump has reported losing more than $315m at his golf courses, with much of that coming from Trump National Doral in Florida. His Washington hotel, which opened in 2016 and has been the subject of much speculation regarding federal ethics laws, has lost more than $55m.

Quote:
The newspaper also reported that Trump is facing a major financial bill, as within the next four years, hundreds of millions of dollars in loans will come due. The paper said Trump is personally responsible for many of those obligations.

The paper reported: “In the 1990s, Mr Trump nearly ruined himself by personally guaranteeing hundreds of millions of dollars in loans, and he has since said that he regretted doing so. But he has taken the same step again, his tax records show. He appears to be responsible for loans totaling $421m, most of which is coming due within four years.”

In a blunt summary of the problem, the Times speculated: “Should he win re-election, his lenders could be placed in the unprecedented position of weighing whether to foreclose on a sitting president.”

Quote:
The issue of whether Trump’s businesses benefit from his position in the White House has been one of the long-running themes of reporting on the Trump presidency. The global nature of the Trump Organization and its portfolio of hotels, resorts and other interests has left Trump open to speculation that lobbyists, business leaders and foreign powers could spend money in them to try and peddle influence in the US.

The Times report on his tax returns is clear that Trump’s businesses have indeed benefited from his political career.

“Since he became a leading presidential candidate, he has received large amounts of money from lobbyists, politicians and foreign officials who pay to stay at his properties or join his clubs,” the newspaper reported, before detailing monies paid at his Mar-a-Largo resort in Florida, his Washington hotel and other locations.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:26 pm

He should be in jail, basically. Happens to people who commit far lower level tax frauds all the time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:37 pm

David wrote:
He should be in jail, basically. Happens to people who commit far lower level tax frauds all the time.

You mean Donald Trump is a tax avoiding, swindler and crook? How can this be so? Shocked

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Yes. It's a pity Bernie Sanders didn't get the nomination. #BernieWould'veWon.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:49 pm

^ We’ll never know, sadly. But if the Democrats lose a second unloseable election after closing ranks against the candidate with an actual progressive vision for a better future because of "electability", instead condemning the country to eight years of control by an incompetent and corrupt megalomaniac, then they and their enablers never get to tell the left what to do ever again.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:49 pm

^

Not just 8, he's already grooming his daughter to be POTUS, as I predicted. Razz Cool

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

David wrote:
^ We’ll never know, sadly. But if the Democrats lose a second unloseable election after closing ranks against the candidate with an actual progressive vision for a better future because of "electability", instead condemning the country to eight years of control by an incompetent and corrupt megalomaniac, then they and their enablers never get to tell the left what to do ever again.

The Democrats have no capacity for self reflection. If they lose they'll blame the 'Bernie Bros' for not turning out instead acknowledging that they were warned from day one that prgressives weren't interested in supporting a corporate candidate and that M4A was a prerequisite for getting their support.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 pm

While I have no doubt that you’re right, the irony is that the vast majority of Sanders supporters probably will vote for Biden. If the worst does eventuate, it’ll more likely be tuned-out non-voters who really cost the Democrats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 68 of 85   

Jump to: