Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell sexual abuse trials and fresh investigation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Yes, indeed – some members were and some weren’t (I suppose it’s impossible for us to know what the number breakdown was, right?)

All we know is they couldn't get to 12:0 or 11:1 the first time. Since the verdict on the retrial was, as I understand the reports, unanimous (that is, 12:0 on all charges), it is possible that the "score" after extra time is, say, 22:2. It is also possible (but you'd have to think unlikely) that it is presently 14:10 (I say "unlikely" because that would mean that every juror was persuaded of guilt in the second trial but almost no-one was in the first). Whatever the actual numbers, it appears to me to be mathematically certain that more jurors across the two trials thought him guilty than thought him innocent.

Whatever pot-shots people are taking from the gallery, the evidence must have been very persuasive. Add to that the role of the DPP in deciding whether or not a case should be presented for trial and you reach the conclusion that the 5 guilty verdicts were hardly "pot luck". The prosecution would scarcely have commenced on those charges unless the relevant decision-makers considered that there was a reasonable prospect on the likely evidence of securing convictions.

All of that said, if the Court of Appeal concludes that the jury should have entertained a reasonable doubt, they will quash the conviction. It is important to understand that in that next process the Court of Appeal does not need to be persuaded positively that Pell isn't guilty, it just needs to be persuaded that the jury should have entertained a reasonable doubt that he was guilty.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am

I just saw your further question, David. It's most unlikely that fresh evidence will be led on appeal. I am aware of that happening in one recent appeal in which the question was whether defence counsel's conduct of the trial was competent. As I understand it, in such cases, defence counsel at trial is entitled to be heard on that question on appeal (since, obviously, the person who is said to be have been incompetent will not be the person making that argument on behalf of the defendant/appellant on appeal). In that appeal, trial defence counsel gave evidence at the appeal and was cross-examined. That's very unusual.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 am

Giving a Pedophile a Character Reference, pretty much states that you condone Pedophilia. The debate will rage about Pell's guilt or innocence and that has to do with the power of the Vatican. The Church (all of them) need to be punished for their inaction, covering up and intimidation and the best way to punish them is to remove their tax free status. Make them pay tax like everyone else and that will show that they are not above the law.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 am

No, I don’t accept that proposition about character references. The very purpose of a character reference is to mitigate sentence for something of which one has been convicted. I think we’d all start from the basic proposition that this fellow was of good character and repute, wouldn’t we?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 am

Yeah, that's an absurd claim on many levels, Culprit.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:
^ Yes, indeed – some members were and some weren’t (I suppose it’s impossible for us to know what the number breakdown was, right?)

All we know is they couldn't get to 12:0 or 11:1 the first time. Since the verdict on the retrial was, as I understand the reports, unanimous (that is, 12:0 on all charges), it is possible that the "score" after extra time is, say, 22:2. It is also possible (but you'd have to think unlikely) that it is presently 14:10 (I say "unlikely" because that would mean that every juror was persuaded of guilt in the second trial but almost no-one was in the first). Whatever the actual numbers, it appears to me to be mathematically certain that more jurors across the two trials thought him guilty than thought him innocent.

Whatever pot-shots people are taking from the gallery, the evidence must have been very persuasive. Add to that the role of the DPP in deciding whether or not a case should be presented for trial and you reach the conclusion that the 5 guilty verdicts were hardly "pot luck". The prosecution would scarcely have commenced on those charges unless the relevant decision-makers considered that there was a reasonable prospect on the likely evidence of securing convictions.

All of that said, if the Court of Appeal concludes that the jury should have entertained a reasonable doubt, they will quash the conviction. It is important to understand that in that next process the Court of Appeal does not need to be persuaded positively that Pell isn't guilty, it just needs to be persuaded that the jury should have entertained a reasonable doubt that he was guilty.

Interestingly, anecdotal reports suggest the first jury was indeed 10–2 in favour of Pell. I don't pretend to know how it's possible for two juries to come to such wildly difference conclusions, but I'm guessing that a lot of it comes down to how good louder voices are at persuading their colleagues to agree with them (as one presumes that a great many juries start off divided before reaching ubiquitous or near-ubiquitous verdicts).

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/prosecutors-drop-second-trial-against-cardinal-george-pell-99978

Last edited by David on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 am

David wrote:
Yeah, that's an absurd claim on many levels, Culprit.
I've got no time for Peds, you support them you are the same as them.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 am

How far are you going to extend that, and what do you mean by support? One organisation that I have a lot of respect for (and have even considered volunteering for) is COSA, or Circles of Support and Accountability, which supports convicted sex offenders by providing them with companionship and assistance with basic daily tasks, as a means of aiding their transition back into society after release and helping to prevent reoffending. Obviously the people who volunteer for that service don't condone child abuse – indeed, they're doing more than the average person to help stop it.

Likewise, it is entirely possible (and, in my view, highly beneficial) for friends and family members to stick with perpetrators through hearings and after conviction, because civilised members of society understand that you can hate the sin but still love the sinner.

And lastly, in terms of legal process, just as we as a society accept that defendants are entitled to a lawyer who will argue their case, we accept that they are entitled to make a case for a less severe punishment after conviction. If that involves character references that, through describing the accused's positive attributes, indicate good chances of rehabilitation, then I think that's a legitimate part of the process, and that those who contribute such references shouldn't be attacked for doing so.

Where 'support' for child molesters becomes a problem is when friends or family members are involved in covering up crimes or shielding perpetrators from justice – that is, supporting the actual offending rather than the offender as a person. I would strongly argue that there is nothing wrong with the latter (and, indeed, that any rhetoric that supports or leads to further ostracisation of offenders is likely to increase the prevalence of sexual abuse).

Last edited by David on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 am

You'll know when it happens.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Culprit wrote:
Giving a Pedophile a Character Reference, pretty much states that you condone Pedophilia. ...

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, I don’t accept that proposition about character references. The very purpose of a character reference is to mitigate sentence for something of which one has been convicted. I think we’d all start from the basic proposition that this fellow was of good character and repute, wouldn’t we?

Not only that, but the reference givers probably believe his innocence. I think one of the references quoted in the media says that the giver cannot believe he could possibly have committed that crime.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm

It is fair to wonder whether expressions of support from friends in high places should really be permitted to mitigate sentencing, and whether we should even permit character references at all. But if so, that's on the system, not Howard et al.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Until the appeal, he's a convicted pedophile. What will be the appeal grounds? "my lawyer said I will get off". The Church is another name for Pedophile support network. Even the Right Wing Shock Jock Hadley is ripping into his mates Howard and Abbott. https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/ray-hadley-condemns-john-howard-and-tony-abbott-for-gross-errors-of-judgment-on-pell-20190228-p510t5.html
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Culprit wrote:
Until the appeal,...

At what point in criminal proceedings do you think character references are appropriate? Only after someone has been found not guilty?

I assume they were all written before there was any verdict at all.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Culprit wrote:
Until the appeal, he's a convicted pedophile. What will be the appeal grounds? "my lawyer said I will get off". The Church is another name for Pedophile support network. Even the Right Wing Shock Jock Hadley is ripping into his mates Howard and Abbott. https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/ray-hadley-condemns-john-howard-and-tony-abbott-for-gross-errors-of-judgment-on-pell-20190228-p510t5.html

I know I'm shouting into the void on this one, but there's no such thing as a convicted paedophile. You can't be convicted of having a psychological condition. He's a convicted child molester.

(As for the appeal, we'll have to wait and see, but – as Silvester's article suggests above – I think it's fair to say that he does indeed stand a good chance of being acquitted.)

K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Yeah, that would be a "psychiatric/psychological diagnosis". And those are more unreliable than a jury's "criminal conviction". (You won't get even six psychiatrists to "diagnose" the same thing, let alone twelve. Of course, those twelve are in the same room. Maybe if the twelve were kept apart, it'd be the same.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 4 of 33   

Jump to: