Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mayday, May Day or D-Day for May: Brexit Update

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem? The UK has done a post EU trade deal with the US that will increase GDP. It's a better deal than they had under the giant EU. Looks like predictions of economic collapse were premature to say the least, and that's just one trade deal.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:26 am

The only real issue is the Irish one, otherwise it's just a storm in a tea cup.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:29 am

^I think you mean because you haven't seen it covered day in and day out you imagine it to be a raging success. Just another creative art class dreaming about things going on in remote places.

Wokko wrote:
What's the problem? The UK has done a post EU trade deal with the US that will increase GDP. It's a better deal than they had under the giant EU. Looks like predictions of economic collapse were premature to say the least, and that's just one trade deal.

Billions in GDP and FDI already lost; more low-productivity rubbish jobs than ever before; growth in a hole indefinitely; no deal with the EU or anything remotely like it in sight; global economy in a slump and under stress; widespread national hatred and division. And the jewel in the crown of the fantasy empire is a mere pittance from the US with the externalities of that deal not even known yet?

It's farcical. Do the proper accounting. Only narcissistic scumbags of Johnson's ilk could be shameless enough to show their faces after inflicting such a preposterous national devaluation on people for no good purpose.

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:35 am

I don't necessarily think it's a raging success, nor do I think it's a disaster. It will probably be good in some ways, bad in others but in the end, I doubt it will change much. Besides, it's what most of you wanted.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:47 am

^In other words, income and wealth smashed for the foreseeable future but no bodies piled high. 'V' for victory of ever there was one!

No, it's not what people wanted, and the very notion was absurd in any case. No one knew what they wanted, which is why there were so many versions of Brexit, and why the fantasy of being unaligned with the regional economy has not and will not ever take place.

It was a wealth-destroying vanity exercise whose only claim to success is that, although it actually hasn't taken place in any meaningful way at all and never will, there was no apocalypse. Think about that bit of genius for a moment.

Take heart, people. You're still smashing yourself in the head with a hammer and yet you're still alive! We told you it would be brilliant!

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:56 am

There are more important things to a nation than wealth. The UK is suffering from a cultural malaise and the people wanted to take back their national identity and not just be a vassal state of the new European Reich that they're trying to build. Just because YOU can't understand that doesn't make it an illegitimate exercise.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:12 am

^I do fear you're saying that with a straight face. That is dissociative internet drivel about a country and a region you clearly know very little about.

The European Reich is upon us! Resist! The internet has foreseen it!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 am

So like I said, you don't understand why people wanted to leave so you sneer at them and think them simple or stupid.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-englishness/english-malaise-stirs-yearning-for-divorce-from-european-union-idUSKCN0XW0CL

That guy is pretty representative of the reason to leave, love of England, not some globalized, homogeneous world.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 am

Wokko wrote:
So like I said, you don't understand why people wanted to leave so you sneer at them and think them simple or stupid.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-englishness/english-malaise-stirs-yearning-for-divorce-from-european-union-idUSKCN0XW0CL

That guy is pretty representative of the reason to leave, love of England, not some globalized, homogeneous world.

Except he isn't, and certainly not because you asserted it to be so from 17000 km away. But do admire the unflappable certitude with which you declare it to be so based on your extensive internet experience of English and British culture.

Elderly people in the shires had very different reasons. Cultural northerners had very different reasons. People in neglected towns had very different reasons. People who were lied to and now regret their decision had very different reasons. Puerile racists had very different reasons. Ruddy-faced fist-waving millionaires had very few different reasons. The angry unemployed had very different reasons.

But your Google search found the reason. From 17000km away you managed to crack the nut with a single Google search.

Do you know who comes out with nonsense like that? Desperate religious people looking for the next Messiah, moving from cult to cult in hope. One minute, it's the Communists. Then, the feminists. Next, the Moochers. The next it's the Muslims. And now it's the European Reich, my favourite menace of entire comic series

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 am

Your aggressive arrogance is astounding and as usual you're not worth conversing with. You never engage, you lecture and think yourself some kind of intellectual. Of course there are myriad reasons that people voted to leave, but you think that you know better and they're all racists or morons. I'm done with you anyway, if I wanted to be lectured at by arrogant globalist wankers I'd watch the BBC.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 am

^I forgot about the 'globalists'! Are they allies with the Muslims? Are they in league with the Chinese? Or will they form an alliance with the European Reich and the Moochers? I can't wait to see what happens next!

There's nothing serious here to engage. You skip from evil enemy to evil enemy. The 'European Reich'! FFS, get a grip. How do you expect people to respond to that shite? You're the one lecturing about China and the UK and Europe and places you know squat about.

For what it's worth, I do think you know plenty about plenty of topics. But you can't defend the massive loss of wealth caused by a Brexit that hasn't even happened yet on the basis of conspiracy theories and cultural anecdotes.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:28 pm

I actually doubt there will be a massive loss in wealth but in any case the people did want Brexit as votes showed, and if there was another vote, I reckon it would be another resounding "yes" so even if they aren't sure of the details, they are sure they want out.

It may be a case of shaudenfraude (sp?) but I'm looking forward to the hand wringing and despair coming out of the UK if things do go the way you believe they will. Perfect scenario would be Scotland leaving the union.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:56 pm

^Just to clarify, the massive loss of wealth has already occurred and is occurring each and every day the stench of a Brexit that hasn't actually happened weighs on the economy. I'm not expecting collapse, but rather an ongoing malaise, instability, pantomime, and flare ups of anger and reaction accompanied by bouts of costly populism.

Meanwhile, the capacity to cope with a changing planet will slip further from grasp for those who have retreated into Facebook fantasy. The rest will of course adapt to whatever comes and do best out of it. That's the real schadenfreude here.

I agree the angry mob could be incited to vote for Brexit again. Stupidity is angers best friend, and the well here has been thoroughly poisoned.

Generational shift is the bright spot on the horizon, but it's a slow process.

Anyhow, on that note all rants suspended until further notice. I've said more than enough on Trump, Brexit and god knows what.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 pm

I'm having flashbacks in this thread Shocked Confused Wink Cool
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Haha, a trip down memory lane!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: