Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brodie Grundy's ruck work

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The best assumption about Brodie Grundy's ruck play is that it follows the coaching he's been directed by. If it weren't you would expect the ruck/midfield coaches to correct him during the game and see a different approach to better reflect what they want. I can't recall ever seeing that happen this year. Given his dominance in the hitouts you would think he is putting it where he is told to. Which would seem to imply that they don't want him doing what many here want him to. (I tend to agree with the posters by the way, more movement away in the air from the tap) So IMHO no blame or responsibility should attach to the player. Unless of course he is stubbornly refusing to play as directed, which is highly unlikely. If it were the case you would expect some rumbling and action to be taken. No sign of that at all and no expression of dissatisfaction with his style of play is evident. However, for mine, I'm not so sure he is as happy as he would like to be where he is. That is entirely speculative, however, Nathan Buckley's comments about his contract ( for next year ) not being a matter of concern "in the short term" leave the long term somewhat uncertain. There have been other signs that the relationship between Brodie and the club hasn't quite settled as best it might. Criticsm of the culture and an uncharacteristic ho hum from the coach about one game come to mind. If Mumford can nullify him and we can't regularly win clearances with him is a trade such an outlandish concept given the price he would command? I'd be reluctant but really any trade depends on what you give and what you get. While there may be some astonishment that the discussion is taking place at all given his stats, nevertheless, in my observation the issue has been evident previously and if I am not mistaken commented upon here at Nicks. In any event my money is on Brodie to Adelaide in 2021.
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 pm

The best assumption about Brodie Grundy's ruck play is that it follows the coaching he's been directed by. If it weren't you would expect the ruck/midfield coaches to correct him during the game and see a different approach to better reflect what they want. I can't recall ever seeing that happen this year. Given his dominance in the hitouts you would think he is putting it where he is told to. Which would seem to imply that they don't want him doing what many here want him to. (I tend to agree with the posters by the way, more movement away in the air from the tap) So IMHO no blame or responsibility should attach to the player. Unless of course he is stubbornly refusing to play as directed, which is highly unlikely. If it were the case you would expect some rumbling and action to be taken. No sign of that at all and no expression of dissatisfaction with his style of play is evident. However, for mine, I'm not so sure he is as happy as he would like to be where he is. That is entirely speculative, however, Nathan Buckley's comments about his contract ( for next year ) not being a matter of concern "in the short term" leave the long term somewhat uncertain. There have been other signs that the relationship between Brodie and the club hasn't quite settled as best it might. Criticsm of the culture and an uncharacteristic ho hum from the coach about one game come to mind. If Mumford can nullify him and we can't regularly win clearances with him is a trade such an outlandish concept given the price he would command? I'd be reluctant but really any trade depends on what you give and what you get. While there may be some astonishment that the discussion is taking place at all given his stats, nevertheless, in my observation the issue has been evident previously and if I am not mistaken commented upon here at Nicks. In any event my money is on Brodie to Adelaide in 2021.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Footage just played on "On the Couch" shows Mumford roving to Brodie. He doesn't contest the ruck at all, just grabbing the ball from the tap and getting it forward. This is really interesting, considering that some have expressed that Brody could play as a big mid and rove off Coxy.

It’s interesting that Grundy got 25 touches, so I wonder who he roved to ?
Mumford gets 8 touches throughout an entire match and they managed to show a couple of them and commentators will want you to believe he had Grundy worked out.
Our mids were poor, it’s that simple. They were totally smothered by the Giants mids and we weren’t allowed to get the ball into space.
Not one of starting mids we’re above their AVERAGE disposal numbers on the day. On the other hand, Grundy was above his AVERAGE in both hit outs and disposals.

Our mids were poor indeed, but whether it was the coaching or Grundy's poor decision-making, his ruck dominance failed to give us first use of the ball at stoppages. I hope there's a close examination of our whole midfield set up and connections between Grundy's tap work and our other on ballers. This weakness has been apparent for far too long. Enough is enough.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:18 pm

There's yet another article questioning the value of Brodie's ruck work just published on afl.com.au
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Good on them. Let's hope the folk in Adelaide swallow it hook, line and sinker and withdraw their offer(s).
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
There's yet another article questioning the value of Brodie's ruck work just published on afl.com.au

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-25/star-pie-needs-to-adapt-if-team-is-to-benefit-from-dominance
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Luke Darcy. How many prelims did he ruck his way to victory in? Was it 25 or 26? I just can’t quite recall.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm

P4S, if Darcy bothers you, you probably shouldn't listen to what Don Scott said.

Look away, now!

("Jumps too early."
"Scared.")

Last edited by K on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm

K wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-25/star-pie-needs-to-adapt-if-team-is-to-benefit-from-dominance

Thanks for the link K. I was on my mobile at the time and couldn't do a cut and paste of the link..
BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 pm

K wrote:
P4S, if Darcy bothers you, you probably shouldn't listen to what Don Scott said.

Look away, now!

("Jumps too early."
"Scared.")

I agree with Don Scott

BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:41 pm

^
Grundy actually stripped 8kg in the pre-season

For better or for worse?

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Geez the knives are out, aren't they? Took them longer than I thought it would.
BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:14 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Geez the knives are out, aren't they? Took them longer than I thought it would.

Im only referring to the Prelim, it was clear that Mummy got inside Grundy's head. We should not have under-estimated Mummy ( A veteran of the game ), looking back at his poor performance against Stefan Martin, and correcting the simple things.

I look back at Grundy dropping those 8kg, as a big mistake in the Prelim. If it wasn't so wet on the day it would have been a different story.

But you have to admit, and i recommend a second look, The way Mummy used his body after every one of Grundy's taps around the congestion, played a big part in the win. The fact that Grundy stood back as almost ( a bystander ) has me questioning if Mummy hurt him on the day. I recall him dropping the knees into the back early.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:22 am

More referring to the articles, BKF. Yeah Mummy hurt Grundy a bit. Got him in the eye at one stage. Just like our game earlier in the season, he stuck the knee into Grundy every opportunity he had. There were times he didn't even bother trying to tap the ball, just got physical with Grundy.

I think the articles, especially Sam Mitchell's, are a bit off when criticising Grundy for not belting the ball clear. There were many times Grundy grabbed the ball and kicked it forward. Our mids obviously weren't doing it.

With Grundy's tap dominance, and the 6-6-6 rule, we should be romping inside 50s like no tomorrow. But we're not. I don't think it's an issue with Grundy, but our mids positioning. GWS had Wills wrapped up (literally at some stages) at every bounce, and Adams blocked -- that killed our inside work and forced Pendles, Treloar and Sidey to forego their usual outside role and try to muscle the ball. What we got was stacks on and congested stoppages, which the Giants wanted because it killed out run and handball game.
BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:31 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
More referring to the articles, BKF. Yeah Mummy hurt Grundy a bit. Got him in the eye at one stage. Just like our game earlier in the season, he stuck the knee into Grundy every opportunity he had. There were times he didn't even bother trying to tap the ball, just got physical with Grundy.

I think the articles, especially Sam Mitchell's, are a bit off when criticising Grundy for not belting the ball clear. There were many times Grundy grabbed the ball and kicked it forward. Our mids obviously weren't doing it.

With Grundy's tap dominance, and the 6-6-6 rule, we should be romping inside 50s like no tomorrow. But we're not. I don't think it's an issue with Grundy, but our mids positioning. GWS had Wills wrapped up (literally at some stages) at every bounce, and Adams blocked -- that killed our inside work and forced Pendles, Treloar and Sidey to forego their usual outside role and try to muscle the ball. What we got was stacks on and congested stoppages, which the Giants wanted because it killed out run and handball game.

This is where we missed Beams and DeGoey badly. Because even with all the Giants dirty tricks, Jordy and Dayne break games open.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: