Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brodie Grundy's ruck work

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Wills couldn't get to the ball, he was wrapped in a bear hug the second the ball was bounced. Literally being held and blocked from getting to it. GWS tested the tactic to see if they could get away with it... and they did. Pendles same, several times held to the ground "accidentally" so he couldn't get up and contest the ball. I"d say we need to play dirtier, no more Mr Nice Guy character building bullshit -- but then we'd get pinged every single time.

We certainly need to be harder at the contest in the midfield. It was surprising that none of the mids really tried to be physical at the stoppages. They seem to expect Grundy to do it all for them. Even Adams was subdued, rather than throwing himself around.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Wills couldn't get to the ball, he was wrapped in a bear hug the second the ball was bounced. Literally being held and blocked from getting to it. GWS tested the tactic to see if they could get away with it... and they did. Pendles same, several times held to the ground "accidentally" so he couldn't get up and contest the ball. I"d say we need to play dirtier, no more Mr Nice Guy character building bullshit -- but then we'd get pinged every single time.

We certainly need to be harder at the contest in the midfield. It was surprising that none of the mids really tried to be physical at the stoppages. They seem to expect Grundy to do it all for them. Even Adams was subdued, rather than throwing himself around.

We have always played too fair.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:55 pm

It really is disappointing to have such a dominant ruckman but so little reward at ground level. The 3rd qtr was embarrassing watching Grundy tap pretty much everything and a Giants 2nd string midfield winning basically every clearance.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Sadly, it's been the same all season

Grundy gets 60+ hit outs, but we struggle with clearances.

Something isn't right

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:16 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Sadly, it's been the same all season

Grundy gets 60+ hit outs, but we struggle with clearances.

Something isn't right

With the lengthy discussion about this during the season, I don't think we ever identified what the problem is. It's either Brodie not directing his hit outs precisely enough to our mids or the mids not being in the positions to capitalize, or not being physically strong enough to break through the opposition. Possibly a bit of everything.

Who knows, but you would think that Robert Harvey and Bucks together would've sorted it, as both were exceptional centre players (as Bucks reminded us all at training this past week).
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 am

derkd wrote:
Grundy played an amazing game, they have to sign him.

And i couldn't give rats fat arse which one of those 21 other over-paid, under-performing numpties who allegedly played along side him today have to take a paycut in order to retain him.

Don't like it? There's the door...

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:40 am

Sam mitchel analysis perfect reflection of the issue
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Grundy is a great athlete, but not a smart player. It was obvious that he needed to smash the ball clear of packs to tour outside players in Pendles and Treloar, but instead he chose to tap it close in, allowing the Giants to swarm on it. Not good enough.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:27 pm

mgh3536 wrote:

Could you explain further mgh or post a link?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:42 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Grundy is a great athlete, but not a smart player. It was obvious that he needed to smash the ball clear of packs to tour outside players in Pendles and Treloar, but instead he chose to tap it close in, allowing the Giants to swarm on it. Not good enough.

He rucked exactly the same way he’s been instructed to ruck all season. It is not his fault that the mids are not good enough. Nor that the coaching remains poor.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:42 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I haven’t read anything else about the game as I couldn’t bear to do so. I have just read this topic as I came here knowing that someone would have started this topic.

I was watching the game at home with a Brisbane supporting mate who was barracking for a Pies win. It was also obvious to us that by continually tapping the ball to his feet Grundy was just running the clock down in the last few minutes and reducing the probability of us scoring the last goal. Tap out after tap out. Each one to the Giants advantage. I was waiting for the clearing punch or for him to at least try to grab the ball but it wasn’t attempted. I have never been so gutted by a result.

I don’t know if anyone has said this but the only way we were going to get a deep forward mark in all that congestion was if Howe was there. But as far as I could see he wasn’t.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Just winning hitouts means little unless they're to advantage.

Exhibit A, Freemantle. For years, Sandilands would dominate the hitouts but Freo would lose the centre clearances.

Exhibit B, melbourne this year with Gawn.

Whoever is our midfield coach needs to work on this as way too often the midfielders are flat footed rather than on the move and because it's so congested they get claimed.

i'd also like to see Grundy knock a few away from the congestion, but if they don't practice it so there's players running to position ready for it, it will just be handing the ball back, in space.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

He rucked exactly the same way he’s been instructed to ruck all season. It is not his fault that the mids are not good enough. Nor that the coaching remains poor.

I don't know if you are right or not. All I know is that his ruck craft is piss poor, given his ability to get first hand on the ball.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I haven’t read anything else about the game as I couldn’t bear to do so. I have just read this topic as I came here knowing that someone would have started this topic.

I was watching the game at home with a Brisbane supporting mate who was barracking for a Pies win. It was also obvious to us that by continually tapping the ball to his feet Grundy was just running the clock down in the last few minutes and reducing the probability of us scoring the last goal. Tap out after tap out. Each one to the Giants advantage. I was waiting for the clearing punch or for him to at least try to grab the ball but it wasn’t attempted. I have never been so gutted by a result.

Flicking around footy sites on the internet, this is a common observation 5 from the wing. Perhaps he was too nervous to punch it out, thinking that GWS would just grab it and clear it? In retrospect, it was a risk that needed taking, but that doesn't help much now.

What has also popped up both here and other sites is using Grundy as a mid at centre bounces. To be brutally honest, he wins the taps out, but they don't often benefit us. Cox to Grundy to running outside mid. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:17 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
mgh3536 wrote:

Could you explain further mgh or post a link?

It's in the Hun. Maybe someone can post quotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: