Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN is connected!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

NBN Co provides the modem, the retailer provides a router which plugs into it. This applies whether it is fibre or fixed wireless or anything in between.

But it's not a modem problem - the highest quality modem in the world won't stand up to 300 million volts when a lightning strike is channeled directly into your home by a copper cable which should have been torn out and replaced by non-conductive optical fibre years ago.

Telstra cable is HFC which is not bad technology, inferior to full fibre but roughly equivalent to fibre to the curb and better than ADSL. Like any other technology, it depends on how greedy they get stuffing extra lines onto the local loop.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:02 pm

OK, I'll bow to your superior knowledge. When I spoke to the bloke at the Telstra Shop, they supplied the modem for NBN which I just plugged in. only one piece of hardware, not 2.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Oh wait, you are on cable aren't you. That's a different system. My mistake. Cable probably still runs on the system where you have a single cable modem (not the same as a telephone modem or an optical modem). Wouldn't be much sense running it any other way really.

The usual arrangement with NBN is that they (NBN) are responsible for everything up to the connection that comes in through your wall and terminates in a little while box on an inside wall somewhere. That box is theirs too. Inside it is a modem. All of that is NBN Co's responsibility.

The Telco then provides you with a router which plugs into the NBN box. (Quite often the router they give you is actually a modem/router all-in-one, but it operates as a pure router because the output of the NBN box (which has a modem inside it) is Ethernet. You can actually plug a computer's network card straight in to it and it works. (But don't do that.)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 am

The NBN here is definitely faster. even the router that telstra sent is good. the holiday house isnt bad but i put a repeater in, coverage there for phones is shocking, and the locals whinge about the internet, i dont use it much there.
daughter finally got hers working last night, hers is different, there is an NBN box in the garage, i dont have that, no idea where it is!! not sure how good it is, shes still here most of the time!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 am

I had a look at the brochure I have. For fibre to the curb, which is what I get, I get all the hardware from Telstra. They give me a modem and a little NBN Connection box.

Connect the box to power and the phone line, connect the modem to that and away we go.

I'll wait until they tell me I have to.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:14 am

Little white box that plugs into the wall? That’s what I got. It’s super fast, 3 of us working from home
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 pm

I had optus broadband. I have 2 boxes: 1 NBN box and one modem from optus (cable)

All works well most of the time but we are not gamers. Occasionally but seldomly there’s a glitch. However it is old technology and the Feds should have done better than being the cheapskates they were & invested in better more up to date technology. The once elected and failed PM, the Mad Monks regime’s stuff up.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Tannin wrote:
Oh wait, you are on cable aren't you. That's a different system. My mistake. Cable probably still runs on the system where you have a single cable modem (not the same as a telephone modem or an optical modem). Wouldn't be much sense running it any other way really.

Yep, the Telstra hybrid cable comes in to a point on the skirting board, coax from there to a Y splitter, one length goes straight to the modem, the other to the Foxtel Box.

When I do cut over to NBN, I just need to connect it up as above and disconnect the cable modem, leaving the cable still going to the Foxtel box.

I just did a speedtest on this. https://www.speedtest.net/

6:20 pm, 115mbs download speed. I'm in no hurry to change.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Tannin wrote:
And today we see yet another massive expense flowing from the Liberals' idiotic NBN-on-the-cheap scheme.

The NBN has just had to replace 10,000 modems in the area west of Sydney. Trying to penny pinch, the Liberals refused to complete fibre optic installations in that area, insisting on slower, fault-prone, technically inferior boxes on the roadside from which the last few metres are done by stone age copper cable.

Result: the first big thunderstorm to hit a few of the cheapskate boxes sends a massive great spike up the copper wire and destroys 10,000 modems - yes that is ten thousand modems.

(If they had done it properly in the first place, no issue. Fibre optics, amongst their many other virtues, are immune to spikes. They don't care about flooding either. Or rust. Or higher data rates.

What loosers.

Nope. The above is incorrect. The Liberal Party's National Fraudband Shonky Do-it-on-the-Cheap Network has now had to replace 47,700 modems and associated devices. All because Morrison's mob went for the technically inferior, stone-age, unreliable copper option. Now they have to pay to replace 47,700 modems. Plus many, many more because there is no way this damage will stop. Not until they replace the network with the modern one we were going to get in the first place.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Got a link for that?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm

So lately my internet speed has dropped, significantly. I used to get over 100mbps on the Telstra cable, now I'm lucky to get 15 which when working from home is a PITA.

Since I'm due to get cut off in November if I don't go NBN, I bit the bullet and signed up. Simple change plans with Telstra, no Tech required (apparently), kit arrived by courier today. Little NBN box, new modem and cables.

I'll give it a go tomorrow morning at setting it all up, cant be buggered tonight plus I want Tech Support available if shit doesn't work. I hope my ethernet cable is long enough.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 am

Connected it all up this morning, Fibre to the Curb, easy as pie to do.

Everything working, only thing now is have to buy some new ethernet cables to connect the TV and stuff that doesn't work on WIFI.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: