Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN is connected!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Actually, the service obligation goes back to when Telecom split from the PMG and has been reiterated in various guises during the introduction of competition and privatisation.

I remember going out with a team of lineys in about 1986. One team was laying optical fibre cable to Sydney, the other was laying cable for a home telephone line to a house out back of Seymour in the middle of no where.

The guy who wanted the phone would be charged the standard connection fee whereas the cost to lay the cable to his house was over $20,000. In 1986.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Can you get nbn stand alone or does it come with a phone line?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Cheers Stui.

It still goes on, too. (As you would know only too well.) A family member recently had his landline go kaput. They had to re-cable it all the way from the road, and he's on a 7 acre block, well back, so that was a heap of trenching and backfilling. Two weeks after they finished the copper line repair (well, replacement really), the new NBN fixed wireless service in that district was switched on and, of course, he switched over to it that same day. So they spent ... oh .. probably two or three thousand dollars, maybe more, for two weeks' use.

Why couldn't they have said "Look, we will give you free mobile service with unlimited downloads for a month - hell for a year - in exchange for the inconvenience of not having a land line for a couple of weeks until the fixed wireless service switches on".

Doesn't work like that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:31 pm

TP - it depends on your service provider. Telstra (and various others) give you both whether you want a landline or not. Most telcos (maybe 80%) give you naked NBN if that's what you want, or both services, whichever you prefer. Technically, there is no difference: the fibre optic cable ...... sorry, you'll be getting some sort of low-rent copper line, thanks to Turnbul's idiotic penny pinching (he bears double blame as he wasn't just PM, before that he was Communications Minister) ... but be that as it may, everything on that line, voice calls, Internet, anything else, is simply digital data. So having a "phone line" really just means plugging in a handset at your end and the telco doing some stuff with switching and assigning a number.

In short, whichever you want, but depending on your choice of telco,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 am

cheers, ill call tomorrow - i might call the council for fun, apparently 5 of my fuckinthehead new neighbours have, the inspector called hubby and said "have you met your neighbours? they are all nuts!!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 am

https://www.theage.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/got-slow-nbn-ask-for-a-refund-consumer-watchdog-says-20190123-p50t2g.html

The cluster fck continues.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Mines all hooked up, very quick! (90 mbps)
The wifi has an awesome range and young Jess is loving the download speed. Unlimited data. Perfect.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 pm

so i must have signed up for standard plus! today the internet just quit! the nbn pack has been here since i was in Europe, the daughters BF was going to set it up, but yeah! still there! so i had no choice, unpacked it, unplugged things, swore a few times and ripped my heavy corner desk away from the wall with hulk power, and tidied it all up! And...it just worked!! 47mbps, 18.9mbp uploads, and 4 pings whatever that is!

and 10 imn after my blood pressure gets back to normal, and ive cleaned up the dust bunnies that were under the desk, Telstra auto calls and says 'you better connect now, we will be cutting off your adsl' well gee thankyou!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:51 pm

I've still got the Telstra Cable, no NBN for at least another 12 months.

I'm happy to wait, I just did a speed test,

102 mbps download (unlimited)
10 Pings
5.25 mbps upload.

I'll be staying with what I've got as long as I can.

The house up in Toc has NBN available, but not signing up. I got a Blue Ray player that has WIFI capability and use my mobile as a WIFI hotspot. That gets me Netflix painlessly.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm

I had Optus cable: great service

I have Optus NBN $60/month no issues except getting it set up. Once I've had to call Optus technical support who within 30 minutes took the call & guided me through steps needed.

The $60 deal was for existing Optus customers otherwise it's the $70 basic. We have a Fetch TV box which I use for recording but they supply a Fetch mini if you wanted. Also landline provided but we don't use one.

No probs so far. We're on a monthly contract.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I've still got the Telstra Cable, no NBN for at least another 12 months.

I'm happy to wait, I just did a speed test,

102 mbps download (unlimited)
10 Pings
5.25 mbps upload.

I'll be staying with what I've got as long as I can.

The house up in Toc has NBN available, but not signing up. I got a Blue Ray player that has WIFI capability and use my mobile as a WIFI hotspot. That gets me Netflix painlessly.

That’s incredible! I’m already on NBN and don’t even have 2mbps download speed (I think it hits about 1.8 at best). I guess I chose the cheaper plan, but it still seems a pretty damning indictment on it given what we were promised.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:54 pm

^

You're kidding right?

I get around 50 mbps on my Mobile up Toc over winter, I expect a lot less over summer when all the terrorists are there, and get 20 mbps second at home on the mobile when I turn the WIFI off.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Got connected at the holiday house this morning, it’s lightning fast! Now I just have to clean up the mud the bloody tradie trekked in! Went with flip, and it’s really good! Connected straight away.thats always gets me in a panic, but really just plug and play!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 pm

And today we see yet another massive expense flowing from the Liberals' idiotic NBN-on-the-cheap scheme.

The NBN has just had to replace 10,000 modems in the area west of Sydney. Trying to penny pinch, the Liberals refused to complete fibre optic installations in that area, insisting on slower, fault-prone, technically inferior boxes on the roadside from which the last few metres are done by stone age copper cable.

Result: the first big thunderstorm to hit a few of the cheapskate boxes sends a massive great spike up the copper wire and destroys 10,000 modems - yes that is ten thousand modems.

(If they had done it properly in the first place, no issue. Fibre optics, amongst their many other virtues, are immune to spikes. They don't care about flooding either. Or rust. Or higher data rates.

What loosers.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:40 pm

Ouch. Loosers indeed. Wink

How does NBN pick the modems? They're a wholesaler not a retailer, doesn't the retailer organise the modems?

but thanks for bumping this. I'm still on the Telstra cable. had fibre to the curb connected during Covid but I've got until at least late this year to move. I called into a Telstra Shop a month or so ago to talk about moving, the bloke there basically said to wait until you have to.

Works for me, I'm in no hurry to pay more money for an inferior service.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: