Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
... They eat the occasional bird? Ah well the rules of the jungle. ...

If the rules of the jungle apply, then everyone should be happy if a dog kills a cat.

Yes, that’s the problem. We like and care for animals as a function of how they interact with us.

Like TP, though, I hate doing anything to an animal that frustrates its natural instincts, as I suspect that so much denial of an animal’s will causes suffering. I am not overly sentimental about killing animals without suffering, and I’m afraid I struggle to get emotional about the deaths of pets etc, other than insofar as it obviously upsets the people who own them.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:
my cat has one of those bell collars and still kills the same amount of birds. she just waits and pounces.

Perhaps ours is a bit thick. It’s hard to tell with cats, they have such tiny brains. Never own anything with a brain cavity the size of a broad bean.

You've met my ex wife?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm

^ should’ve added “or venom sacs”.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Stray dogs are more a problem where I am. The cats tend to either be kept in cages here like rabbits or don't go too far from home. Tukky the wonder poodle decides which cats to growl at. Most of the birds here are Indian mynas and I would not care if they were wiped out. The Thais leave food out for the stray mutts who are rarely sterilised and it brings rats and cockroaches, The rats are nearly as big as the cats.

My 30 year old neice who is on 100K a year for being a PA to some Queensland Rail hotshot and has 2 kids and a Husband who is a an engineer. She asked me last year if they cats in Thailand. "Besides tigers, they have Siamese cats. She then asked me if they imported the tigers from Africa and the cats from Siam". I just walked away shaking her head. I am convinced Facebook and playschool are her only learning tools.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ should’ve added “or venom sacs”.

Luckily my kids weren't breast fed. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 am

Mugwump wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:

If the rules of the jungle apply, then everyone should be happy if a dog kills a cat.

Yes, that’s the problem. We like and care for animals as a function of how they interact with us.

Like TP, though, I hate doing anything to an animal that frustrates its natural instincts, as I suspect that so much denial of an animal’s will causes suffering. I am not overly sentimental about killing animals without suffering, and I’m afraid I struggle to get emotional about the deaths of pets etc, other than insofar as it obviously upsets the people who own them.

Gees my favourite horse died when my eldest was five months old, so 23 years ago, occasionally I dream about him, and it’s so real, I get tears when I wake up and he’s gone! It’s worth it though, to have him back for a little while! He was a special little fellow, stolen from the knackery, and we won the bending at the Aussie champs at Werribee Park. I don’t think I’m overly sentimental though! Does giving maxes urn a kiss in the morning mean anything?? And I cried buckets when I left Mischief and Jessie buried at my old house, I tried to dig them up but they were dust. (Yep really) I have some of the dirt in a planter out the back, and it’s had gold fish added, plus dead bugs I’ve used for macro pics, we call it the pet cemetery! Nope not sentimental at all! Hang on, Molly’s blankly just fell off my bed!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:02 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:

If the rules of the jungle apply, then everyone should be happy if a dog kills a cat. And I don't think the cats actually eat the birds. They just kill for the pleasure of killing. Do they eat the mice they catch?

Oh, and it's not occasional, either... Apparently it's literally hundreds of thousands of birds per year in the US.

Not what I meant. I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 am

think positive wrote:
I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.

I see. What is a "cat run"? It's possible to restrict them to inside the house, but is it possible to keep them in the backyard when they have climbing skills?

Are there currently any laws protecting the birds from cats?? As far as I'm aware, no cat owner or cat has ever been held responsible for roaming in public and killing birds.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 am

My Mum has a cat run for very expensive cat. It can be moved around. A cross between a tent and a fernhouse. Lightweight and you just move it around the yard and throw a scratching pole, a toy and some food and water in and let it go.

As said a well fed cat kills for sport.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am

Should we eradicate would-be cat-eradicators?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 am

We used to trap them and kill them when I worked at Argyle, the site I work at now and the one prior, the enviros have the pleasure.

We rigged up this big esky to a CO2 bottle and used that.

I tell you what, some of these beasts are massive!

My old mate dirty, he had a fishing rod with a big hook and used to catch 'em at the tip that way. A baseball bat was his weapon of choice.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.

I see. What is a "cat run"? It's possible to restrict them to inside the house, but is it possible to keep them in the backyard when they have climbing skills?

Are there currently any laws protecting the birds from cats?? As far as I'm aware, no cat owner or cat has ever been held responsible for roaming in public and killing birds.

And who holds the birds responsible for the creatures they kill? Do you think birds eat grass? Rolling Eyes
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

Skids wrote:
We used to trap them and kill them when I worked at Argyle, the site I work at now and the one prior, the enviros have the pleasure.

We rigged up this big esky to a CO2 bottle and used that.

I tell you what, some of these beasts are massive!

My old mate dirty, he had a fishing rod with a big hook and used to catch 'em at the tip that way. A baseball bat was his weapon of choice.

Charming. What a beautiful little story.
Wouldn't expect anything less.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Should we eradicate would-be cat-eradicators?

Oh please yes. Can we start a poll??
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:

Google it and click images!

People build all sorts of elaborate runs that go in and out the house! Some just fence in the side of the house. It’s not hard. Just takes responsibility.

Same as is council requirement for dangerous dogs. It’s actually not legal in many municipalities to allow cats to roam off your property.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cat+run&client=safari&hl=en-au&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi41e3ggZvcAhVBn5QKHWOCDUcQ_AUIESgB&biw=320&bih=445&dpr=2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: