Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 22 Under 22 team - the next generation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm
Post subject: The 22 Under 22 team - the next generationReply with quote

The AA22 Under 22 team is an honorary representative Australian rules football team created by the AFL Players' Association that seeks to recognise the best young talent in the Australian Football League (AFL) competition each year. To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 or under for the entire AFL season (including finals). An initial squad of 40 is selected by the AFL Players' Board before fans select a final team of 22 by voting via social media.

2012 team
Jeremy Howe (Melbourne)
Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood)

Dayne Beams (Collingwood)

2013 team

2014 team
Tom Langdon (Collingwood)
Jamie Elliott (Collingwood)

Adam Treloar (Greater Western Sydney)
Jarrod Witts (Collingwood)

2015 team

Brodie Grundy (Collingwood)
Tom Langdon (Collingwood) i/c

2016 team
Darcy Moore (Collingwood)

Jack Crisp (Collingwood) squad only
Brayden Maynard (Collingwood) squad only

2017 team
nil
Darcy Moore (Collingwood) squad only

Phillips will get in this year bar injury.
Scharenberg, Stephenson & De Goey are chances to be added to that list this year, but there�s plenty of competition for their respective spots. Maynard potentially in the mix but he'll need another 6 games of elevated performance like the last 2 weeks.
At worst, Stephenson will be odds-on for this years rising star if he keeps going at his current clip.

12 players in our current side have achieved selection at that level. Not a bad nucleus for the next decade.

I find it no coincidence that the Pies have placed U22 All as foundations got the core of our list, and gradually have topped up the deficiencies, e.g. going after Howe and potentially Lynch (in the 2015 side) makes sense.
As you can see, the glaring holes are our front end. (on a U22 All Australian basis).

However, we�ve found WHE, Thomas to fill those roles and they�re still young enough.

Next crop of players under 25 ~
� Crisp 24
� WHE 24
. Adams 24

Then those that are still eligible going forward.
. Phillips 22
. Moore 22
� Aish 22 (was on track to be in contention for this list)
� JDG 22
� Maynard 21
� Sier 20
� Murray 20
� C Brown 20
. McLarty 20
� Daicos 19
� Appleby 19
� M Lynch 19
� Murphy 18
� T Brown 18

B: Langdon Maynard
HB : Howe Moore Scharenberg
C: Phillips De Goey
HF:
F: Elliott Stephenson

Rucks
Grundy
Sidebottom
Treloar

*the average AFL player salary edged past the $350,000 mark in 2017, that figure improved slightly ($379,697) among players who managed to take to the field at the highest level.
The minimum salary for players beyond their second season has been set at $100,000.
*The player salary cap goes to $12.45m in 2017. Then it increases by 1.2% in 2018 so call it $12.6 and it keeps rising by that % out to 2022.
Only 9 players pocketed between $800,000 and $900,000 in 2017, up from five in 2016.
Pendles is one of the 9.

Guesstimates on what we're paying the following (don't get too caught up in this, but they're simply back of the envelope calculations) -

Sidey $750k, WHE $400k, Stephenson $300k, Moore $300k, Howe $600k, Crisp $450k, Dunn $500k, Langdon $400k, Maynard, $350k, Scharenberg $350k, Varcoe $450k, Wells $400k, Mayne $500k, Elliott $400k, Reid $350k, Thomas $300k, Adams $450k, Phillips $350k, Treloar $750k, Grundy $750k that�s $9.1m.

Then we need to spread $1.5-$2.0m amongst 8 players to top up some juniors and a couple of �trades� on the list�it can be done. That�s 250k average which some of them won�t get anywhere near. Wells' contract will end at the end of next year so there's some serious $$$ to go into the pool.
Father-son and Academy players Kelly and Quaynor will need to be secured.

Interesting trading period ahead to say the least. Won't surprise me if we go after anyone else, they'll have come out of the AA22 list.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:55 pm; edited 8 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in hell I'd offer Lynch $1.5M per season.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Too much info. Confused
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Agree, ludicrous if we do.
But with salary cap increases coming in over the next 5 years, were going to see some some eye watering contracts signed. e.g. Franklin type deals for marquee players.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Too much info. Confused
Maybe, but I try to avoid being one of those members whom over-posts without objective feedback.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:

He's not worth that for 3 years.
Over rated big time.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Hmmm... Orange seems to be more effective a colour choice than I expected.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Its the ones who can get selected twice in this team that form the backbone of your premiership tilt. We have 4.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Its the ones who can get selected twice in this team that form the backbone of your premiership tilt. We have 4.

In terms of under 35's we'd have a fair few to be selected.

surfer1 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 am

So you think Moore is gone?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Too much info. Confused
Maybe, but I try to avoid being one of those members whom over-posts without objective feedback.

Good on ya mate. I guess my attention span on Nicks is very limited. My comment was a statement about me, not you LH. Cool
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm

surfer1 wrote:
So you think Moore is gone?

In short, no. I don't believe Moore is going anywhere unless he has requested it. i.e. we're not looking to trade him, based on the pedigrees of AA U22 we've acquired/built through the younger ranks. I reckon there's a foundation being built here and he'll be part of it.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm
Post subject: Re: The 22 Under 22 team - the next generationReply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
The 22 Under 22 team is an honorary representative Australian rules football team created by the AFL Players' Association that seeks to recognise the best young talent in the Australian Football League (AFL) competition each year. To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 or under for the entire AFL season (including finals). An initial squad of 40 is selected by the AFL Players' Board, before fans select a final team of 22 by voting via social media.

2012 team
Jeremy Howe (Melbourne)

Dayne Beams (Collingwood)

2013 team

2014 team
Tom Langdon (Collingwood)
Jamie Elliott (Collingwood)

Jarrod Witts (Collingwood)

2015 team

Tom Langdon (Collingwood) i/c

2016 team
Darcy Moore (Collingwood)

Phillips will get in this year bar injury.
Scharenberg, Stephenson & De Goey are chances to be added to that list this year, but theres plenty of competition for their respective spots. Maynard potentially in the mix but he'll need another 6 games of elevated performance like the last 2 weeks.
At worst, Stephenson will be odds on for this years rising star if he keeps going at his current clip.

12 players in our current side have achieved selection at that level. Not a bad nucleus for the next decade.

I find it no co-incidence that the Pies have placed U22 All as foundations got the core of our list, and gradually have topped up the deficiencies, e.g. going after Howe and potentially Lynch (in the 2015 side) makes sense.
As you can see, the glaring holes are, our front end. (on a U22 All Australian basis).

However, weve found WHE,Thomas to fill those roles and theyre still young enough.

Next crop of players under 25 ~
Crisp 24
WHE 24
. Adams 24
Then those that are still eligible going forward.
Aish 22 (was on track to be in contention for this list)
JDG 22
Maynard 21
Sier 20
Murray 20
C Brown 20
. McLarty 20
Daicos 19
Appleby 19
M Lynch 19
Murphy 18
T Brown 18

B: Langdon Maynard
HB : Howe Moore Scharenberg
C: Phillips De Goey
HF:
F: Elliott Stephenson

Rucks
Grundy
Sidebottom
Treloar

So, where to free up the money for trading (est. on what they're on) ~
Oxley $150k
Fasolo $350k
Goldsack $350k
Blair $300k
Smith $175k
Crocker $150k
Kirby $100k
Broomhead $275k
= $1.85m. Give it to Lynch and De Goey. Thatd leave us $10.8m to manage our list*

So, lets say we free up $1.85m from the above. $300k goes to De Goey to get him to $500-600k tops p.a X 3 years.
Forget the $750k- $1m being 'thrown around', wont happen. The only way it goes above $600k is if e.g. St Kilda or North go hard, but they risk undermining their list for seasons if he broke down or doesnt come up to expectations.
The average AFL wage is now north of $370,000 per year, so $500,000 is probably pretty close to the mark for what a top-five draft pick should be looking to make in his fifth season of AFL football. Still, hes not in the Oliver, Sheil, Prestia, OMeara Wines class, just yet.

How might the Lynch deal play out?
We offer $1.5m to Lynch. Suns will struggle to match it as theyve got a crop of 1st round draft picks thatll be asking for plenty of significant pay rises.
Not sure what our plan B is but Im sure the Pies know what the Suns are prepared to offer and in turn trump it. Or whom else will they look at, Tom Lynch from Adelaide?

*the average AFL player salary edged past the $350,000 mark in 2017, that figure improved slightly ($379,697) among players who managed to take to the field at the highest level.
The minimum salary for players beyond their second season has been set at $100,000.
*The player salary cap goes to $12.45m in 2017. Then it increases by 1.2% in 2018 so call it $12.6 and it keeps rising by that % out to 2022.
Only 9 players pocketed between $800,000 and $900,000 in 2017, up from five in 2016.
Pendles is one of the 9.

Guesstimates on what we're paying the following (don't get too caught up in this, but they're back of the envelope calculations -

Sidey $750k, WHE $400k, Stephenson $300k, Howe $600k, Crisp $450k, Dunn $500k, Langdon $400k, Maynard, $400k, Scharenberg $350k,Varcoe $450k, Wells $400k, Mayne $500k, Elliott $400k, Reid $350k, Thomas $300k, Adams $450k, Phillips $300k, Treloar $750k, Grundy $750k thats $8.4m.

Then we need to spread $1.5-$2.0m amongst 8 players to top up some juniors and a couple of trades on the listit can be done. Thats 250k average which some of them wont get anywhere near. Well contract will end at the end of next year so there's some serious $$$ to go into the pool.

Interesting trading period ahead to say the least. Won't surprise me if we go after anyone else, they'll have come out of the AA22 list.

Love a well researched article!

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Oxley $150k
Fasolo $350k
Goldsack $350k
Blair $300k
Smith $175k
Crocker $150k
Kirby $100k
Broomhead $275k
= $1.85m. Give it to Lynch and De Goey. Thatd leave us $10.8m to manage our list*

So, lets say we free up $1.85m from the above. $300k goes to De Goey to get him to $500-600k tops p.a X 3 years.
Forget the $750k- $1m being 'thrown around', wont happen. The only way it goes above $600k is if e.g. St Kilda or North go hard, but they risk undermining their list for seasons if he broke down or doesnt come up to expectations.

We offer $1.5m to Lynch. Suns will struggle to match it as theyve got a crop of 1st round draft picks thatll be asking for plenty of significant pay rises.
Not sure what our plan B is but Im sure the Pies know what the Suns are prepared to offer and in turn trump it. Or whom else will they look at, Tom Lynch from Adelaide?

You've cut 8 players from the list and brought 1 in (Lynch). That's 7 spots you need to fill on a minimum of $100k each (700k worth of spuds).

You therefore only have $1.15million to offer deGoey and Lynch. If you are giving deGoey an extra 300k, then you can only offer Lynch $850k

If Wells leaves then that frees up $500k. You'd need to fill his spot nice and cheaply so there's another player 100k on the list. But you can now offer Lynch $1.25 mil which should get you close.

You will have 8 new faces at the club on 100k. That's a looooooooooot of dribblers.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Geek wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
Oxley $150k
Fasolo $350k
Goldsack $350k
Blair $300k
Smith $175k
Crocker $150k
Kirby $100k
Broomhead $275k

We offer $1.25m to Lynch. Suns will struggle to match it as theyve got a crop of 1st round draft picks thatll be asking for plenty of significant pay rises.

You've cut 8 players from the list and brought 1 in (Lynch). That's 7 spots you need to fill on a minimum of $100k each (700k worth of spuds).

You therefore only have $1.15million to offer deGoey and Lynch. If you are giving deGoey an extra 300k, then you can only offer Lynch $850k

If Wells leaves then that frees up $500k. You'd need to fill his spot nice and cheaply so there's another player 100k on the list. But you can now offer Lynch $1.25 mil which should get you close.

You will have 8 new faces at the club on 100k. That's a looooooooooot of dribblers.

So you want to pass on father son and draft academy prospects as well?

Issac Quaynor is in part of our Next Generation Academy prospect who is eligible to join the club at the end of this year if he nominates. He's not playing in the U18 Championships at the moment as he's out injured.
We will have an opportunity to have first crack at Quaynor should he nominate for the draft, under the recently developed NGA (Next Generation Academy) system, where similar to father-son players the Pies will have to match a bid for Quaynor should we want him.
The Collingwood supporter falls into the multicultural academy, with his father hailing from Ghana.
That's also why I want a clean out of that 'back-end' of our list.

If Quaynor and key position defender Will Kelly continue on their path, we'll need to clear some spots to get our draft day points up in order to secure them if they go early.
They're a couple of 'spuds & dribblers' I'd happily pay the AFL minimum wage of $100k to. Or do you just let them go, based on whatever alternative theory you're going to put forward. As you and I don't know what we pay the players, only the over cap, we can only speculate around that.

If, and if, Lynch came down to Pie land is hell need to work a 5-10 year contract and it'll be clearly up,there. I've no idea what they'll pay him - maybe $1.25 to $1.5m for stages of his contract, but it'll be up there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: