Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://stream.org/christine-blasey-fords-lies-and-the-father-of-lies/

Pretty much everything she said was a lie. Kavanaugh and the Republicans were too scared to go after her, and the media outright failed in what is meant to be its job of exposing the truth, both of which are a sad indictment on our society.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:28 pm

David wrote:
^ Is there any evidence that the Kavanaugh allegations were fake? Whether they should have been weaponised as a way to discredit his appointment is a fair question, but I've never seen any reason to think that Ford's allegation, at least, was actually spurious.

The same goes for many of the claims about Trump; accusations of political bias can only go so far, and, after all, we have him on tape more or less bragging about doing stuff like this (among other things). I think it's objectively likely, on the balance of evidence, that he was a serial sexual offender. So while the media should obviously exercise caution and not uncritically broadcast every allegation made without investigation, I also don't think it's right to ignore them or put them in the too-hard basket. Alleged crimes committed by the President in earlier life are absolutely newsworthy.

yeah not often i agree with your US views, but on trump, no doubt in my mind hes been up to some questionable stuff, sex wise businesswise, you name it!

he is fascinating, but gees, at least Bill was kinda cute!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:56 pm

^

Not sure if Blue is his colour though.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/14/epstein-had-bizarre-painting-of-bill-clinton-in-dress-heels-in-townhouse/

K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:36 pm

David wrote:
^ Is there any evidence that the Kavanaugh allegations were fake? Whether they should have been weaponised as a way to discredit his appointment is a fair question, but I've never seen any reason to think that Ford's allegation, at least, was actually spurious.

The other thing ignored is that positions of great power like judges should require higher standards. If there's not enough legal evidence to charge them with serious crimes, but there's no doubt they were guilty of more minor misdemeanours, like underage drinking, that should still disqualify them from the job. No one is entitled to be a judge just because there's not enough historical proof that he's a monster.

e.g.

Victoria's chief coroner Sara Hinchey quits after being cleared of taking alcohol from workplace

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-27/victorias-chief-coroner-sara-hinchey-quits-her-job/11452126

Cleared, but still gone.

Earlier article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/victorian-coroner-sara-hinchey-could-lose-job-investigation/10981800

"Another four allegations have been referred to County Court Chief Judge Peter Kidd to deal with.

They include:

A complaint Judge Hinchey removed her own skirt and persuaded a former senior employee to try it on during a meeting
An allegation she frequently swore during meetings with senior staff
An allegation that she encouraged and filmed staff performing suggestive dance moves"
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm

K wrote:
David wrote:

The other thing ignored is that positions of great power like judges should require higher standards. If there's not enough legal evidence to charge them with serious crimes, but there's no doubt they were guilty of more minor misdemeanours, like underage drinking, that should still disqualify them from the job. No one is entitled to be a judge just because there's not enough historical proof that he's a monster.

e.g.

Victoria's chief coroner Sara Hinchey quits after being cleared of taking alcohol from workplace

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-27/victorias-chief-coroner-sara-hinchey-quits-her-job/11452126

Cleared, but still gone.

Hang on, am I misreading that? Did you just write that being able to establish that someone drank alcohol while they were under 18 should prevent them from being a judge?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Her Honour Judge Hinchey resigned from the position of Coroner only. She is still a County Court judge, I believe.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 pm

I absolutely believe in sanctions for workplace misconduct, K, up to and including dismissal. I’m less sure that I agree with the idea of dredging up legal officials’ past in order to render them ineligible for a job, unless it might reasonably be considered to compromise their ability to perform their role. I’m not sure that was the case here.

I haven’t written much about this, but I actually found the Kavanaugh stuff rather troubling – it seemed like the allegations were being quite tactically deployed, and wonder how people might have reacted if it had been a left-wing judge seeking confirmation. The extreme politicisation of supreme court nominations in the US is pretty alarming all round.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Her Honour Judge Hinchey resigned from the position of Coroner only. She is still a County Court judge, I believe.

Another case, with a quote by Magpie QC DG:

Opposition urges watchdog to investigate magistrate over clerk romance

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/opposition-urges-watchdog-to-investigate-magistrate-over-clerk-romance-20191024-p533um.html

"Shadow attorney-general Edward O’Donohue has written to the Judicial Commission of Victoria...

"Judicial officers hold a very high and important office within the Victorian community and the standards of conduct and integrity to which they are held, are so much higher."

Respected Melbourne lawyer David Galbally, QC, previously told Seven News the most appropriate thing for Mr Higgins to do would be to step down.

“I’m not sure how any barrister can appear with any degree of confidence before him believing that any decision that is going to be made is going to be made by him and him alone,” he said."
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:59 am

McDonald's fires CEO over relationship with employee

"...consensual relationship with an employee against company policy..."

(Could go in several VPT threads.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:29 am

^ But probably not this one, right? Consensual relationships with subordinates may breach company policy, but I don't think they belong in the same ballpark with discussions about sexual harassment (and I found it strange that, when a similar thing happened in the AFL a couple of years back, McLachlan didn't quite seem to understand that difference).
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm

It could easily go in the personal behaviour v employment one, but it does sort of fit here when you think about a company like McDonalds and why they'd put a policy like this in place.

Companies don't normally make a policy like this because someone woke up cranky one day. Maccas employs a lot of young people and have hierarchy's within stores with young people reporting to young and older people. I'd be highly surprised if they hadn't had a number of issues over the years with staff relationships which led to the ban

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Not that I’d usually advocate for double standards, but I feel like there’s a world of difference between mostly teenage minimum-wage shop workers and corporate head office (which is probably indistinguishable from any other corporate head office).

It’s not that I don’t understand the policy – obviously, relationships between subordinates and superiors carry risks of favouritism, conflict of interest and power imbalance (along with all the other potential bad outcomes if things go pear-shaped). That’s why, I think, the best company policies in this area are those that suggest disclosure and, in cases where one member of the couple is directly reporting to another, a move to another department or branch. I think firing is kind of draconian, unless some of the problems mentioned above have actually transpired.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

You want to try to avoid double standards, so if it's good enough to be applied at the shop it's good enough for the corporate area.

Keep in mind, as a CEO he wasn't actually "sacked", he'll receive a payout.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:06 am

20 years ago a lieutenant got engaged to a 2 star General. They told her and him one of them should resign. His next posting was to NATO based in Rome for 3 years basically on the cocktail circuit so he wasn't getting out.

She tried making waves but the CDF and Minister had a coffee with them and explained that as a diplomatic posting it would e custom for her to be addressed by all military personnel below his rank as maam. In addition there was resentment , mainly from the senior female officers, that she was entitled
to a driver and business class travel . They returned to Canberra later and gave her a few honorary positions like army wives association president.

Each organisation has rules for reason and Stui has nailed it.I doubt maccas are going to start sacking kids for pashing in the carpark.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:20 am

The Daily Telegraph abandons claims that Geoffrey Rush trial judge appeared to be biased

https://www.theage.com.au/national/geoffrey-rush-trial-judge-appeared-to-be-biased-newspaper-claims-in-appeal-20191104-p53795.html

"On Monday morning, the newspaper's barrister Tom Blackburn, SC, told the full court of the Federal Court that a combination of matters gave rise to an apprehension of bias.

However, several hours later, he asked for a 10-minute adjournment and returned at 3.45pm to say the apprehended bias part of the appeal was no longer pressed. He subsequently agreed it had been "abandoned"."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 29 of 37   

Jump to: