Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Cats - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

John LEWIN wrote:
I am open minded about the Senior Coach appointment, maybe that open-mindedness is a problem for some, however, the question is;was it a coaching failure today or a combination of a lack of personnel and an exceptionally talented player who carried Geelong over the line. If you read the expert commentary it seems to come down on the side of the latter.

You clearly weren't at the game.

I love Bucks...but even I know how to be objective.

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 am

Why don't you address the question and explain yourself if you take the opposite view to expert commentators who suggest that Dangerfield won it for them?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:50 am

Forget today aside from the fact that we lost.
Look at the results for th last 6 years. Downhill skiers all the way. We went down hill faster than Alisa Camplin. Now pretend the coaches name is John Doe, and he has never pulled on the boots for Collingwood. Does he still have a job tomorrow?

Nope.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:00 am

The first quarter was excellent, but after that it was a dull performance from the team. We reverted back to our over-possessing game style and we didn't seem to have any answers to Geelong's gradual comeback.

In the final quarter, I can't recall us entering the attacking 50 very often, so it was only a matter of time before Geelong pinched the game from us. Geelong were not impressive in their own right, and I don't see them going very far in the final series if today was anything to go by.

We were missing various players that would have definitely helped us when the game was on the line, but I'm resigned to the fact that the club now has one eye on next year and are going to send players with any injury niggles off to surgery or to rest for the remainder of the season.

In an odd way, it was difficult to get a gauge on this game. On the one hand, we only lost by 11 points, so the margin was far from bad in that respect especially with us missing up to potentially eight regular senior players, but our game style in the last three quarters was awful. There was no flair, we over possessed it yet again and we were devoid of any creativity in our game style.

Despite it being close, I never felt were were going to come back after Dangerfield kicked that goal outside 50 to put the Cats in front with about nine minutes to spare.

In terms of individuals, I thought Mason Cox's game was outstanding. I'm enjoying the natural improvements of Langdon and Scharenberg as they begin to string more games together. On the other side of the ledger, Blair and Smith were disappointing and Phillips had a stinker of a game despite having 26 disposals.

I know others are not fond of Phillips, but I think he's a player with much upside, but his disposal is the biggest concern going forward and something that will require improvement if he is to be a long-term proposition for the club. I'm a fan of his, but I do understand the concerns from his critics.

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:06 am

think positive wrote:
Look at the results for th last 6 years. Downhill skiers all the way. We went down hill faster than Alisa Camplin. Now pretend the coaches name is John Doe, and he has never pulled on the boots for Collingwood. Does he still have a job tomorrow?

Nope.

We've endured six years of consistent decline, which is unprecedented in VFL/AFL history and which spans over the course of 120 years. I did a little research in my spare time last week and found out that we're enduring the longest duration of decline that the game has ever seen. If we lose to Melbourne next week, the streak will extend to seven years.

Three other teams have endured five consecutive years of decline which includes Melbourne (1929-1933), South Melbourne (1946-1950) and the Bulldogs (1998-2003), but none have ever endured six years of constant decline year after year.

I think much of this can be attributed to the fact that our decline has been gradual rather than rapid, and we've never bottomed out in the strict sense of the word. It goes some way to explaining why everyone on Nicks is beginning to lose their mind as frustration and anger begins to take over.

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 am

We face a selection dilemma next week...how can we drop Cox after this performance to make way for Brodie? Playing both has not worked in the past, but we saw a new Mason Cox today. A Mason Cox who is now clunks contested marks. I say play both in the same team.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:10 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
We face a selection dilemma next week...how can we drop Cox after this performance to make way for Brodie? Playing both has not worked in the past, but we saw a new Mason Cox today. A Mason Cox who is now clunks contested marks. I say play both in the same team.

It's a radical thought, but part of me feels we should rest Brodie and get him ready for season 2018 rather than risk any potential injury to him.

Instead we should allow Mason to play again as the lone ruckman.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:11 am

Jezza wrote:

We've endured six years of consistent decline, which is unprecedented in VFL/AFL history and which spans over the course of 120 years. I did a little research in my spare time last week and found out that we're enduring the longest duration of decline that the game has ever seen. If we lose to Melbourne next week, the streak will extend to seven years.

Three other teams sides have endured five consecutive years of decline which includes Melbourne (1929-1933), South Melbourne (1946-1950) and the Bulldogs (1998-2003), but none have ever endured six years of constant decline year after year.

I think much of this can be attributed to the fact that our decline has been gradual rather than rapid, and we've never bottomed out in the strict sense of the word. It goes some way to explaining why everyone on Nicks is beginning to lose their mind as frustration and anger begins to take over.

This is a frightening statistic, and is further empirical evidence of the need to find a new coach. I hope the board is aware of this statistic when it makes its decision in two days.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:14 am

John LEWIN wrote:
Why don't you address the question and explain yourself if you take the opposite view to expert commentators who suggest that Dangerfield won it for them?

I mentioned that Geelong are a sub par team and Dangerfield won it for them.

The result is irrelevant to me. We could have easily won. WHE kicks truly in the last and who knows.

But it's not just this game in isolation.

It's a pattern over 4+ years of...

You know what, I don't need to explain myself to a noob on this forum. Read over my posts this year and you'll find enough.

When commentators are still scratching their heads at what our 'brand' or 'style' is, after 6 years with the same coach? You know there's an issue.

I've never bashed Buckley or reverted to name calling. His combination of player selection, player retention (that is, not dropping constant ball butchering culprits), end to end uncontested goals, dysfunctional forward line...enough is enough.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:22 am

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Did Collingwood have such limp wristed, whinging, bitching, moaning, sooky La la supporters in the past or is this a new phenomena?

We lost by a couple of goals to a side currently second on the ladder with 7 of our best 22 unavailable for selection including many of our experienced players. You clowns have no idea.

I'm disappointed, but really, common, we had 7 or 8 absolute key players sidelined, if only 1 had played, say Grundy, we would have won. It is what it is, take 7 top players outa ANY team, and theyd struggle to win. Fact.

Surprised

You also need to look at the opposition sometimes. They were missing Selwood, Blicavs, Hawkins so put our guys in and also theirs and where does that leave things? Those 3 are critical to their structure so the injury excuse is fine as long as you assess the opposition also.

only Hawkins and duckwood are really good, that's it. That's two to our eight or so, and pendles, greenwood, varcoe, wells, would have made a very significant difference, no doubt of it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am

slangman wrote:
Geez we have 5-8 players who are not good enough.
A clean out of poorly skilled players is priority no. 1.

Phillips, Blair, Broomhead, Smith all passengers....again

Phillips was our equal highest possession player for the game, so I can't see how you can call him a passenger.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 am

It is significant that regardless of personnel, we play the same nothing brand of football and lose honourably.
Then In press conferences we hang our hat on honourable losses - highlighting losing margins. The coach is virtually playing to lose to avoid a blow out in many games this year
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

The season is done, rest Grundy start early on next year, play Cox reward for a great game, build his confidence. Unfortunately sentiment doesn't seem to come into it with Bucks, he doesn't believe in building confidence this way.

Ok ok ok yes he will still play Blair on sentiment!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 am

Jezza wrote:
think positive wrote:

Nope.

Three other teams sides have endured five consecutive years of decline which includes Melbourne (1929-1933), South Melbourne (1946-1950) and the Bulldogs (1998-2003), but none have ever endured six years of constant decline year after year.

How deprsssing. No wonder people hardly Bat an eyelid when you say "Collingwood is my team" now. We are just plain unrated. And no wonder.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 am

RudeBoy wrote:
slangman wrote:
Geez we have 5-8 players who are not good enough.
A clean out of poorly skilled players is priority no. 1.

Phillips, Blair, Broomhead, Smith all passengers....again

Phillips was our equal highest possession player for the game, so I can't see how you can call him a passenger.

Jezza is spot on in my opinion. I couldn't have written a better summary of the game. Phillips may have had 26 possessions but he butchered half of them. Then we come to Smith. Elliot is a forward who relies on people upfield to feed him the ball. You have a guy like Smith who can't hit the side of a barn door. If I was Elliot I would have walked off the field at half time with the delivery he was getting. Now we come to Blair. Like Smith, Blair is a star at VFL level. However at AFL level he can't beat an opponent unless he's on his own 30m from goal to receive a dead eye pass.

Now we come to Dangerfield. It's true as others are saying that he won the game for Geelong. But we had Treloar on him for a lot of the game and Treloar was ok. Adams had an outstanding game and Cox was an ample replacement for Grundy. Daicos made an outstanding debut and Brown is going to be a gun player for us. It's true we miss Pendlebury and De Goey but every team has players who are out.

So why did we lose? You could see the game turning in the second quarter when we started butchering the ball. In AFL footy you're dead meat when you turn over the ball. It's as simple as that. We continue to play certain players who butcher the ball and we pay the price, until at some point the club has to realise you can't continue to play these type of players. We had a clean out at the end of last season when we cleared out a number of players who turn over the football. Why we ever recruited these players in the first place I have no idea. There's still a few players to clear out at the end of this season and then we should be right, but I'm not sure we have the right football department to take us forward next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: