Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents; Sidebottom was 19 years old and over the 2 GF's in 2010, was right up there. Daisy was the other I thought was great in both games. Had we won the draw, he could very well be a Norm Smith medallist.

Only 16 other men have played more games for this club. By the end of the year, it could be less than 8. We need to show some more respect for a champion of the club we support.

However, I also feel like many haven't and wont forgive him for leaving the club last year to be with his wife for the birth of their first child. Even the fantastic Jaqui Felgate reported that Sidebottom has walked away from the club and left our finals hopes in a disaster. But then the fantastic Jaqui Felgate also said Jamie Cripps was such a great man when he left West Coast for the exact same reason, what 2 weeks later?

And of course there was the embarrassing episode where he was roaming around the streets half naked and drunk as a skunk. Many people are sick of these of field distractions and expect far better from a vice-captain. And there are many that won't forgive him for that either.

We shouldn't be hanging onto players if they are no longer an asset to the team and just because someone is a club champion doesn't mean we should allow him to keep playing. Sure, he is now 30+ and not the player he once was. But he is still in our best 22. Do we want to delist everyone over 26 or should we just play 22 teenagers? If those teenagers are as good as Sidey was when he was 19, then yeah lets do it.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
IMO Sidebottom's talent has clearly been wasted in the midfield when he should have been a fwd pocket his whole career, thankfully its not too late to rectify that.

Oh it might be, the boss ain’t gonna move him any time soon, maybe the new boss will.

For the first 10 years of his career, why would you put a skilful endurance athlete in the forward pocket when he remains dependent upon supply from further up the ground. It’s not like he’s disgraced himself as an outside midfielder with two B and Fs. Certain players strengths fit specific roles better than others. Skill / talent mixed with gut running endurance is made for the midfield.
Having said that, now that our midfield is preparing for a regeneration of sorts, I can see the benefits of him spending the last couple years up forward and offering up some much needed on field leadership in the front half.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Presti I don’t begrudge him staying home with his newborn and partner
What I had the shits with was the lies
The morning he was due to depart he spoke to both Pendles and bucks and also had a training program for quarantine sent through and indicated he was coming back
The club found out he wasn’t going when he didn’t arrive in Darwin that’s the absolute facts
The club to save further embarrassment as usual under Eddie’s watch fed us all some propaganda to make it seem legit
I can tell you with 1000% certainty that’s exactly what happened and there was several meetings in the preseason that weren’t happy places to be with the coach captain and Sidey
Watch the body language between Pendles and Sidey closely now it’s clear to see there’s still some angst there
The same person who told me in December 2019 Langdon’s knee was shot and he wouldn’t play again (for which I was accused of being a hater and he was going to be fine and carrying on his career) has told me the Sidey saga
Mate I can remember you reporting what the club reported on Langdon starting with soreness then like 2-4 weeks then 4-6 weeks I said very early on within a month the club wanted him to have a operation he didn’t want to as it might be career ending. He wanted to just rest it. In the end club insisted he have the operation snd the rest is history
The club has fed us all crap for years on incidents and injuries and I’ve heard several different versions of events over that time
Go back and watch Buckley’s presser when it was announced Sidey wouldn’t be returning and watch his face and the words he spoke you will clearly see what I’m talking about
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
IMO Sidebottom's talent has clearly been wasted in the midfield when he should have been a fwd pocket his whole career, thankfully its not too late to rectify that.

Oh it might be, the boss ain’t gonna move him any time soon, maybe the new boss will.

For the first 10 years of his career, why would you put a skilful endurance athlete in the forward pocket when he remains dependent upon supply from further up the ground. It’s not like he’s disgraced himself as an outside midfielder with two B and Fs. Certain players strengths fit specific roles better than others. Skill / talent mixed with gut running endurance is made for the midfield.
Having said that, now that our midfield is preparing for a regeneration of sorts, I can see the benefits of him spending the last couple years up forward and offering up some much needed on field leadership in the front half.

It's really simple - because people who have a nose for goal don't grow on trees, they are match winners and should be played accordingly - just about any buffon can become an endurance athlete to some degree. Forward pocket - glue him there.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:11 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
The morning he was due to depart he spoke to both Pendles and bucks and also had a training program for quarantine sent through and indicated he was coming back
The club found out he wasn’t going when he didn’t arrive in Darwin that’s the absolute facts
The club to save further embarrassment as usual under Eddie’s watch fed us all some propaganda to make it seem legit
I can tell you with 1000% certainty that’s exactly what happened and there was several meetings in the preseason that weren’t happy places to be with the coach captain and Sidey
Watch the body language between Pendles and Sidey closely now it’s clear to see there’s still some angst there
The same person who told me in December 2019 Langdon’s knee was shot and he wouldn’t play again (for which I was accused of being a hater and he was going to be fine and carrying on his career) has told me the Sidey saga
Mate I can remember you reporting what the club reported on Langdon starting with soreness then like 2-4 weeks then 4-6 weeks I said very early on within a month the club wanted him to have a operation he didn’t want to as it might be career ending. He wanted to just rest it. In the end club insisted he have the operation snd the rest is history
The club has fed us all crap for years on incidents and injuries and I’ve heard several different versions of events over that time
Go back and watch Buckley’s presser when it was announced Sidey wouldn’t be returning and watch his face and the words he spoke you will clearly see what I’m talking about

Qldmagpie67 were you also aware Sidey was earmarked to be put up as trade bait by the club and a long promised contract upgrade reneged....after more than 10+ years of loyal service he had every right to feel a bit let down and disgruntled and put personal matters first before the club.

That said, footy is a tough business - ‘loyalty’ is brandied about a fair bit but at the end of the day even though I totally love the guy I would respect the club even more for having made a tough decision and getting top value for him when they could have to help shore up a more positive and successful future by getting a high draft pick or two and freeing up some salary cap. Everything should be targeted towards the ultimate goal - premierships! As cold as that sounds all other things outside of winning flags is superfluous.

If you don’t believe me check it out for yourself - the evidence doesn’t lie.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

It's really simple - because people who have a nose for goal don't grow on trees, they are match winners and should be played accordingly - just about any buffon can become an endurance athlete to some degree. Forward pocket - glue him there.

This! Totally agree. Would be a nightmare matchup and give opposition coaches sleepless nights for sure!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Qldmagpie67 were you also aware Sidey was earmarked to be put up as trade bait by the club and a long promised contract upgrade reneged....after more than 10+ years of loyal service he had every right to feel a bit let down and disgruntled and put personal matters first before the club.

That said, footy is a tough business - ‘loyalty’ is brandied about a fair bit but at the end of the day even though I totally love the guy I would respect the club even more for having made a tough decision and getting top value for him when they could have to help shore up a more positive and successful future by getting a high draft pick or two and freeing up some salary cap. Everything should be targeted towards the ultimate goal - premierships! As cold as that sounds all other things outside of winning flags is superfluous.

The trade situation was after the season and after he didn’t return to the team for the finals so that’s not a relevant point really
Mate the club looked at trading him that’s no secret. He was offered to both Adelaide and Hawthorne neither wanted him at our asking price or his salary arrangement (Phillips was a cheaper option for hawks)
As for the contract upgrade as far as I am aware (and I’m happy to stand corrected) when we signed Beams, Sidey was given a contract extension (until end of 2022) and some of his money was spread out or back ended
Treloar ended up being the innocent victim in the salary cap mess
At seasons end we will again purge the list some more to free up cap space and list spots
Mayne Greenwood and likely Cox will all be gone which will free up more cap space
If we get a new coach as many expect there could be a couple other players shown the door while the club goes for youth and a rebuild on the run
Of the rest of the list if your looking for a ageing player on decent coin to trade away Sidey would be near the top of the list
Players like WHE Thomas C Brown won’t bring anything trade wise nor will they free up loads of cap space as individuals

We can debate forever on this really but I’ll go back to my original points
Since the GF in 2018 his form has dropped away noticeably and his ranking in the AFL standings has fallen accordingly from #43 to #102
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

The trade situation was after the season and after he didn’t return to the team for the finals so that’s not a relevant point really
Mate the club looked at trading him that’s no secret. He was offered to both Adelaide and Hawthorne neither wanted him at our asking price or his salary arrangement (Phillips was a cheaper option for hawks)
As for the contract upgrade as far as I am aware (and I’m happy to stand corrected) when we signed Beams, Sidey was given a contract extension (until end of 2022) and some of his money was spread out or back ended
At seasons end we will again purge the list some more to free up cap space and list spots
Mayne Greenwood and likely Cox will all be gone which will free up more cap space
If we get a new coach as many expect there could be a couple other players shown the door while the club goes for youth and a rebuild on the run
Of the rest of the list if your looking for a ageing player on decent coin to trade away Sidey would be near the top of the list
Players like WHE Thomas C Brown won’t bring anything trade wise nor will they free up loads of cap space as individuals

Since the GF in 2018 his form has dropped away noticeably and his ranking in the AFL standings has fallen accordingly from #43 to #102

Your points are valid and on point mate - can’t argue with the stats (evidence doesn’t lie) however there have been certain mitigating circumstances (both off and on field) which have considerably affected his output and effectiveness no doubt. Given some ‘clear air’ and played in the appropriate position he’ll repay the faith.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 pm

**** I hate being a Collingwood supporter. We’re worse than the Labor party with the amount of backstabbing and finger pointing we all do. We’d turn on the boot studder if he looked at us sideways. Can’t wait til the whole club is burning down like Rome when Buckley, Sidey and even Pendlebury are gone, gonna be years at the bottom to look forward to. You’ll all be begging for Eddie to come back.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:57 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

By the way, Sidey was told early on in 2020, during the season mind you with all the COVID crap going on, that he would be offered up for the right trade at seasons end. Knowing his nature and personality that must have been a massive kick in the guts! Not sure he’s fully recovered TBH.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm

And another point, Sidey stayed with the Pies when he was being wooed by a litany of other clubs (Geelong, Gold Coast, and Saint Kilda to just a few) on big bucks, for far less than his market worth. His current contract was shaved down to accommodate errors made by the club and was promised reparations- which were later withdrawn. As far as I’m aware Treloar is not a victim - he’s still getting his full contract (circa $900k) of which we’re still paying $300k for the next 5 years. If anything Sidey’s been the one screwed over.....
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

Or when you own a Rolls Royce, you don’t park it at the bottom of the street where nobody sees it.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
And another point, Sidey stayed with the Pies when he was being wooed by a litany of other clubs (Geelong, Gold Coast, and Saint Kilda to just a few) on big bucks, for far less than his market worth. His current contract was shaved down to accommodate errors made by the club and was promised reparations- which were later withdrawn. As far as I’m aware Treloar is not a victim - he’s still getting his full contract (circa $900k) of which we’re still paying $300k for the next 5 years. If anything Sidey’s been the one screwed over.....

Agree with this. Treloar’s getting his $900k until 2025.

Also qldmagpie, that story sounds like crap, I have serious questions for whoever told you that. For one thing, media would have been at the airport waiting for Sidey — do you seriously think they wouldn’t have been all over it like seagulls on chips if he was a no show?
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Turning the game since they got out to 27pts.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:56 pm

Would have been a 10 goal plus flogging without Sidey. And people want him gone?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 55 of 76   

Jump to: