Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven’t read through the whole thread so excuse my laziness. I have no issue with his decision to be present for the birth . What concerns me is his lack of want to go through the hoops to return. Even if he missed the west coast game he should be back in whatever hub he needs to be in to rejoin the team the following week. He should assume we win and believe in his teammates to do so. Does this mean sidey believes we are no chance? Feels like it - and feels like he’s simply not interested for the remainder of the year. If I was his team mate I’d feel he had no confidence in me or the other players.

That kind of thinking is for us supporters to bicker over.

But as a player surely if your invested fully you believe in your team and your own abilities to go all the way.

I’ve always loved sidey - but he’s been a bit disappointing this year in my book. Just my opinion. Soft.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 pm

^ As i say, if we lose a close one to the Weagles, say by three points, and hes watching it at home, as he will, if i were him, id feel mighty guilty, strange, that he has let his team mates and club down. Thats my take.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:45 am

I thought that Sidey, mum and bubs were prepared to come back and re-join the hub but it was made too difficult with the isolation requirements.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:25 am

Yep, much like Pendlebury was considering leaving the hub when we were in Perth because he didn't want his wife and kids to be stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks alone. Then they made it easier for the families to meet them in QLD and everyone was happy.

The fact Sidebottom and family were expected to be confined to a hotel room for 2 weeks with no training or anything was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:42 am

^ Yep that is correct. Qld govt demanded he quarantine with other travelers in a strict hotel lockdown (one room). No ability to train, he’d be a couch potato for two weeks. Not ideal. Meanwhile PA break the law by using friends in high places to get their families back into SA and avoid the usual protocols, and not a word from the AFL.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:05 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway

I don’t know 🤷‍♂️. I think this attitude of conditional playing (playing only if he thinks we can win) is distasteful and unprofessional. It may be old fashioned but unless you are suspended or injured, you play if selected.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 pm

^It's not just about him either. His teammates are doing everything they they can to win this game and he would know that our chances would be improved if he played. His decision not to play shows he doesn't have a team first attitude.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm

If we do win against WC, who’s the unlucky guy be who has to be dropped for a player who hasn’t even trained in a month?

Seriously, it’d be a miracle if Sidey played in a second final, he’d only be a chance for the prelim. Big ask
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Easton Wood farewells pregnant wife and daughter as finals fight begins

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/easton-wood-farewells-pregnant-wife-and-daughter-as-finals-fight-begins-20200928-p55zv0.html
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway

I don’t know 🤷‍♂️. I think this attitude of conditional playing (playing only if he thinks we can win) is distasteful and unprofessional. It may be old fashioned but unless you are suspended or injured, you play if selected.

But he probably wouldn't be playing this week anyway! QLD government expects 14 day quarantine in a hotel room, WA govt wants 7 day quarantine for teams coming from QLD! Although West Coast I noticed were at home despite coming from the same state...

So was he ever actually a chance to play this game or was he simply going to need to go to QLD, isolate for 14 days and then have to train and get himself up for a semi final having not played for 2 months, having not left his room for 2 weeks and that's only IF Collingwood have beaten West Coast.

Otherwise he does his 2 weeks, team loses and he turns around and heads back to Melbourne having not played!
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

But he probably wouldn't be playing this week anyway! QLD government expects 14 day quarantine in a hotel room, WA govt wants 7 day quarantine for teams coming from QLD! Although West Coast I noticed were at home despite coming from the same state...

So was he ever actually a chance to play this game or was he simply going to need to go to QLD, isolate for 14 days and then have to train and get himself up for a semi final having not played for 2 months, having not left his room for 2 weeks and that's only IF Collingwood have beaten West Coast.

Otherwise he does his 2 weeks, team loses and he turns around and heads back to Melbourne having not played!

Couple of things here- from what I understand the afl shut down their quarantine hub which allowed players to train while in quarantine. The qld government have not changed their rules the entire time this was all in question.

Sidey should have been back in time for west coast game - there’s lots at play here and multiple reasons the logistics didn’t work out - but win lose or draw - he should be back in qld getting ready to join the team after the west coast game. He should be assuming we win. Believing in his team mates and the club.

It’s likley we won’t win. Odds are against us. But that’s a moot point.

He should be rejoining the club. How many months off will he have after a few more weeks??

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm

You are right. I would not be able to stop myself from frothing at the mouth if we end up losing by a few points. He probably wouldn’t give a shit that some fans are angry. And I say that from a position of being a father to two kids.

Another interesting point is purely hypothetical. Would Sidebottom playing after a near two month break be better or worse than the player who replaces him?

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:32 pm

September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Couple of things here- from what I understand the afl shut down their quarantine hub which allowed players to train while in quarantine. The qld government have not changed their rules the entire time this was all in question.

Sidey should have been back in time for west coast game - there’s lots at play here and multiple reasons the logistics didn’t work out - but win lose or draw - he should be back in qld getting ready to join the team after the west coast game. He should be assuming we win. Believing in his team mates and the club.

He should be rejoining the club. How many months off will he have after a few more weeks??

I think you make some good points there.It’s clear that Sidebottom could have gone back to Qld if he’d really wanted to.But unfortunately he dithered for too long about his intentions and took too long to make up his mind.He would have missed the first final anyway because he took so long to decide what to do.

Other players and clubs have handled the situation much better,having their partners with them up in Qld and having their babies up there.Two Weatern Bulldogs players just had babies up in Qld in the last couple of weeks and won’t miss any finals games.Typically,it is only Collingwood who will be without players during the finals due to the Covid 19 rules.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm

September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

I think you make some good points there,It’s clear that Sidebottom could have gone back to Qld if he’d really wanted to.But unfortunately he dithered for too long about his intentions and took too long to make up his mind.He would have missed the first final anyway because he took so long to decide what to do.

Other players and clubs have handled the situation much better,having their partners with them up in Qld and having their babies up there.Two Weatern Bulldogs players just had babies up in Qld in the last couple of weeks and won’t miss any finals games.Typically,it is only Collingwood who will be without players during the finals due to the Covid 19 rules.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:16 pm

[quote="doriswilgus"]
September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

I think you make some good points there,It’s clear that Sidebottom could have gone back to Qld if he’d really wanted to.But unfortunately he dithered for too long about his intentions and took too long to make up his mind.He would have missed the first final anyway because he took so long to decide what to do.

Surely the club should have given him a timeframe with the Covid restrictions in mind by which to make a decision? Terrible situation made worse by the club🤬

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 49 of 76   

Jump to: