Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott Pendlebury and the Brownlow Medal.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:04 am
Post subject: Scott Pendlebury and the Brownlow Medal.Reply with quote

As we know Pendles is one of the greatest players the club has seen.

He's about to turn 29 in January and hopefully we'll see some more good years from him yet.

But can he still win the Charlie? Matt Priddis (2014) and Gary Ablett (2013) won it at age 29, so its not like age is a factor. Newly awarded Sam Mitchell was also 29 in his now winning year, 2012. And of course our current coach was 31 when he took home the medal back in 2003.

Pendles highest finish was 4th in 2010. (Swan finished 3rd). In 2016, he polled 17 votes for an equal 14th (or equal 9th depending how you look at it).

He is currently 3rd all time in Brownlow votes received by a Collingwood player. (14 votes behind Bucks and 36 votes behind Swan). And is actually 22nd all-time for votes received and would need another 28 votes to crack the top 10. (From the players above him to not win the medal are: Scott West, Scott Thompson, Joel Selwood, Leigh Matthews & Brent Harvey).

So can he come out and take the thing home, or has Treloar become our best hope of seeing the medal around a Magpies neck?

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw 33-1 a few months ago and figured he represented the best value of the list - would be backing him and Libba and the little Essendon Merrett at the current odds.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:39 am

To win it a couple of things have to go our way. Firstly we need to make finals because winning teams procure the most votes. Secondly Pendlebury has to hope that Treloar doesn't take too many votes away from him. Thirdly Pendlebury needs to stay injury free all season - he doesn't take games off but he won't attract any umpire votes playing with broken ribs as he did at the start of this season.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:29 am

Pendles has no chance.

Jordan De Goey will be our next Brownlow medalist.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 am

Treloar is my tip.....possibly next season.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:45 am

Pendles won't win the Brownlow because he now gets used to "fill gaps" in our team, and we have many.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him used more down back in 2017, or forward, we have plenty of areas that will need filling, and Bucks and the coaching group, as well as Scott himself, will look to use Pendles to fill those gaps.

He's still by far the best player we have.

I always say the exceptions on him are so high, that if he doesn't have a 30 possession, 2 goal game he's seemed to have failed, which is just plain wrong of course.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 am

Players in winning teams win brownlows so his chances hinge on so many factors outside his personal control.
Honestly our next chance to win it would be Treloar in a couple years time.
Pendles will finish as our most vote getter in th Brownlow and a top 10 all time but that unfortunately will be his only successes in this award.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 am

mattys123 wrote:
Pendles won't win the Brownlow because he now gets used to "fill gaps" in our team, and we have many.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him used more down back in 2017, or forward, we have plenty of areas that will need filling, and Bucks and the coaching group, as well as Scott himself, will look to use Pendles to fill those gaps.

He's still by far the best player we have.

I always say the exceptions on him are so high, that if he doesn't have a 30 possession, 2 goal game he's seemed to have failed, which is just plain wrong of course.

Agree with this.

Also, he is not a flashy as other mids. You look at Judd, D. Martin, Danger and even Ablette - they all look manic or "burst" from a contest. This is what the umpire sees. What they don't really see is the disposal efficiency or score involvement etc. Judd would get 3 votes in games of 35 touches at 50% eff. Ablett would get 3 where half his touches went backward. All great players however if Pendles get 30-35 most think hes just had a good game. Look into the stats that matter and hes probably been the most dominant player on the ground.

In short, he makes it look too easy too often. His stats last year beat Selwood in every aspect and yet Pendles couldn't make AA where Joel was named captain.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Treloar is my tip.....possibly next season.

Have backed him @ 25/1

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:14 am

My gut feeling is that he will run out of time, but bloody hell, I hope it happens.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:23 am

Can you please rephrase that with fewer ideas, or different thoughts?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:30 am

Pendleton doesn't stand out enough in our games to guarantee three votes. Given how bad we are, he would need to be Ablett like is get votes in losing games and I'm afraid he just doesn't stand out.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:32 am

I seriously don't give a stuff about the brownlow. I give more credance to the Players Association award judged by their fellow piers.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:00 pm

skaman wrote:
I seriously don't give a stuff about the brownlow. I give more credance to the Players Association award judged by their fellow piers.

Yeah, tend to agree, Brownlow has lost a lot of credibility over the last few decades.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Pendleton doesn't stand out enough in our games to guarantee three votes. Given how bad we are, he would need to be Ablett like is get votes in losing games and I'm afraid he just doesn't stand out.

He's Pendles like and as good - if not better value - in his own way as Abblett, nobody can cruise through a game winning 30 odd possessions and distributing to advantage consistantly with as little apparent effort.

This is where the Brownlow voting breaks down, too much is inspired by the flashy plays when teams get on a roll.

One of the all time greats who I was priveleged enough to see play, Bobby Skilton - triple brownlow medalist - would probably not have won a single chaz in these current days simply because he was not a showy player.

We have gone too far down the American path of 'winning is everything' now for true champions to be acknowleged - you now have to 'sparkle'.

Hence the brownlow is more a popularity contest than a serious acknowlegement of consistently fine play and sportsmanship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: