Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I sometimes wonder if there are any good world leaders. I mean, Jacinda's okay I guess, but it's pretty slim pickings, isn't it?

I was going to say something along the lines of those traits being a prerequisite to the job. Don't be fooled by Jacinda either, she's just as bad, just puts on a good media show, a bit of charisma and doesn't have a head like a smashed crab. If she was a fat dude nobody would care.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm

“Whichever lizard you vote for, a lizard gets in.”
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Wokko wrote:
Don't be fooled by Jacinda either, she's just as bad, just puts on a good media show, a bit of charisma and doesn't have a head like a smashed crab. If she was a fat dude nobody would care.

Yer right. Why not go the rest of the way with that view and say what she looks like in a bikini?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 pm

To be fair, Wokko has a point that leaders are often judged on their looks and that a conventionally attractive younger woman stands more chance of becoming a media favourite (and, of course, target of hate in other quarters). I think you'd have to live under a rock to think that hasn't been a factor re: "Jacindamania". It's just garden-variety halo effect in action.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:39 pm

^ That's not "being fair", it's bending over backwards to find a weak excuse for something there is actually no excuse for. Certainly not in this century.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 pm

What exactly in "doesn't have a head like a smashed crab" (i.e. is somewhere in the realm of conventional attractiveness, a pretty rare feat for a world leader) or "if she was a fat dude nobody would care" (surely at least partially true) do you take issue with? I disagree with Wokko on her merits as a prime minister, but, I mean, come on: electoral politics is superficial and image-based, more news at 7.

I would happily wager that c.80% of the Australians who have a positive opinion of her couldn't name three of her signature policies or list as many government achievements. "She seems nice" + seems sane and reasonable + is a relatively young woman surely accounts for a great deal of it. I mean, I'm pretty much describing myself there, and I probably pay more attention to international politics than most people.

Last edited by David on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 pm

The intent was 100% clear.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Seems like we each read it differently, so maybe not?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm

What I said isn't particularly controversial. Attractive people being perceived better and having advantages in life is pretty well studied. Hell I once got hired for a job and got told later that the female operations manager only hired "attractive young men" for the core team and a quick look around the team proved the point. Laughing

I was hardly blowing a gasket over the woman, not sure why a mild and back handed compliment on her looks would set you off so much. What skin do you have in that game?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Tannin wrote:
The intent was 100% clear.

In your head.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm

people who say they dont judge on appearance to some point are full of shit, and as for female politicians copping it, lets go back and look at the Joan Kirner, Pauline Hanson and Julia Gillard comments. And Gina may not a be a politician, but Shes been physically ripped apart here.

And as for taking offence over it, someone should clean up the Trump thread, and other threads he and Boris have been mentioned in, so so so many nasty comments, not all attributed to their politics.

Or are white men fair game?

Wokko is 100 percent correct, I give you Mrs Obama, and the second Mrs Trump, God help Ivana if She was still Mrs Trump. the ageists would be having a field day.

I thought Jacinda was great, but the kiwis i know dont see it that way, not sure why.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Doesn't just apply to the unattractive men either, none of the female (and gay male) commentary I saw on Justin Trudeau when he got in was about his politics. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/02/trump-coronavirus-awol-crisis-leon-panetta

Quote:
Donald Trump has “essentially gone awol from the job of leadership that he should be providing a country in trouble” during the coronavirus pandemic, a former defence secretary and CIA director said on Wednesday.

Leon Panetta, who served in various capacities under nine US presidents, became the latest prominent public figure to accuse Trump of effectively surrendering to the virus and abandoning Americans to their fate, using the military jargon awol, meaning absent without leave.

“This is a major crisis,” Panetta told Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN, noting that top infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci has warned that America may hit 100,000 new cases a day, twice the current rate.

“But the president, rather than bringing together some kind of national strategy to confront this crisis, simply resorts to tweeting about vandalism and other things to kind of divert attention from the crisis that’s there.”

He added: “We have a president that is not willing to stand up and do what is necessary in order to lead this country during time of major crisis. I have never experienced a president who has avoided that responsibility.”
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 am

Quote:
We have a president that is not willing to stand up and do what is necessary in order to lead this country during time of major crisis. I have never experienced a president who has avoided that responsibility.

The last one - indeed perhaps the only other one - unwilling or unable to lead in as time of crisis would be James Buchanan. And we all know how that turned out.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:30 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/07/donald-trump-abuse-father-niece-mary-book

"...Donald Trump’s extraordinary character and outrageous behaviour “threaten the world’s health, economic security and social fabric” and were shaped by his “high-functioning sociopath” father during childhood, according to a bombshell book written by the president’s niece..."

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man by Mary Trump will be published next Tuesday, 14 July. The Guardian obtained a copy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 179 of 222   

Jump to: