Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Some suggestion that the Georgia indictment is a particular problem for Trump because, as the charges are at state level, he can’t pardon himself if he gets into office. (And this is one he absolutely should go down for, too – it’s an open-and-shut case.) I guess it remains to be seen how that would actually play out if he did get voted in, because all of this is obviously totally unprecedented.

Yes,the Georgia case is the most dangerous one for him,because he can’t pardon himself for a crime committed at the state level,and he can’t get one of his Republican underlings like the other nut Desantis,to pardon him either,should they be elected President.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:07 pm

Smells like a Democrat witch hunt, which is not to say there's no truth to the allegations, but each of the separate inquiries have been initiated by prominent Democrats as I understand it.

The sad thing is both that he's clearly the front runner for the Republican nomination while clearly being unsuited to any public office and that the Democrats are so threatened by him that they're pulling out all stops.

What a farce of a political system.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:53 pm

Put all that to one side, though – do you think trying to overturn the results of a democratic election through lies and subterfuge shouldn’t be prosecuted? And if not, why shouldn’t a former president who organised that conspiracy be accountable to the rule of law?

In America, prosecutors and judges are all political appointees, either explicitly or implicitly. The bigger perversion of justice for me is not that Democratic appointees are pursuing this case, but that their Republican counterparts won’t touch it with a ten-foot pole. Their silence is much more damning than any ulterior political motives on the Democrats’ part.

The problem with witch hunts wasn’t that people were being persecuted, but that the so-called witches were completely innocent but nonetheless got hounded by prejudiced mobs looking for blood. Someone who is being pursued by the courts and actually committed the crime that they’ve been accused of (and probably many more; no-one can seriously doubt his guilt here) isn’t the victim of a witch hunt – that’s merely the justice system working as it should.

Ultimately, this doesn’t affect his electorability as he’s still allowed to run and win (which is a rule that I support, incidentally, though find it strange that convicted criminals can run for office but are barred from voting in many states). So this isn’t standing in his way; but if it costs him credibility, then good, because it should. Even ignoring his laughable unsuitability for public office in general, what he did after the 2020 election should bar him from ever holding the presidency again – and a functional system would have ensured that by impeaching him to begin with.

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 pm

Quote:
Put all that to one side, though – do you think trying to overturn the results of a democratic election through lies and subterfuge shouldn’t be prosecuted?

If he did, absolutely. The key tenant of democracy is free elections.

I'm not defending him or saying he didn't do it, I know he had a hissy fit when he lost, but the allegations have to be proven.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:32 pm

That’s very true but I feel that the evidence will be overwhelming to prove the allegations. Not looking good for him even at this early stage. However I have got my popcorn machine ready to go and watch the circus 🎪 🤡
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:20 am

Given how comically inept he and his legal team were, I think it's highly unlikely they did anything to cover their traces or give them some sort of legal out. What I've heard is that they're planning a free speech defence, which would be ludicrous under the circumstances. Trying to goad others into committing crimes on your behalf (like asking the Georgia election official to "find" 11,000 votes) is flagrantly illegal, and obviously not covered by the First Amendment.

Sometimes if you step on enough rakes, one will hit you in the face, and that's what seems to have finally happened to Trump and co. here.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:36 am

This numpty has always thought that he was above the law and has got away with many things that the common person would not have done. But the game is now up and Trump knows it. He has to face the music arranged by people, most of whom he hasn’t appointed, doesn’t know and doesn’t like. So now the arrogant Trump has become a sooky sooky la la type whinging and whining about the situation that he has brought on himself. However he is still entitled to a fair trial and legal process as much as can be provided to someone of his stature. It will be very interesting to see what happens.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:01 am

This article makes the point that, even before any of the cases are heard, Trump may already be in contempt of court by writing social media posts calling the judge corrupt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/16/us/politics/trump-chutkan-2020-election-truth-social.html

The likelihood that they won’t get him on that suggests that he’s not the subject of a witch hunt and, if anything, being treated with kid gloves. Trump certainly seems to believe it’s one rule for him and one for everyone else, and unfortunately the American justice system hasn’t done much so far to suggest otherwise.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 pm

David wrote:
This article makes the point that, even before any of the cases are heard, Trump may already be in contempt of court by writing social media posts calling the judge corrupt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/16/us/politics/trump-chutkan-2020-election-truth-social.html

The likelihood that they won’t get him on that suggests that he’s not the subject of a witch hunt and, if anything, being treated with kid gloves. Trump certainly seems to believe it’s one rule for him and one for everyone else, and unfortunately the American justice system hasn’t done much so far to suggest otherwise.

Indeed, Trump is being treated with kid gloves. His most criminal action of all, to organise a fascist mob to attack the White House with a view to overthrowing the US constitution and installing Trump as a presidential dictator, is not mentioned anywhere in the charges.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:20 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
David wrote:

Indeed, Trump is being treated with kid gloves. His most criminal action of all, to organise a fascist mob to attack the White House with a view to overthrowing the US constitution and installing Trump as a presidential dictator, is not mentioned anywhere in the charges.

Because he didn't incite an attack on the White House. I can prove it to be true.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:33 pm

Interesting article. https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/sick-of-trump-surviving-every-new-outrage-blame-bill-clinton-20230816-p5dwzj.html

Premise is, Bill Clinton lowered the bar on what's acceptable as POTUS and Trump is following the playbook.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:02 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
David wrote:

Because he didn't incite an attack on the White House. I can prove it to be true.

I bet you can also prove that the moon landing didn't happen.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting article. https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/sick-of-trump-surviving-every-new-outrage-blame-bill-clinton-20230816-p5dwzj.html

Premise is, Bill Clinton lowered the bar on what's acceptable as POTUS and Trump is following the playbook.

Can't read the article because of the paywall in the Age, so can't comment on the argument offered there.
However, what is true is that the Democrats are the ones responsible for the kid glove treatment afforded to Trump. They want to maintain a "strong Republican party" (Biden's own words) so that they can get bipartisan support for their support for Ukraine as a spearhead against Russia. Therefvore, for 2 years, they have allowed Trump- a fascistic billionaire who attempted to overthrow an election - to roam around free, promoting his lying claims that he was "robbed". Systematically, the Democrats sought to cover up the extent of the coup attempt: that, for example, it was supported by substantial sections of the military intelligence apparatus, and was not just the mad idea of the criminal individual Trump. The fact that now, sections of the Democratic party have decided to indict Trump only means that they view him now as too much of a loose cannon, who is derailing their attempts to placate sections of the Republican party.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:20 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

I bet you can also prove that the moon landing didn't happen.

Nah, but I, and every court in the world can prove he is innocent of inciting any attack on the White House

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:44 pm

Wow,you speak for every court in the world now.😳Such confidence,one would almost say hubris.Whatever happens your man is going down,and there’s nothing you can do to save him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 219 of 222   

Jump to: